Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Never pay msrp or over..🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I was amazed to see the average SC is selling for 1600 over sticker these days when I got about 2k off sticker on my limited. When you go Into a dealership do not let them take charge, you’re the boss of that deal and make sure they know it. It’s a Hyundai, not a Bugatti. There’s tens of thousands of them out there and I’ll shop around until someone makes me a deal.
Just to stay grounded, there are only 3324 Santa Cruz, so far. :)

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,119 Posts
I’ll shop around until someone makes me a deal.
That's great, if you have more than one option in a 200 mile radius. or 6 in a 400 mile radius where 3 of those 6 have the same owner. LOL I'll take MSRP on this one, convince myself they gave me $10k off, and sleep well at night. But if you have that much time and energy to dedicate to saving a few bucks, power to ya! I bow to your phenomenal negotiation skills.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There’s over 400 just on autotrader still for sale and this car just hit the US a few weeks ago.
That's great, if you have more than one option in a 200 mile radius. or 6 in a 400 mile radius where 3 of those 6 have the same owner. LOL I'll take MSRP on this one, convince myself they gave me $10k off, and sleep well at night. But if you have that much time and energy to dedicate to saving a few bucks, power to ya! I bow to your phenomenal negotiation skills.
If only there was a way to communicate without having to drive to every dealership.

I guess I’m just not the kind of person who gives up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Never pay msrp or over..🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I was amazed to see the average SC is selling for 1600 over sticker these days when I got about 2k off sticker on my limited. When you go Into a dealership do not let them take charge, you’re the boss of that deal and make sure they know it. It’s a Hyundai, not a Bugatti. There’s tens of thousands of them out there and I’ll shop around until someone makes me a deal.
I'd seriously like to know where you got $2k off MSRP on a SC. That just seems highly unlikely to me so soon after launch and given what everyone else has been paying to date. $500 off maybe, but $2K? People will want to know so they can make a pilgrimage to wherever this holyland of SC shopper's paradise is located.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,119 Posts
I guess I’m just not the kind of person who gives up.
Also the kind that is willing to go to any lengths (and distance) to save a buck. Nothing at all wrong with that, but the reality of going to the other side of the country to get a "deal" and save two grand can pretty quickly be lost when you have to fly out to wherever you bought it, taxi/rent a car/transit to get to the dealership (who isn't so likely to go out of their way to pick you up after just eating $2k of their profit already) and then put gas in the tank/meals/hotels to bring it back home. Sooooooooo ... I just don't see it being worth it. FOR ME. Then look what can happen if your local/nearest dealer doesn't want to deal with your warranty repairs and says go see your selling dealership. Welllllllllllllllllllll snap.

Like I said, you got a better deal than pretty much everyone else here will get this year. Congrats! But there's more to the cost of that purchase than the dollar amount on the bill of sale. You still have to get it home from wherever you found it. That costs money too, even if you pay a car hauler to deliver it to you. They don't do it for free. The time searching, emailing, calling, back-and-forthing, etc isn't free either. Some people live for that stuff though, priorities and the value we place on our time is different for everyone.

In the end, it comes down to each person being happy with their purchase. If that means you're happy with MSRP, cool. If you're happy paying a $5k premium? Cool. If you're not happy until you've managed to get it below dealer invoice somehow, congrats! That's cool too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
when a car is brand spanking new... how many of those 3324 are sold?...
No way to know that. @Chuck, who was our data retrieval guy for that kind of info finally found his own Santa Cruz and dropped off the forum a few weeks ago. @CaseyH's spreadsheet lists new VINs as they appear, but the data he gets is only what's on the Monroney sticker.

Maybe someone has monthly sales totals...?

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,002 Posts
No way to know that. @Chuck, who was our data retrieval guy for that kind of info finally found his own Santa Cruz and dropped off the forum a few weeks ago. @CaseyH's spreadsheet lists new VINs as they appear, but the data he gets is only what's on the Monroney sticker.

Maybe someone has monthly sales totals...?
Two dealers I contacted questioned me about how I was able to reference AON#'s to VIN#'s. My dealer claimed the vehicle I reserved wasn't the vehicle that came in, but the AON# on my applied reservation matched the VIN# on the vehicle from Chuck's list. The other dealer manager called me after the fact and questioned me about someone hacking into their system. This manager didn't let his sales people see what he can see or what I happened to know from Chuck's list. I have wondered if Chuck got caught hacking or how he was able to get AON# information? I hope he is fine and enjoying his new cruiser.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I welt through the painful process.I started off at $5000 over MSRP, WTF!! I end up throwing an offer the last of the month for $1000 over MSRP. They accepted it. I really needed the vehicle now and wanted the AWD. I’m sure the insanity will stop soon, but in NYC metro area this vehicle is not available at most dealers yet. If you can hold out, the last day of the month is a numbers game to them. Salesmen need to turn cars.
Dealers need to have inventory to turn over. That has not been the case. So unless dealers are hoarding vehicles off site, i don't see them in hurry to do extraordinary deals.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess it has to do with where you live, and the demand for the limited. I didn't want a limited. The only option I wanted was the Adaptive cruise control.
That came std on the '17 rav 4 xle for a lot less cash. If the Hyundai isn't what I expect, I'll dump it and never look back.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Simple supply and demand at work.

Once SC are stacked up on dealers lots you'll see deals. Until then they are going to charge MSRP + whatever insane fees suckers are willing to pay. The problem we are seeing is this inventory shortage doesn't appear to be short term, its might be a full year before the OEMs recover. And they may never want to go back to the old way of stocking lots of vehicles, this chip shortage has many dealers asking to be permanently limited to keep transaction prices high. Before competition would drive prices down, now lack of supply is driving prices up.

The SC is the fastest selling vehicle in the US right now: https://www.thedrive.com/news/42368...nes-corvette-as-fastest-selling-new-car-in-us so why discount when it be sold tomorrow anyway?

·
Registered
732 Posts
The problem we are seeing is this inventory shortage doesn't appear to be short term, its might be a full year before the OEMs recover.
Biggest problem is I don't think most of the big companies want a recovery. High demand low volume turns out is very profitable. I found an article recently that showed at least the billionaires in the US from 2019 on have drastically increased their wealth compared to pre-2019. It was always going up since the 90s, but COVID has caused a massive spike in profits for them. It reminds me of the LCD fiasco, where the world's largest LCD manufacturers were convicted of a conspiracy in which they met up in a hotel in Asia and knocked out a deal where they would intentionally all limit their production to drive prices up and made a fortune. Even after the massive fine for being caught, they made out like bandits. In this case its probably not a conspiracy, but everyone is happy with the status quo. Even dealership owners have seemed to adapt by reducing their overhead costs laying off salesman and just having a handful left for low costs and almost no insurance costs and the like since vehicles barely sit on the lot, and can be sold at high margins that more than makes up for their low volume.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Even dealership owners have seemed to adapt by reducing their overhead costs laying off salesman and just having a handful left for low costs and almost no insurance costs and the like since vehicles barely sit on the lot, and can be sold at high margins that more than makes up for their low volume.
Yep, dealers are loving this new world. OEMs are not so happy, their business model has always been based on volume. If they make a low volume vehicle its needs to be based on a high volume platform to insure its profitable. The real profit comes from the higher trim, full loaded models.

Since the SC is based on the high volume Tuscon I bet Hyundai is not too worried (yet) about the lack of SC units on the lots.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yep, dealers are loving this new world. OEMs are not so happy, their business model has always been based on volume. If they make a low volume vehicle its needs to be based on a high volume platform to insure its profitable. The real profit comes from the higher trim, full loaded models.

Since the SC is based on the high volume Tuscon I bet Hyundai is not too worried (yet) about the lack of SC units on the lots.
Manf's usually had to offer dealers and customers major incentives to push their vehicles. Not anymore!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Subaru Crosstrek - took it for month of September…
The SC is gone from the list... hmmmm. So is the rush over or are these crazy over MSRP dealers stuck with something they can't sell? Or are people just waiting for the right SC to arrive, for example the color or trim options on the lot aren't popular. Whatever the reason this gives me hope I might be able to get one this year.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts