Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
That's what i've been seeing as well. Overall the market for these seems rather small. Everywhere else needs more of the traditional truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think city dwellers and maybe even those in the suburbs will really appreciate the Santa Cruz. Cities and burbs are high-population density areas, so there could potentially be many buyers. The people who need or want a full-size pickup truck will not be interested in the Santa Cruz. I hope Hyundai decides to build it. I will definitely buy one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That sucks, one the plus side, there will be guys who want it bad enough to import one, which brings to mind Hennessey Performance... if there's any shop that will import and tune one... it will be them.
lefthandutes.com

hennessey is a waste of money imo..

Only vehicles that have been certified for use here can be registered and driven so a it can't be legally imported. (Well it could, but you have to wait until a car is 25 years old to import it). You would have to buy a Chevy SS and import the Ute body and swap the components.
that's the only option if you want a new one. too bad chevy priced the ss into the stratosphere.

but if you look through that lefthandutes site, they've done plenty of older ute conversions based on the g8 or gto platform.

i looked into it right after pontiac folded, and they were quoted in an article saying that the conversion costs about $30k, assuming they can locate a salvage-titled american car for the base of the conversion.

Only ute style vehicles except the el camino that I have heard of actually selling have been in australia.
mexico has some successful lines(tornado), as well as south america(lumina). but none meet US safety regulations, so you either need to wait 25 years, or you can try to import just a chassis, and then motor-swap it and title it as a kit car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
They don't meet safety standards? Why? is it the vehicle itself, or is it something fundamental about the ute body type?

·
Registered
286 Posts
They don't meet safety standards? Why? is it the vehicle itself, or is it something fundamental about the ute body type?
Its not that it doesn't meet the standard. It has to be certified by the government to be legally sold here for emissions, crash safety, and other requirements (eg. lighting performance, sound levels, etc). Someone has to do all that testing which is a very extensive process, so it is not cheap.

Then think of all the records systems there are where the VIN, make and model have to be identified; insurance, etc.

Also not to mention Australian cars are right hand drive.

·
Registered
729 Posts
lefthandutes.com

hennessey is a waste of money imo..
That's what i've noticed recently, it seems they price partly on branding since they've built that up quite a bit and i'm sure we all know how branding plays into that especially when it's a coming from a company like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
no. this is for any car outside of the US market. any vehicle older then 25 years old can be legally imported, but anything newer then that needs to be certified to meet US safety regulations--all countries have their own safety regulations, and the US has some of the strictest, so most don't meet US standards. there are some that can be imported, but it's a very specific list, and most are rare exotics, or people with too much money and/or political power lobbied to get a specific car made legal to import.

this is some good info on it, and if this specific linked article doesn't cover it, check some of his others concerning that car. he went into a lot of specific detail about importing cars while going through the process.

I?m Importing A 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R From Japan

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm sure if there was enough demand they would sell utes in the US, but I just don't think that is what people are looking for. Smaller trucks, yes. Utes, not quite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
diesel debacle

the VW diesel debacle has to give Hyundai concern...yet it could be viewed as a golden opportunity IF the engine described in the concept vehicle can deliver acceptable emissions levels! The vacuum created in the diesel market by the volkswagen shenanigans could provide a boost to an independently certified Hyundai green diesel. (I know...questionable terminology) The real key to acceptable sales figures might just a hybrid option and/ or 4 cylinder turbo. The Santa Cruz design is a home run and I believe their demographic is bigger than many nay sayers will admit.

In the early 2000's Toyota almost passed on building the BB which came to be the Scion XB which prompted the Kia Soul, thus creating a sizeable segment of compact van/utility/wagon/hatch vehicles. Please bury the Subaru brat compares because it's like comparing kindergarten finger painting to the Mona Lisa!
I'm nearly eligible for Medicare, currently drive an XB, and have already given a deposit to my local dealer for first right of refusal on their 1st Santa Cruz

·
Registered
729 Posts
the VW diesel debacle has to give Hyundai concern...yet it could be viewed as a golden opportunity IF the engine described in the concept vehicle can deliver acceptable emissions levels! The vacuum created in the diesel market by the volkswagen shenanigans could provide a boost to an independently certified Hyundai green diesel. (I know...questionable terminology) The real key to acceptable sales figures might just a hybrid option and/ or 4 cylinder turbo. The Santa Cruz design is a home run and I believe their demographic is bigger than many nay sayers will admit.

In the early 2000's Toyota almost passed on building the BB which came to be the Scion XB which prompted the Kia Soul, thus creating a sizeable segment of compact van/utility/wagon/hatch vehicles. Please bury the Subaru brat compares because it's like comparing kindergarten finger painting to the Mona Lisa!
I'm nearly eligible for Medicare, currently drive an XB, and have already given a deposit to my local dealer for first right of refusal on their 1st Santa Cruz
Toyota seems like they could be coming back strong with the upcoming scion iR, just not sure if it can overtake what the Kia did, but it will be interesting to see.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just seems like this scandal was the death knell of the diesel engine. better to put resources toward hybrid and electric vehicles in stead of diesel. You may get some good years from diesel but it is not an investment in the future.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just seems like this scandal was the death knell of the diesel engine. better to put resources toward hybrid and electric vehicles in stead of diesel. You may get some good years from diesel but it is not an investment in the future.
What makes you say we may get some good years from diesel? Any facts you have to support that? Funny how you're saying that meanwhile car makers are coming out with diesels. ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I mean pretty much what you just said. There are good diesel engines coming out, but in the long run, diesel doesn't have the potential to be clean enough for the standards that are being set into the future in terms of emissions. So there is a time in the near future where they will still be viable, but ultimately all the vehicles will be transitioned to EVs, fuel cells, or at least hybrids. Companies would be better served to invest in technology that will have more longevity. Investments in diesel have a short shelf life at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes that's part of it, another thing is trucks are at often associated as being more of a sporty product that attracts an enthusiast following, more than what the typical SUV/CUV crowd is able to pull in.
Ya know Tacoma (Tacos), the compact version, pre '06 I think, had a great following, more so I believe than the current mid-size trunk that they (Toyota), Chevy (Colorado), GMC, & Nissan (Frontier) sell here in the USA. But now, no one sells a compact PU in the US. If ya want a compact PU you have to find a used one that's at least 10 years old or older and the current owners seldom want to sell because there is no new replacement. But now, Hyundai, hopefully, is bringing an updated, modern version of a compact PU. One that hopefully will be capable of high 30 mpg and is NOT a tank with (4) full size doors that's capable of moving an army of people and 10 tons of whatever. Even though a lot of people buy these behemoths most , as previously mentioned, do not use them for what they're built for. Instead, it's that substitute for pecker size or something along those lines. Very few actually NEED that size of a truck. Anyway, if Hyundai does go thru & build the Santa Cruz, one that's close to what has been presented, I think they will be seating on a gold mine. Hopefully they will keep the version they've presented. If there are also others later that prefer a (4) door, large cabin, family hauler, fine, build one of those also. Just don't do away with the (I think) sporty version, (2) doors plus the rear, semi hidden, suiside doors, the great looks, the 4 wheel drive (a rear wheel drive option would also be nice), both manual and automatic options should be available, and, of course, that great high 30 mpg and at a down to earth price.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think that young people care about image and "luxury" and that type of stuff, but they don't like excess. They want a vehicle that is capable and utilitarian, but not oversized to a degree that it will never be utilized. Young people want technologically advanced, efficient and utilitarian vehicles. Doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thirty years past being a millennial, and I have never owned a pickup.
But this Santa Cruz has me very interested, very excited.
While I still love my FJ Cruiser, the best vehicle I have ever owned, I want something sporty and versatile, with decent gas mileage.
To my eyes, the SC is the sexiest 'truck' I've ever seem....a cross between a sports car and an El Camino.
I'm fine with the suicide doors and a smaller bed, as long as it has AWD or FWD and I can do some modest towing, like my boat or BMW cycle.
I've had several GM Jimmies, mid sized vans, two and four door Buicks and Chevs, a Corvette, etc., but this SC reminds me of the feeling I got when first saw the Pontiac Solstice concept, a design that I put in GM's top five of all time. I bought a Solstice....sold it when my wife died.
I have the same yearning for this compact truck.
But I too hope an announcement comes soon, one way or the other.....in the next few months.
In the meantime, I'll baby the FJ.
If the SC isn't made, I have no second choice replacement.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm thirty years past being a millennial, and I have never owned a pickup.
But this Santa Cruz has me very interested, very excited.
While I still love my FJ Cruiser, the best vehicle I have ever owned, I want something sporty and versatile, with decent gas mileage.
To my eyes, the SC is the sexiest 'truck' I've ever seem....a cross between a sports car and an El Camino.
I'm fine with the suicide doors and a smaller bed, as long as it has AWD or FWD and I can do some modest towing, like my boat or BMW cycle.
I've had several GM Jimmies, mid sized vans, two and four door Buicks and Chevs, a Corvette, etc., but this SC reminds me of the feeling I got when first saw the Pontiac Solstice concept, a design that I put in GM's top five of all time. I bought a Solstice....sold it when my wife died.
I have the same yearning for this compact truck.
But I too hope an announcement comes soon, one way or the other.....in the next few months.
In the meantime, I'll baby the FJ.
If the SC isn't made, I have no second choice replacement.
I'm not convinced by any means that the Santa Cruz will end up with suicide doors. I just don't see the point. What benefit do you get from the suicide doors?

·
Registered
729 Posts
No center B-pillars. Easier access into the cab.
That's what i'm all in favor of with these most likely to only have just the driver and a passenger sometimes, it's going to make grabbing something from the back that much easier, and even help with its cool factor.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts