Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,278 Posts
I showed my wife a bit of the video at lunch and said, "I think I found the perfect accessory for the Santa Cruz - a pontoon boat." She said she'd love a pontoon boat. Only problem ... I have nowhere to park one in my yard. Well, there's the front lawn, I guess. :p

This was probably one of my favourite reviews yet - because it's a little more real world than the press tours. Those gravel boat launches and bush roads are ALL OVER my area, and exactly the kind of places my "adventures" are going to take me. Like some of the brutal forest roads into a little rainbow trout lake I've never gone fishing on yet ... but hope to give it a shot with my kayak this fall or next spring. Looks like the Cruz should handle those roads just fine.

·
Registered
TBD
49 Posts
Wow, awesome video. I'd consider that very high praise coming from true, hardcore truck people. Hyundai really combined a sporty drive, comfortable ride, modern interior, and utility of an open bed all into one badass vehicle. This thing is almost perfect for me. I really hope the aftermarket jumps on board with creative bed accessories to get more utility out of the smaller bed. I think the potential is huge.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hyundai really combined a sporty drive, comfortable ride, modern interior, and utility of an open bed all into one badass vehicle. This thing is almost perfect for me.
I've been driving my Dakota for 20 years waiting for something that checks all the boxes: right sized, good mileage, lots of tech and sporty. The SC (on paper) is 95% perfect... I subtract a few points for no memory seats and the stupid rear window porthole.

This was probably one of my favourite reviews yet - because it's a little more real world than the press tours.
For sure. This represents what I would do with a SC - so I was super excited to finally see it action. As I commented on YT I just wish they had done a longer test. They towed 10 miles at an average of like 30 mph so this wasn't a challenge. Still these guys know trucks and didn't say the SC is some wussy joke. It gets the job done and looks good doing it (y)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, too bad about the SC not being ready to tow the travel trailer... but it sounds like power isn't an issue at all, especially considering how quick they got up to speed. I'll be towing my boat (not a pontoon, but about 3000 lbs total between boat, trailer, gas and water toys) for day trips and I'm even more sure about the purchase - looks like a perfect fit. Here in AB I'll have to put brakes on the boat trailer - rule is here 2000 lbs or no more than half the weight of the tow vehicle, and I've not had to put brakes on yet as I was pulling it with my Chevy 6.2l Silverado or my V10 Class C motorhome, but I'll put brakes on to give the smaller SC some help with stopping. Nice to see it pull the pontoon up a crappy boat launch - that seems to be common around here!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good catch, thanks for that. This is exactly the kind of testing I was looking for. I will wait anxiously for the travel trailer test with brake controller.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
764 Posts
at low speeds, when they're doing the gravel traction test, do you guys hear some ticking crackling noise?

If they think that's normal, then I can sleep better now since mine does that on pavement (just not that loud like in the video)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good catch, thanks for that. This is exactly the kind of testing I was looking for. I will wait anxiously for the travel trailer test with brake controller.
Right there with you @Mark. I need 7 pin and the break controller. I'll keep my eye out for a 3rd party one...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Right there with you @Mark. I need 7 pin and the break controller. I'll keep my eye out for a 3rd party one...
Yes I am not going to buy one until they get the 7 ping cable harness issue straightened out. Also my closet dealer said they wouldn't install the hitch and harness, I'd have to take it to a welding shop. I told him then a different dealer would get my business. Also here is a link to a controller another member here posted. As I keep hitting my knee on the one I have in the Colorado and knocking it off. I like the bluetooth idea.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,278 Posts
at low speeds, when they're doing the gravel traction test, do you guys hear some ticking crackling noise?

If they think that's normal, then I can sleep better now since mine does that on pavement (just not that loud like in the video)
I went back and played it again, switched to headphones, and cranked them up. I didn't hear it over speakers, but with headphones, I believe I heard what you're talking about. There was definitely some type of ticking ... like actuators. I thought maybe it was the braking on the wheel that was in the air pulsing, but could be the clutches too. Not sure, but I heard something like you described.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve read ( cant confirm ) that in Sport mode you get a 70/30 power split with 70% of the torque going to the rear wheels. If true that would be the only mode to tow in.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
764 Posts
I went back and played it again, switched to headphones, and cranked them up. I didn't hear it over speakers, but with headphones, I believe I heard what you're talking about. There was definitely some type of ticking ... like actuators. I thought maybe it was the braking on the wheel that was in the air pulsing, but could be the clutches too. Not sure, but I heard something like you described.
and it seems that it's when they engaged in mud mode, which I don't think in the US we get that, we have snow mode I remember

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I’ve read ( cant confirm ) that in Sport mode you get a 70/30 power split with 70% of the torque going to the rear wheels. If true that would be the only mode to tow in.
I believe those are numbers for a Ridgeline. The SC is 50% I think, but only under 37 MPH. I still believe Sport Mode would be best for towing due to the revamped / more aggressive shift points plus I believe its sends power rearward more often in Sport.

Some of these reviewers need to show the AWD torque display while driving so we can understand what is going on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts