Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would never listen to 90% of the SiriusXM channels and would opt for the 50 channel $9.99 A La Carte plan if that's possible.

The SiriusXM site says one must have an A La Carte-capable radio. Does anyone know if the SiriusXM radio on the Santa Cruz is A La Carte-capable?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
I normally listen to about 6 channels in our Equinox, but stream several of the app-only ones, wishing they were proper channels I could tune in the car. I'm still curious how the record/rewind stuff works with Sirius. I can't see myself springing for a second subscription ... I'll just put on Spotify/YT Music/podcasts/whatever else instead. I'd just use the app in-car, but most of my drive is a cellular dead zone. Hard to stream with no signal.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
482 Posts
You can subscribe to Sirius/XM for $5/mo (plus fees) all the time, if you tell them you want the cheapest rate possible or you are going to cancel. They usually have 6 month plans for $30. I have been doing that for five years. Don't give them a credit card, just use a Sirius/XM prepaid card from Best Buy. That way you won't have the normal rate deducted from your bank account upon renewal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can subscribe to Sirius/XM for $5/mo (plus fees) all the time, if you tell them you want the cheapest rate possible or you are going to cancel. They usually have 6 month plans for $30. I have been doing that for five years. Don't give them a credit card, just use a Sirius/XM prepaid card from Best Buy. That way you won't have the normal rate deducted from your bank account upon renewal.
Thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the 6 months for $30 package but I can't tell what's included.

Can you confirm whether or not you get the following channels: 6, 7, 8, 25, 26 & 27?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Same here...there's only 6 channels I listen to. What plan do you pay for now?
We're on the $6 and change (after taxes) plan that they throw at you after you cancel. We had turned it off for a while after the free trial expired, but figured for 5ish bucks, it was probably worth it. I would absolutely pay that on an ongoing basis just for the streaming stations in the app. But when they jack it up, jack it up some more, and then add the 18% royalty gratuity on top (that's never advertised in the price, only the fine print) ... nope.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're on the $6 and change (after taxes) plan that they throw at you after you cancel. We had turned it off for a while after the free trial expired, but figured for 5ish bucks, it was probably worth it. I would absolutely pay that on an ongoing basis just for the streaming stations in the app. But when they jack it up, jack it up some more, and then add the 18% royalty gratuity on top (that's never advertised in the price, only the fine print) ... nope.
I like it a lot but I don't drive enough to justify paying full price. Even before Covid I worked from home and even if if drove to work it's only 2 miles.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I cancelled my hardware plans and just using the streaming plan for all my cars now. Cost is $9.99/mo with access to all channels. Works great with Android Auto (I am sure same with Apple Carplay). I also stream on my Alexa at home. Main issue is if you are in an area without cellular access.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep, the advertised price is $30 for 6 months. But after you add in royalties, etc. it comes to about $6.36/mo. Make sure when you talk with your rep that it includes the online streaming option. Ours does, and like Walking Black Bear said, it gives you a lot of additional streaming channels, and it's also nice to listen to on my computer/laptop and even my Alexa and Google Home.

Also, if you use Apple Carplay, you can download the XM app on your phone and tie it with Apple Carplay, and then you can access all the streaming stations through the app right there within Apple Carplay. Some people may not be aware of that either.

·
Administrator
99 Posts
Another option is to park the vehicle for a few months just before the trial subscription expires so that the tuner never receives the "kill" signal. A couple of years ago, I bought a new Miata and only drove it about an hour on the weekends. The rest of the time it just sat in the garage. SXM sends the kill signal repeatedly at first, but eventually stops. Two years later, the trial subscription is still active. :)

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
482 Posts
Another option is to park the vehicle for a few months just before the trial subscription expires so that the tuner never receives the "kill" signal. A couple of years ago, I bought a new Miata and only drove it about an hour on the weekends. The rest of the time it just sat in the garage. SXM sends the kill signal repeatedly at first, but eventually stops. Two years later, the trial subscription is still active. :)
That's why XM is on the brink of bankruptcy, again - too many freeloaders. :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Well, if they'd stop paying their talent so much money to get "names" and go back to the old days of straight up ad-free music ... they could cut some costs. :p
My wife canceled her subscription for this exact reason. Having a DJ tell you they are commercial free is almost as bad as the commercial itself. I'm OK with it as they give updates on tours or what bands are up to, but honestly at times its a bit much with rambling on about nothing.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
but honestly at times its a bit much with rambling on about nothing.
Same issue I have with radio station who run syndicated morning shows, or afternoon/evening shows for that matter, in place of local talent. They talk, but none of it matters, because it isn't about anything. One of the worst examples I had recently was a Winnipeg station running a syndicated evening show out of Toronto. The guy talking is FROM Winnipeg - I worked with him at my old station years ago when he was first starting out. But it was all just random blather about celebrity gossip and whatever. Nothing relevant. It's bean counter radio, and it's the reason they're struggling more than all the streaming options. When you don't give people something relevant that they can't get elsewhere, does it matter if they listen to you or Spotify? The answer is no.

One of the many reasons I left the industry after almost 25 years. That, pay increases, and pensions. LOL Never could have owned a Cruz on radio money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would never listen to 90% of the SiriusXM channels and would opt for the 50 channel $9.99 A La Carte plan if that's possible.

The SiriusXM site says one must have an A La Carte-capable radio. Does anyone know if the SiriusXM radio on the Santa Cruz is A La Carte-capable?

There shouldn't be any reason why not - although the "Music Only" plans or similar usually don't save you much if you ask for a better deal i.e. not pay "retail"
As others have mentioned you'll get email notices (almost everyday) for that $5/Month / six for $30, etc. Last time I played the Sirius "cancel game" I had about $7 in credit on my account and told them that if they can do $67 for a year it's a deal - They kept my streaming and access to almost all the channels - I think no Howard (which I don't care about). I'll likely do the same when my trial ends here in two months with my SC or work another deal like $100 for two radios and streaming. The last time I tried using streaming in AndroidAuto it worked but was difficult to change channels - the audio quality was better.
I actually think that if Sirius offered a "free" version to hardware radio devices they would get more paid subscribers. For whatever reason - I seem to see more value in Spotify than I do in a streaming subscription to Sirius. If they'd offer some deal like 2 radios plus 3 or 4 streaming accounts for $10/ month or $100/ year pre-paid they'd do a lot better (IMO).
Canceling = 2 or 3 hours of my life I'm not getting back every time I "cancel" to get the same deal I just had a week ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of my relatives had his factory radio/headunit replaced in his RAM truck and afterwards had Sirius back again - he thought it was just the default trial but it's be a couple years - apparently the dealership was "supposed" to register the radio - that never happened. Was good for me because we'd been buying them (in-laws) Sirius subscriptions every year for when they travel in their travel trailer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
One of my relatives had his factory radio/headunit replaced in his RAM truck and afterwards had Sirius back again - he thought it was just the default trial but it's be a couple years - apparently the dealership was "supposed" to register the radio - that never happened. Was good for me because we'd been buying them (in-laws) Sirius subscriptions every year for when they travel in their travel trailer.
I think the previous poster is correct that if the vehicle is never turned on while the kill signal is being broadcast it will never deactivate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts