Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was all hot to replace my subaru baja I bought new in 2003...still lots of life left in it at 175,000 miles...
but now that I have been following the Maverick & comparing price points for the awd & gas mileages & bed size...I might be leaning towards the Maverick. I want to drive both when they are both available in my area...but it is not looking like a Santa Cruz purchase for me.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
Depending on your priorities, the Maverick may be a better fit. Depending what trim/options you are or aren't looking for can really swing the decision in either direction. But if you're on the fence, the best bet will definitely be to wait until you can test drive both. Sounds like that may be a ways off yet though. The Maverick is a couple of months behind the SC in terms of production, and everyone is low on inventory with the chip situation.

The Maverick has its merits, for sure. Especially if you're looking at the entry-level models, and the hybrid in particular for mostly city driving. I don't expect the Maverick will have the same fun to drive factor as the Santa Cruz though. Ford is trying to build F-150 buyers. Hyundai is trying to give SUV buyers a new option to keep them from buying trucks. :)

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
226 Posts
So I was all hot to replace my subaru baja I bought new in 2003...still lots of life left in it at 175,000 miles...
but now that I have been following the Maverick & comparing price points for the awd & gas mileages & bed size...I might be leaning towards the Maverick. I want to drive both when they are both available in my area...but it is not looking like a Santa Cruz purchase for me.
I'm confused as to why someone would start a thread stating they've been following the Maverick and a Santa Cruz is not likely in their future now? What kind of responses are you expecting?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm confused as to why someone would start a thread stating they've been following the Maverick and a Santa Cruz is not likely in their future now? What kind of responses are you expecting?
Its fair to collect feedback. Plus he said he was test driving both and had not ruled out the SC completely.

The bed size difference is just 2" unless you count what you lose due to the sliding cover, so its not a big difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In honesty, I'm torn between the two as well. I plan to buy a small pickup when I retire (~2 years) and price is a major factor. They are two EXTREMELY different approaches to the compact pickup (sorry, "SAV") category. I'm even playing with the idea of a Frontier (having owned two Nissan pickups and one car, I like them.) A dash of reality and a request for feedback are reasonable.
So, here's what I see:
Price and utility (and MPG) are your drivers? The Maverick is the way to go, hands down. You won't regret it, it seems like a great little truck.
Luxury touches, fun-to-drive and style are your thing? Go Santa Cruz. You'll pay more, but the Mav doesn't offer ventilated seats (I'm moving south, so that's a thing for me.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its fair to collect feedback. Plus he said he was test driving both and had not ruled out the SC completely.

The bed size difference is just 2" unless you count what you lose due to the sliding cover, so its not a big difference.
Actually the bed size is a big difference. When you add in the bed extender the difference in real life I bet adds more than 2 feet. I have used my bed extender in my baja a great deal. The Santa Cruz does not offer one while the Maverick does.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Actually the bed size is a big difference. When you add in the bed extender the difference in real life I bet adds more than 2 feet. I have used my bed extender in my baja a great deal. The Santa Cruz does not offer one while the Maverick does.
Like this?

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium 2.5T AWD
46 Posts
I had a Frontier I traded for my SC a 2018 with the 4.0 and 5 speed. Loved it great truck. I never would have traded it for anything else. The SC has been my "holy grail" vehicle for years since I saw photos of it at one of the autoshows. I get the logic and and weighing your options and making the best decision for you and your individual situation. I too would have been able to do that with any other car/truck. This was different. I'm a fat kid and this was the birthday cake. I made every other vehicle decision with my head. This one was with the heart. I wish you best of luck in your comparison shopping. All that matters is your happiness level.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Depending on your priorities, the Maverick may be a better fit. Depending on what trim/options you are or aren't looking for can really swing the decision in either direction. But if you're on the fence, the best bet will definitely be to wait until you can test drive both. Sounds like that may be a ways off yet though. The Maverick is a couple of months behind the SC in terms of production, and everyone is low on inventory with the chip situation.

The Maverick has its merits, for sure. Especially if you're looking at the entry-level models, and the hybrid in particular for mostly city driving. I don't expect the Maverick will have the same fun to drive factor as the Santa Cruz though. Ford is trying to build F-150 buyers. Hyundai is trying to give SUV buyers a new option to keep them from buying trucks. :)
Saw a Video on the FWD ECo-Boost Maverick and it chirped the tires without tiring...as they were trying to show the acceleration. I think the Hybrid will be tamer...or will it with that electric motor's low-end torque off the line.
Either way, they both should e fun.. With the Cruz at least you'll look like your going fast with the design :)

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
With the Cruz at least you'll look like your going fast with the design :)
Oh, you won't LOOK like you're going fast ... oh sweet mama, this thing FLIES!! As you may have guessed by that, I went for a test drive today. Dealer had his demo all plated up and ready for me when I arrived this morning. Turned out it wasn't the Preferred (Canadian base model) but the Trend (one notch below Ultimate/Limited ... that's what, SEL Premium in the US?). So it had my digital dash, leather seats, etc. Oh baby, it's everything I wanted it to be and then some! Now, the long, painful 3-4 weeks wait for mine to arrive. Maybe it'll show up early. What surprised me was I looked at the VIN and found it was almost 600 higher than the one I have ordered. Guessing it's the chip shortage affecting the top trim models, eh?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not that you are wrong, you just know a lot of things that are simply not true. Seems like a bit of a trolling post in a SC forum. Keep reading James, you will find actual info here... going from a Baja to the Maverick, for many, does not make sense if you are looking for the same experience. The Baja to a SC seems ... logical. Lots of good info here.. best of luck if you go for the Ford.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not that you are wrong, you just know a lot of things that are simply not true. Seems like a bit of a trolling post in a SC forum. Keep reading James, you will find actual info here... going from a Baja to the Maverick, for many, does not make sense if you are looking for the same experience. The Baja to a SC seems ... logical. Lots of good info here.. best of luck if you go for the Ford.
Well then shame on Hyundai & FORD for spewing out tons of lies. YOU should call them & set them straight!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well then shame on Hyundai & FORD for spewing out tons of lies. YOU should call them & set them straight!
I was reffering to people, posting statements that are untrue (no bed extender from Hyundai??).. we expect "marketing" from OEMs.. pretty normal. My point to you was that there a lot of folks who have been following the SC for YEARS here.. tap these folks for good info instead of posting things that are simply not true. The bed extender was revealed months ago and has been shown on many YT videos.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is indeed an OEM bed extender for the SC. There was one the dealer was putting on a Premium as I was picking up my SEL.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I understand the OP. I am currently split between the two. Obviously they are two very different approaches to a small pickup.

The Maverick hybrid powertrain appeals to my retiree's budget. There is also something appealing about the Model T plainness.

But...I really like the in-bed trunk and bed steps of the SC. Also, I think the bed rails give several inches more depth than the Maverick. (Useful when hauling some stuff to the compost dump.)

A critical thing, for this old guy with a bad back and arthritic neck, will be ease of entry.

The lower height of the SC worries me-but I will find out.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts