Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Overprice is putting it mildly. Outright robbery might be more correct.

But this will pass. I have chased other just introduced and desirable cars, and the crazy dies down and you can get what you want at a fair price eventually. You will not be the first kid on your block to have one however. lol

But if you need a vehicle now - then an SC is a risk because there are very few on the ground that are not spoken for and you would have to look at other small trucks, because it is hard to say when the SC will be easily available.

No dealer in the US of A would pass up a chance to sell a product for less than what it is worth, and that is defined by what people will pay. If people pay those idiot prices than that is what they are worth.

So I agree it is overprice at more than MSRP but that will not last forever. It is a very. very cool new take on what a truck really needs to be as personal transport.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just purchased a Black SEL Premium online for MSRP and locked in the $500 finance rebate. Had to search high and low to find the right inventory and dealer not marking them up $3-5K, but if you do the work, you should be able to find one for MSRP if your willing to travel. Fortunately for me, my dealer is only about 90 minutes away. Like I said, I did all the paperwork online today. Pick it up tomorrow morning, subject to final test drive and inspection. But local dealers here in Northern Virginia are greedy little b**tards and to their credit, buyers here must have more money than they know what to do with because they are paying these premiums.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've been looking g for the perfect Santa Cruz...but now here in Colorado, $4500 over MSRP, guess I'll pass
Its like that with almost all the vehicles unfortunately. Dealers are loving it because they are paying nothing on insurance and what not to keep vehicles on their lots for 90 days until they get sold, since they are selling right away, they reduced their staff lowering overhead costs further, and know the customers are coming to them and just buying at or over MSRP with little to no haggling and sometimes not even a test drive and MSRP has plenty high profit margins built in which they sweeten for themselves further often with lackluster financing options.

At first I thought, well no big deal by February consumers will have spent most of the money that is burning a hole in their pocket from not having taken vacations and gone out to eat and what not, but now I see that they expect 2022 to be just as bad, so prices might be just as high or higher next year. Not cool.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium 2.5T AWD
46 Posts
When we were at the dealer (It was very crowded) I think they were having some kind of hot dog and balloon promo day. I knew it was going to be a real issue because the dealer added their mark up panel to the sticker. If there is a 3rd panel attached to the sticker this is a great clue that you are dealing with the stealing. When they came up with a number that was 6 grand over that my wife blew a gasket! it was AWESOME! she started yelling "Bait and Switch! over and over. She made sure that everyone new that I had made an appointment and had come to buy the SC that I had reserved at this price. (Say whatever) That of course wasn't true I had reserved base engine/ FWD in Black but they had no idea that I had already stalked 4 in the area. This was our first stop. The manager calmed the situation down and came to me with a far better number that I could deal with. I know they still got me. 38000 for SEL Premium 2.5T AWD. I love it and I'm happy. I didn't get the exact color I wanted but the white has won me over.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
417 Posts
Hey Velosterfan, Arapahoe has several at close to MSRP, check them out. They are good people.
They quoted me $5k over for AWD and $3K over for FWD. The dealer in Golden only has 2 coming in that were not already spoken for. Wrong interior color.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I welt through the painful process.I started off at $5000 over MSRP, WTF!! I end up throwing an offer the last of the month for $1000 over MSRP. They accepted it. I really needed the vehicle now and wanted the AWD. I’m sure the insanity will stop soon, but in NYC metro area this vehicle is not available at most dealers yet. If you can hold out, the last day of the month is a numbers game to them. Salesmen need to turn cars.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's more than insane here on the west coast. I can't even find my desired builds and colors within less than 1,500 miles. The ones I do find are 1,500-2,500 miles away. :(
Some have opined that MSRP buyers will be slapping their foreheads in a few months, when supplies finally overrun demand and prices drop. But, with the 'COVID and chip shortage' tag team, we'll likely be on the ropes for quite awhile. And, of course, inflation is already warming up. MSRP buyers may be smiling at their good luck long after this is all over.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
Honestly, I won't slap myself for buying at MSRP, even if deals come out later. Deals ALWAYS come out later. If you wanted 10 years to buy a new Pinto, what a deal you could get! LOL Pay what you're willing to pay when you have the opportunity. If you're happy the day you get the keys, that's all you can ask for. Just like any technology, there's always an early adopter tax.

I look at those who wait as they got a deal, not that I got screwed over. And I can be happy for those who wait for the deals while I'm cruising around at 160 smiles an hour in my full price Santa Cruz. (Once it arrives...)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honestly, I won't slap myself for buying at MSRP, even if deals come out later. Deals ALWAYS come out later. If you wanted 10 years to buy a new Pinto, what a deal you could get! LOL Pay what you're willing to pay when you have the opportunity. If you're happy the day you get the keys, that's all you can ask for. Just like any technology, there's always an early adopter tax.

I look at those who wait as they got a deal, not that I got screwed over. And I can be happy for those who wait for the deals while I'm cruising around at 160 smiles an hour in my full price Santa Cruz. (Once it arrives...)
Nobody paid more for a Santa Cruz...They paid MSRP or less... ;)

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
26 Posts

Honestly a great way to look at it. Glad I got mine and now that I put my hitch on I plan on enjoying it even more 👍

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never pay msrp or over..🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I was amazed to see the average SC is selling for 1600 over sticker these days when I got about 2k off sticker on my limited. When you go Into a dealership do not let them take charge, you’re the boss of that deal and make sure they know it. It’s a Hyundai, not a Bugatti. There’s tens of thousands of them out there and I’ll shop around until someone makes me a deal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts