Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Method # 1, with bed extender, the 12' kayak sits flat on the bed.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

the bed has enough room to fit 2 kayaks

Vehicle Tire Car Hood Automotive tire

Pro: Better aerodynamics, very secure for long distance
Con: bed space is occupied, vehicle total length can be problematic in tight situations.

method #2, utilizing SUP carrier and crossbars, kayak facing down and mates flat with the carrier.
There are dedicated canoe/kayak carrier that hugs the hull of the kayak and might be more fitting for carrying kayaks, but having kayak inverted and on the SUP carrier works fine for me as long as the straps are not too tight to deform the hull of the kayak.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Pro: vehicle length not compromised, bed space is intact
Con: destroys the aerodynamics and mpg, depends on how secure you trust the roof crossbars, long distance travel potentially worrisome. water, dirt, sand, etc can potentially drop on the roof.

How do you carry kayak(s)?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,076 Posts
I know which one looks more secure to me! I probably wouldn't trust the rooftop solution without at least a front tie-down. On the highway, that would be potentially a lot of lift over the span of those cross bars. I haven't tried my 12' Catch 120 in the SC yet - because I neither have the cross bars yet OR the trailer hitch to try a bed extender. I think I'd at least want a strap on the front though, if I'm going on ANY highway, for peace of mind if nothing else. I think either is fine, as long as it's securely attached.

Diggin' the wheels - are those 17 or 18"?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know which one looks more secure to me! I probably wouldn't trust the rooftop solution without at least a front tie-down. On the highway, that would be potentially a lot of lift over the span of those cross bars.
My thoughts exactly, however, SC doesn't seem to have a front tow hook to attach a strap, maybe Maverick has if I remember correctly.
I have the engine bay/hood anchor for straps, but as soon as I open SC's hood, there is just way to much plastic near the hood closing edge and I can't find a secure and good enough place to drop the anchor. If the strap tension gets too much, I might risk breaking those fragile plastic trims in the engine bay.

Diggin' the wheels - are those 17 or 18"?
Thanks, those are 18" stock size

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
That was something I meant to look for. There SHOULD be a spot to screw in a tow hook ... almost everything has one somewhere. Hmm. Looking at a picture of my front end ... unless it's hidden somewhere in the lower grille on the passenger side, no, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to screw in a tow hook. Yikes. Nothing in the owner's manual that I can find about one either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Method # 1, with bed extender, the 12' kayak sits flat on the bed.

View attachment 3047

the bed has enough room to fit 2 kayaks

View attachment 3048

Pro: Better aerodynamics, very secure for long distance
Con: bed space is occupied, vehicle total length can be problematic in tight situations.

method #2, utilizing SUP carrier and crossbars, kayak facing down and mates flat with the carrier.
There are dedicated canoe/kayak carrier that hugs the hull of the kayak and might be more fitting for carrying kayaks, but having kayak inverted and on the SUP carrier works fine for me as long as the straps are not too tight to deform the hull of the kayak.
View attachment 3049
Pro: vehicle length not compromised, bed space is intact
Con: destroys the aerodynamics and mpg, depends on how secure you trust the roof crossbars, long distance travel potentially worrisome. water, dirt, sand, etc can potentially drop on the roof.

How do you carry kayak(s)?
Thanks for sharing. I also have T-Bone extender to carry my yaks and been wondering if it would be enough to support a 14' kayak on the bed when attached to the SantaCruz. Can you share how long is your kayak?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing. I also have T-Bone extender to carry my yaks and been wondering if it would be enough to support a 14' kayak on the bed when attached to the SantaCruz. Can you share how long is your kayak?
mine is 12', I bet 14' should work too with bed extender

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Good break down on the pros and cons of both. I've used method #1 with my current truck (5 foot bed, 12 foot yak) and would likely do the same with the SC. However the space savings gained in method #2 makes it a necessary option at times.

Another option is a regular boat style trailer: https://bestkayaks.reviews/best-kayak-trailers-reviews but your looking at $1,000 to 2,500 for a true tow behind. I have no experience with them but they should be light enough to move around by hand and can carry multiple yaks plus bikes or other gear. My father tows a pond type electric boat on a little trailer like this behind his Ford Escape. These trailers are so simple you assemble them yourself using just hand tools.

there doesn't seem to be anywhere to screw in a tow hook. Yikes. Nothing in the owner's manual that I can find about one either.
Pretty scary there is no attachment point on the front. I am just waiting for the first "I got my SC stuck" post due to someone doing a bit too much off roading and can't figure out how to recover the vehicle. On a BOF truck you can always find some place to hook up a tow strap.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good break down on the pros and cons of both. I've used method #1 with my current truck (5 foot bed, 12 foot yak) and would likely do the same with the SC. However the space savings gained in method #2 makes it a necessary option at times.

Another option is a regular boat style trailer: https://bestkayaks.reviews/best-kayak-trailers-reviews but your looking at $1,000 to 2,500 for a true tow behind. I have no experience with them but they should be light enough to move around by hand and can carry multiple yaks plus bikes or other gear. My father tows a pond type electric boat on a little trailer like this behind his Ford Escape. These trailers are so simple you assemble them yourself using just hand tools.
my kayak is only 39 lbs, and thus raising it on to the roof by hand isn't that bad. But I see that some large kayaks, especially those fishing ones can be 80 or 100 lbs.
Those heavy ones are even difficult enough to get up to the bed height, so roof load is not an option, unless they are raised by hullavator, which has a load capacity under 75 lbs.
I'd get a trailer for big kayaks.

but, who am I kidding, I can't back up a trailer at all. Hopefully Ford's trailer auto steering can be adopted by other OEMs

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use my TBone extender vertically to align with the roof racks.. I carry 2 13ft Paddleboards on top of each other.. ZERO issues.. very secure.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yeah, my Catch 120 is 79lbs. Not bad to load into the bed, a bit heavy/awkward to try sliding up onto the roof. But we'll see what I decide once I get the cross bars and the hitch. Still haven't heard anything ... was expecting to hear about them last week. But I know that everything is all backordered and stupid right now, so I'm being patient.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
941 Posts
My father tows a pond type electric boat on a little trailer like this behind his Ford Escape.
That's a really nice 1-2 person fishing boat that I wasn't aware of. To bad shipping is over $900 to California. The stability and dual electric motors tucked up into the hull bottom make that very attractive for us getting older folks. Plus it has a small light weight Honda outboard option too.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
That's a really nice 1-2 person fishing boat that I wasn't aware of.
My dad LOVES his. With the dual electric motors it drives like a tank and can spin around on its own axis using the foot pedals which keeps your hands free for casting. His has a tiny (2 HP) gas outboard that moves it along great and sips fuel. Very stable due to the hull design with lots of storage in the flat bottom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts