Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this isn't what we get in the newly redesigned model and it shouldn't be if they deliver on the originality like they've mentioned. Would like to see a double cab, but the bed they've placed on this isn't nearly big enough imo. Doesn't need to be full size, but not much utility offered here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This will be a far cry from what we see in the redesigned production model, but the proportions might be similar. I'm okay with the short bed, so long as it retains the ability to extend like we saw on the concept.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't hate it, but its far too similar to their other crossover models. I do prefer it in the 4 door configuration and I hope this is something that Hyundai still considering for the production model.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Multiple cab sizes might be dependent on whether Hyundai decides to release more than one bed as well. To reduce their production cost, they might just go monospec for launch. Once they've got some traction then they can consider expanding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since the Ranger can't be ordered with a regular cab, that might be one way the Santa Cruz can capitalize on a missed opportunity. Many owners of previous gen models are looking for an exact replacement, and have no interest or need for backseats.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Whether or not the SC can be used as a work truck will be dependent on the powertrain that Hyundai chooses. Ford has delivered some amazing numbers with the new Ranger and on a 4 cylinder no less.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This rendering might as well be called the Santa Fe SUT because that's what it really is instead of what a true pick up should look like.
Did they forget about the concept?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no established criteria for what a pickup should look like. Its all about the versatility and capability of the platform underneath. The renderings are a step in the wrong direction because Hyundai has already said the SC will be much different than anything else in their lineup.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Definitely not but we can't discount what Hyundai originally put out. Rare has any of their past concepts amounted to nothing, in fact they try to deliver on as much as they can. For the Santa Cruz that means a lot from this concept.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ford sells Ranger single cabs; just not in North America.

Physics says that if you design a 4/5 passenger truck with 5' bed on 4 wheels with mandated crumple zones, it is going to be Honda Ridgeline/Ford Ranger/Toyota Tacoma size. Does Hyundai really think they can sell a mid size pickup? (Hint: Honda only sold 50k in its best year, new model is barely selling 30k)

I was hoping for 'halo' vehicle in Santa Cruz - a Mazda Miata. 2 seats (maybe some sort of 3rd jump seat), small box, light towing. Sell 10k/yr to enthusiasts, but more to get foot traffic into dealership to sell the bread and butter.

A unibody clone pickup isn't going to sell 30k /yr; there's too much competition now and Hyundai doesn't have a "name" for that market. So, if its going to be small volume; make it attractive to that niche market.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Honda went a bit too conventional with the styling of the Ridgeline and the tow rating was very poor. Its very much a pickup for people who don't really need one. The Santa Cruz doesn't have to be a top seller to be a success. If they are able to take some market share away from the established competitors, I'd say that's a good first step.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Came across another rendering and this one stays much closer to the original design of the concept. Since so much time has passed since it was last seen however, I'm sure they've taken an entirely new design philosophy.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ford is taking a bit of a risk by doing so or might not benefit by much. Looking at Toyota might provide the reasons why. The company one of the most profitable and for good reason. Consolidating consumers to a single good product might be the solution for 2021+

·
Registered
56 Posts
Even Toyota has had to completely redesign a bunch of their class leadings models like the Camry and Rav4 to stay competitive. The design language has long since taken a back seat to build quality and reliability, but newer TRD models are looking to change that. Hyundai is doing the same thing with the N performance models.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Honda went a bit too conventional with the styling of the Ridgeline and the tow rating was very poor.
Honda has went more conventional with 2nd generation Ridgeline (fake demarcation between cab and box) because consumers told them it didn't look enough like a truck... Can't win for losing.

Tow rating is way over hyped - 90% of full size pickups never haul anything heavier than groceries/tow anything. And way before I would come close to my truck's tow rating, I would have borrowed my son's 3/4 ton.

Hyundai can allow scope creep i.e. huge payloads/tow ratings if they want to undercut the market.

Give me 1,000 payload and it will cover 95% of anything I've had to carry.

A "D" class J2807 rating (Wells Cargo TW162) 5k lb weight is more than enough for what I intend to tow...
A "C" class rating (Wells Cargo SW8) 3,850lbs tends to be limiting on any sort of travel trailer.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Even Toyota has had to completely redesign a bunch of their class leadings models like the Camry and Rav4 to stay competitive. The design language has long since taken a back seat to build quality and reliability, but newer TRD models are looking to change that. Hyundai is doing the same thing with the N performance models.
Apparently something major is planned for the next Tundra as I heard which could very well mean more updates to the Tacoma. That's if a new styling direction is introduced along with anything that can be carried over

1 - 18 of 18 Posts