Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
This is great news - one of my biggest worries is the SC becoming a sales dud and losing both factory and aftermarket support. I owned a rare Volvo (a C30) and it was a nightmare getting parts or service for it.

The bad news is this allows Hyundai (really their dealers) to jack up the price if quantities are limited.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just a gut feeling: Many of those early reservations are going to drop when the pricing is announced. Especially given the pricing on the Maverick. I expect the starting price point to be at least 5k higher on the Santa Cruz. Also, if they don't get an online configuration tool with pricing for options and accessories soon all the thunder about the release is gonna get lost to the Maverick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a gut feeling: Many of those early reservations are going to drop when the pricing is announced. Especially given the pricing on the Maverick. I expect the starting price point to be at least 5k higher on the Santa Cruz. Also, if they don't get an online configuration tool with pricing for options and accessories soon all the thunder about the release is gonna get lost to the Maverick.
It won't change my mind. I don't want a basic interior and want some luxury feel. I am a huge fan of the electronics, interior and styling of the Santa Cruz and the Maverick doesn't really do it for me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is great news - one of my biggest worries is the SC becoming a sales dud and losing both factory and aftermarket support. I owned a rare Volvo (a C30) and it was a nightmare getting parts or service for it.

The bad news is this allows Hyundai (really their dealers) to jack up the price if quantities are limited.
Refundable reservation deposits are not sales. With the Maverick being unveiled, and the possibility of Hyundai dealers gouging prices on a potentially hot seller, it's still early for Hyundai to tout a hit. I have a reservation.....have heard nothing from a dealer, nor pricing, updates or notifications from Hyundai; other than the useless call from the "concierge" months ago. What's the old saying? Don't count your chickens till they're hatched?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Fee, fie, foe, fum!
I smell the BS of an advertising man!

On the one hand, we are told that the number of (fully refundable) "reservations" are half of total Santa Cruz production -- but production numbers are not known yet -- and are undoubtedly adjustable.

On the other hand, we hear that that number of (fully refundable) "reservations" constitute "almost sold out" for 2022 Santa Cruzes.

On still another hand, those (fully refundable) deposits are for a vehicle with an unannounced price, and could evaporate at the first hint of 'sticker shock.'

·
Registered
11 Posts
False scarcity. This is the same playbook that fly-by-night clothing sellers use on social media. Silly attempt to create FOMO. The marketing department has nothing to announce, but they've been largely silent on the model for two months (not counting the lackluster mileage announcement). I'm thinking the plant shutdown has really thrown a wrench into this rollout.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'm thinking the plant shutdown has really thrown a wrench into this rollout.
For sure. This announcement provides them with an excuse for why you can't find a SC at your local dealer. They are sold out? Ummmm more like not built yet.

Also this could also be a flash-in-the-pan scenario where the SC sells really well for 6-8 months fulfilling the gotta-have-it crowd then dips into a low volume seller... but I hope not.

I do believe with the Maverick announcement many got their deposits back and even more refunds could happen once pricing is announced. I fully expected the SC to be more expensive then the Mav so a higher price will not put me off. However the lack of information is disappointing. Releasing pricing later does get the hype machine cranked back up again to drum up intrest. Ford went with one big flood of information where Hyundai seems to be taking the slow drip approach.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Refundable reservation deposits are not sales.
Fee, fie, foe, fum!
I smell the BS of an advertising man!
THESE ^^

It should read "There are already enough people interested in the Santa Cruz to cover 50% of planned 2021 production."

No mention of production numbers or that your indicated interest doesn't even reserve a Santa Cruz at this point. Hopefully that will change once the build site is up and pricing is out. We will see.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
I'm optimistic that the SC will be priced near a similarly specced Tucson. If they hit that mark, within 1-2k, it's a slam dunk for me.

I think this will be a solid market. There has been a HUGE void in the small truck market since Ford dropped the Ranger and GM made the Colorado/Canyon into almost full size trucks. Plus people are much more invested in SUVs now than way back when Subaru failed with the Baja (which I was and remain a fan of). It should also be smaller than Ford's old Explorer Sport-Trac too. I still see a few of those on the street.

As far as this "story" goes ... since when does 50% amount to almost sold out?? Even if they were firm, committed, non-refundable sales ... that's only half. Let's talk almost sold out when they hit 85-90% of their full production run. 50% at this point means nothing. And since they don't release what the full production quota even is ... it's half of nothing! There are so many false assumptions in that story that it's just sad. Anticipating that the last 50% of pre-orders will be as fast as the first is a fool's game. That first 50% are the early adopters and fans of the concept who have been waiting 6 years for a production model. Then Ford dealt a blow by SERIOUSLY derailing their hype train. Search YouTube for Santa Cruz and Maverick ... see how many results you get for each one! Ford's marketing did a good job - especially with pricing and configurations being released right out of the gate.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To put it into perspective, both in amount of interest and the absurdity that a $100 refundable deposit equals a sale -- apparently Telsa has over 1 million reservations for the Cyber Truck - Tesla has over 1 million Cybertruck reservations in latest tally - Electrek

Here's what Google trends shows for search history for the last 90 days....

It sure looks like people like to have pricing, actual detailed information and an online configurator to play with based on the results :whistle:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Here's what Google trends shows for search history for the last 90 days....
Very interesting. This proves that Hyundai's marketing screwed up badly and Ford's team crushed it.

Having an online configuration tool is clearly an advantage as people keep going back to Ford's site to play those "what if" scenarios. I wonder if the SC will ever get near that level of interest. The needle barely moved after Ford's announcement, as if people have no idea the SC is even a compact truck choice. If I was on Hyundai's team this chart would have me scared to death.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Very interesting. This proves that Hyundai's marketing screwed up badly and Ford's team crushed it.
Tucson marketing was total fail as well, I literally drove a Tucson Limited at my dealership that was offered on sale to me before I even saw any reviews from the major youtubers out or even a build option anywhere on Hyundai for weeks. I wasn't even there to look at the Tucson, I just complained about some lack of features on the Kona to the salesman and he casually mentioned that they got the new Tucson in recently that was on the other side of the lot (could have easily not even seen it). Hyundai is like the anti-hype master. 😆

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ford's got the well known name. Santa Cruz has got everything else, and the name will rise above! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone knows how to find your transition ID?? I deleted the email by mistake and the concierge called me, emailed me asking about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts