Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
... notice the nice physical dials ...
I often see a preference for physical dials here. Never having had a digital gauge cluster with simulated gauge images like I see on the SC pictures, I wonder what is the problem with them...?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Never having had a digital gauge cluster with simulated gauge images like I see on the SC pictures, I wonder what is the problem with them...?
My C7 has digital gauges and I love them - they are somewhat customizable, lots of data can be displayed or hidden if desired. For example there is a screen that shows each tire's PSI, you rarely need this shown but its nice to be able to call it up instantly.

What I've seen mentioned is people are worried about visibility since there is no hood to reduce glare, so how easily can these digital gauges be seen in strong, direct sunlight? Does the display wash out at certain angles? How do polarized sunglasses effect the view? Are they too bright at night? These kinds of things would be my concerns.

I'm pretty sure display tech has gotten to the point where none of these problems will be major issues. However if the screen or display system fails you'll be staring at a void of pure nothing. Long term that is worrisome.

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
56 Posts
from over at the maverick site...( I am not the author)...NOTE the SC PRICING is a GUESS

SC= leather seats with COOLING ( needed here in Lost Wages...was 117 yesterday )...don't know how a "plastic" interior of the MVK would hold up in the Vegas heat (... or the cold of the far North Eh?)
1) That Pwr Rear window on the Lariat sounds neat but how often would you use it?...would like a manual pass through rear window on the SC just to carry really long stuff. ( I have one in my old Frontier)
2) AC inverter (110VAC) in the (rear) Cab of the SC might be helpful too for charging that old laptop
3) Does Hyundai offer WiFi ( hot spot) on any of it's models? ( gotta be a chip of some kind) ...hth

·
Registered
156 Posts
3) Does Hyundai offer WiFi ( hot spot) on any of it's models? ( gotta be a chip of some kind) ...hth
Someone asked that in the Showroom Live session the other day and the response was the Santa Cruz would not be WiFi hotspot capable.

·
Registered
716 Posts
How do polarized sunglasses effect the view?
Very valid question that I never thought of. I love my Rx Polarized Sunglasses, but they leave a lot to be desired for cell phone use. Will be sure to be wearing them on my test drive.

·
Registered
509 Posts
To test, hold your sunglasses about a foot in front of you.
While looking through one of the lenses, rotate the glasses 90 degrees (so that one lens is above the other, instead of side-by-side.)
Note how the sun's glare on horizontal surfaces (ocean waves, car windshields) changes.
Note how reflections on windows disappear.
Note how some TV, computer, and phone screens go dark.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
Very valid question that I never thought of. I love my Rx Polarized Sunglasses, but they leave a lot to be desired for cell phone use. Will be sure to be wearing them on my test drive.
If their product team didn't think that people driving an adventure vehicle wouldn't be wearing polarized sunglasses, they need to fire the lot of them. LOL I'm sure it will be fine with polarized lenses - otherwise it's a serious safety issue. My biggest concern with the digital cluster is how dim it gets at night. I find almost all dashboards these days are too bright at night. And where I live in Canada, I drive a solid 2.5 hours a day in pitch black for several months in the winter. So it's important to me that it gets plenty dim .. and bright for daytime driving. Even our phones struggle to get both of those right, should be interesting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If their product team didn't think that people driving an adventure vehicle wouldn't be wearing polarized sunglasses, they need to fire the lot of them. LOL I'm sure it will be fine with polarized lenses - otherwise it's a serious safety issue. My biggest concern with the digital cluster is how dim it gets at night. I find almost all dashboards these days are too bright at night. And where I live in Canada, I drive a solid 2.5 hours a day in pitch black for several months in the winter. So it's important to me that it gets plenty dim .. and bright for daytime driving. Even our phones struggle to get both of those right, should be interesting.
This should be something we can find an answer to right now. Just need someone with a 2022 Tucson to confirm how dark the dash gets since I expect they are the same part given the interior is largely the same.

·
Registered
716 Posts
This video is dated June 9, 2021 on Youtube. It mentions an Off-Road tired version and that the bed cover is standard at 2.00-2.15. Because he claims Hyundai hasn't released the load carrying capacity yet and they have, I wonder if either of these statements are true? Could there be an advantage to making the bed/trunk cover standard to classify it as a "non-truck" to allow better pricing? Who knows, because Hyundai ain't talking...

·
Registered
859 Posts
I wonder if either of these statements are true? Could there be an advantage to making the bed/trunk cover standard to classify it as a "non-truck" to allow better pricing?
Depends where the video's maker lives. The rolling tonneau cover IS standard equipment in Canada. It's one of the selling points for me.

I think we'll see more variants in the future, N model, "rugged" version, etc. It's the first year, so the options will be a bit limited for now.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
1) That Pwr Rear window on the Lariat sounds neat but how often would you use it?...would like a manual pass through rear window on the SC just to carry really long stuff. ( I have one in my old Frontier)
Its not a passthrough on the SC, would be nice if it were, but its tiny and not at all even with the tonneau. The only way its useful is if its power, and that's because behind the cab is a natural low pressure area. I have one on my Ram, and what you do is lower the front windows and open the back window, drive for a bit down the road, and then close everything. It naturally sucks out all the hot air efficiently without any buffeting. Its only useful if its power, because there's no way you would stop the car to climb over the rear seats to open and close it otherwise.

I have a AC inverter in my Ram, think I've used it once, its not really as useful as you'd think, at least to me. Same with wifi hotspot, if I want one my phone can do that with just a click.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This should be something we can find an answer to right now. Just need someone with a 2022 Tucson to confirm how dark the dash gets since I expect they are the same part given the interior is largely the same.
I can't remember if I was wearing my polarized sunglasses or not or my oakleys, but it was amazing how well the digital dash worked in direct Texas sunlight right at noon with the sun on it. I had no issues.

I don't really even understand the different LCD technologies. For example, I have a phone mount in my Ram next to my 7" infotainment unit. With polarized glasses I see the phone fine, but not the truck's LCD.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your phone is likely a high-end model with an OLED display -- completely different tech from LCD. These don't use polarization to operate so sunglasses don't bother them (plus, OLED generates a bright light from the pixels, so it is easy to see in daylight and dark.)

Reactions: JASmith

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah, very different tech. OLED is great for screens that don't have any fixed info on them, otherwise they'll burn in like plasma TVs used to. The light emanates FROM the pixels, which is why blacks are truly black on them. LCD uses a backlight to shine through the liquid crystals, which is why blacks on an LCD are always a bit grey. IE: my OLED phone is fine in any direction with my polarized lenses, but the LCD on the back of my SLR turns black if I rotate the camera 90 degrees.

Agree on the uselessness of wifi hotspots in cars ... I already have a button on my phone to turn one on/off, and I don't have to pay for YET ANOTHER data plan to use it. We used the hotspot in our Equinox last year during the three month free trial, but it uses the same cell signal as our phones, so the dead zone we drive through every day was just as dead either way. Now, if it used a satellite signal for the wifi and would work in areas with no cell tower coverage, that would be a different story!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Some bad news for the Maverick for those that prefer the Ecoboost option. I just realized that the 8-speed transmission used is based on the GM 9T, a transmission developed by GM that has been mocked quite a bit for being a crappy transmission, and in fact even though Ford got it for free from GM as part of their partnership they didn't even initially want to use it in anything as it was less efficient than even GM's old 6-speed. Ford seems to have tried to polish the turd as it were, removing its 4th gear and putting a couple tweaks on it, but that's not all that confidence inspiring: The New Ford 8F35 8-speed Transmission

So if I go Maverick, I'm definitely going hybrid to avoid that transmission.

·
Registered
891 Posts
If this is the source of the Ford unit then it doesn't sound like a transmission you want:

GM already has major issues with its A8 (rear wheel drive) transmission: The GM 8-Speed Transmission Needs To Go Away ASAP: Opinion A8 problems are well documented in the Corvette world. Plus I know someone who had GMC Canyon and got rid of it just because of this crappy slush box.

·
Registered
716 Posts
In reviewing the ford Escape Hybrid I found that they are flat towable in both FWD and AWD Hybrid versions. Then I found this Maverick towing spec sheet which states the same for the FWD Hybrid Maverick.

Another spec comparison to consider. Under FOUR-WHEEL-DOWN AVAILBILITY it states "Yes" for the 2.5L Hybrid. That's going to make a lot of motorhome owners very happy!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Another spec comparison to consider. Under FOUR-WHEEL-DOWN AVAILBILITY it states "Yes" for the 2.5L Hybrid. That's going to make a lot of motorhome owners very happy!
Definitely a plus, but isn't that a bit long and heavy of a vehicle to tow everywhere? If it were me, I'd just get a couple of 30mph moped style ebikes and not tow anything at all, or if I had to tow a vehicle I'd go with a 2500lb Fiat 500 which can be flat towed and picked up used super cheap.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I see the hitch/tongue is 400# Someone said 200# on another post..??

21 - 40 of 58 Posts