Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been patiently waiting to see this little truck for myself before I bought one and I finally got to test drive a sle trim and I loved it. unfortunately it's not the trim I want I much prefer the se trim. to me all the extra stuff the Sle brings just isn't worth the extra $4000 I'd much rather save the money and do without. Ok no problem I'll just go online and reserve one. nope for some reason Hyundai doesn't even have the SE trim listed anymore and they don't even give a price for the sel anymore.
What gives? seriously this is a big issue to me because I'm not spending anymore then 25k on a new vehicle. hard stop don't care how much I love it 25k is my limit. has Hyundai suddenly decided to not make the SE model anymore? maybe not enough people reserved one or something? I feel this would be a big fail for Hyundai if they did. because I will go get a maverick instead and save my money. what you guys think is going on.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Telluride/2014 Chevrolet SS
27 Posts
Ok so I've been patiently waiting to see this little truck for myself before I bought one and I finally got to test drive a sle trim and I loved it. unfortunately it's not the trim I want I much prefer the se trim. to me all the extra stuff the Sle brings just isn't worth the extra $4000 I'd much rather save the money and do without. Ok no problem I'll just go online and reserve one. nope for some reason Hyundai doesn't even have the SE trim listed anymore and they don't even give a price for the sel anymore.
What gives? seriously this is a big issue to me because I'm not spending anymore then 25k on a new vehicle. hard stop don't care how much I love it 25k is my limit. has Hyundai suddenly decided to not make the SE model anymore? maybe not enough people reserved one or something? I feel this would be a big fail for Hyundai if they did. because I will go get a maverick instead and save my money. what you guys think is going on.
The SE is certainly out there, here’s just one example. If you’re looking to get one, you’d have to go through your dealer… the reservation system seemed pretty broken, and now is kind of moot since cars are already shipping and at dealers.

Hopefully you can get a discount, because a basic SE with no accessories or anything is $25,175. And of course that’s before taxes and other fees (or market adjustments). Staying under a hard cap of $25,000 will be impossible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm ok with it being over a little over after TT and L I mostly don't want to spend more then 25k on the vehicle it's self I'll wait longer if I have to. the dealer I talked to said they would give me a $800 discount on what ever I buy so that kinda helps keep the truck itself under 25k before TTL. just got to avoid any unnecessary dealer fees. and I think it will be ok.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They updated the reservation system - with no explanation to people going to the page.

It appears that since the Santa Cruz are arriving at dealerships and somewhat available that they have stopped taking reservations - except for the SEL Premium & Limited FWD that weren't included in early production and will be released early next year apparently.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm in your boat, they should bottle how jelly I am of our Hockey-Americans up North, as they get to equip a basic model with the turbo engine.

I'm prejudiced against superfluous holes in my car, so actually really don't want a sunroof or rear porthole as I think the rear view is so much cleaner with just flat glass, as the way they implemented it, its both manual (would never use) and blocks a lot of view IMO:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont even want the turbo engine lol the way I see it if I wanted to add a turbo I'll just do it myself aftermarket for way less and probably get better results. but turbos add another failure point in my head. and I don't completely trust a dual clutch transmission but I can get a base model with a regular transmission witch is one of the reasons I want a Santa cruz over a Maverick. simple engine and transmission thats been around for decades not much to go wrong. Maverick on the other hand that hybrid with a cvt has me worried add to the fact that it's a ford and made in Mexico and I definitely don't trust it to last long. I have major trust issues with the American brands they all have given me major problems in the past namely transmission issues.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I dont even want the turbo engine lol the way I see it if I wanted to add a turbo I'll just do it myself aftermarket for way less and probably get better results.
Speaking from experience, no chance in ****! :ROFLMAO:

My advice, ALWAYS buy the higher power engine is available if you think you may want more power in the future. Way cheaper and more reliable.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I dont even want the turbo engine lol the way I see it if I wanted to add a turbo I'll just do it myself aftermarket for way less and probably get better results. but turbos add another failure point in my head. and I don't completely trust a dual clutch transmission but I can get a base model with a regular transmission witch is one of the reasons I want a Santa cruz over a Maverick. simple engine and transmission thats been around for decades not much to go wrong. Maverick on the other hand that hybrid with a cvt has me worried add to the fact that it's a ford and made in Mexico and I definitely don't trust it to last long. I have major trust issues with the American brands they all have given me major problems in the past namely transmission issues.
Hyundai has been producing highly reliable Turbo GDI engines for years, nothing to fear.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hyundai has been producing highly reliable Turbo GDI engines for years, nothing to fear.
Have owned several turbo cars since 1979, the factory cars were never a problem. The one blemish was a Scirocco that I had an aftermarket stage 3 Callaway turbo installed; was great until the waste gate failed while racing a Datsun Z; was blowing the Z away till my engine also blew. Ex-wife was very happy when we got flatbedded home, and missed her relative's wedding that we were on our way to. Moral of the story? Stay factory.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I love Hyundai, but with all of their engine recalls, I don't know that I'd describe them as highly reliable. This includes the 2.5T engine made in AL used in the Sonata/Santa Fe & K5/Sorento - recalled engines were used in production until just after the start of the SC production with the same engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts