Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The timestamp youtube videos should start right at the hardest offroad portion for comparison, and verdict seems to be that both could use a bit more aggressive tires for this purpose.

Santa Cruz Limited:

Ford Maverick FX4 (offroad package):

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
So, both struggled, Santa Cruz struggled less, even without an "off-road" package and "all terrain" tires on it. ;)

They are both just as off-roady as I would expect from any similar SUV.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
The more he uses the course he built, the more he is finding it is hard for anything other than a hardcore off-road vehicle. Mostly due to the dirt being so soft that is almost like sand. He was hoping that rain would compact the dirt. But they are in an area that gets very little rainfall every year.

But it is interesting nonetheless. As it really tests all vehicles.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
Now that I've watched the Mavrick video, he went way more aggressive with it. Because it's his own truck. If it was a Ford press truck, I think it may have been in trouble since he would be worried about scraping or damage to their truck.

But again, neither are hardcore off-road trucks. Even the FX4 having off-road heritage, is lacking die to no locking rear diff like the Bronco Sport. The Bronco Sport does quite well. I could see the Mavrick getting some upgrades down the road. Maybe a Raptor varient?

I enjoy their videos and like that they made a course to test on. The snow videos are great as well.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really curious to see an offroad review of a SE or SEL AWD with some true trail-ready tires mounted to the 18s. I would wager that would be the most capable since the automatic would be creep friendly, and you could get a bit of extra clearance if you err a bit on the larger side tire wise.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The FX4 pack doesn’t really add much: 2022 Ford Maverick FX4 the extra modes are likely what Canadians get, just software tweaks to the AWD system. There are no mechanical changes other different rear shocks and more aggressive tires. But hey you get a sticker, that helps I bet :p

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Good short demo. Thanks for setting up the videos to start at the AWD testing point.

I'm surprised that the spinning wheels aren't stopping and power going to the ones against the log on both quickly (?). They seemed pretty equal in ability, but the Santa Cruz does it looking good! :cool: The Santa Cruz was all tan, athletic and sporting board shorts while surfing the dirt curl. The Maverick had a sunburned neck, was over fed and wearing overalls while shoveling the pig sty. :ROFLMAO:

The Maverick appeared heavier and bigger in the video. Not sure if it is, but for some reason I got that impression. Must be that boxy truck look that isn't my thing and never has been.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts