Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, with the right price/trim (XLT Hybrid for example), a cheap interior isn't the end of the world, but I want to see it in person first. The reliability issue is a concern though, as this is the survey from 21, meaning they had a year to report how many issues they had, so predicted reliability for the next year would be based on that. Luckily the hybrid by federal law has a long warranty, but the bumper/bumper is poor compared to the Hyundai.

I'm not sure that a car has to be expensive to have decent interior materials though in 2022, as this new Civic is $22.7K after destination fee:
BTW, while the Hyundai interior is amazing, notice the nice physical dials and minimal use of gloss black so you're not afraid to touch it. This is something that Hyundai can improve on IMO.
LOOKS retro GM of the fifties and sixties. Maybe even a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500...lol

Reactions: JASmith

·
Registered
89 Posts
I often see a preference for physical dials here. Never having had a digital gauge cluster with simulated gauge images like I see on the SC pictures, I wonder what is the problem with them...?
Didital dash's are what made me an X GM(Chevy) man! Plus other issues. Just give us HONEST gauges and DIALS!!! That are readable. Don't reinvent something that doesn't need to be touched.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I often see a preference for physical dials here. Never having had a digital gauge cluster with simulated gauge images like I see on the SC pictures, I wonder what is the problem with them...?
Not intuitive to use. Have to "look" at the screen to use (IMHO dangerous). No "feel" during use. Those are some of the basic complaints. Then there is the extra costs they want to charge you and the possibility of "complete blackout" if it fails. They are software based.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Never had a fully digital dash, so I am looking forward to the (potential) ability to display almost any parameter that is available on the data buss and display it in place of the tach. Wouldn't it be cool to call up: oil pressure, water temp, tranny fluid temp, etc?

Or, maybe, change the gauge sizes and styles ala the Android 'Torque' application.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Never had a fully digital dash, so I am looking forward to the (potential) ability to display almost any parameter that is available on the data buss and display it in place of the tach. Wouldn't it be cool to call up: oil pressure, water temp, tranny fluid temp, etc?

Or, maybe, change the gauge sizes and styles ala the Android 'Torque' application.
I don't know if this is an option, but if not I have found there is some Android Auto hack that allows Torque Pro data on your display. Haven't tested it yet, though.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Never had a fully digital dash, so I am looking forward to the (potential) ability to display almost any parameter that is available on the data buss and display it in place of the tach.
That would be great... but sorry not happening - the dash displays are fixed / locked down, you can't customize them that much. On my C7 there is TONS of data I can display, but its still limited what the factory pre-programmed. The big advantage to the SC digital dash is the blind spot camera display, sadly beyond that, its not much more then digital representations of traditional analog gauges based on the videos I've watched.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Be careful what you mess with software wise. Many learned hard lessons doing crazy things to MINI software. IIRC BMW/MINI charges something like $450 to re-flash the software if it gets all gummed up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
from over at the maverick site...( I am not the author)...NOTE the SC PRICING is a GUESS
View attachment 836

SC= leather seats with COOLING ( needed here in Lost Wages...was 117 yesterday )...don't know how a "plastic" interior of the MVK would hold up in the Vegas heat (... or the cold of the far North Eh?)
1) That Pwr Rear window on the Lariat sounds neat but how often would you use it?...would like a manual pass through rear window on the SC just to carry really long stuff. ( I have one in my old Frontier)
2) AC inverter (110VAC) in the (rear) Cab of the SC might be helpful too for charging that old laptop
3) Does Hyundai offer WiFi ( hot spot) on any of it's models? ( gotta be a chip of some kind) ...hth
thanks for sharing, interesting data.....

·
Registered
889 Posts
Anybody see this? Ford's claiming over 36,000 sales on the Maverick already. Ford MAVERICK has sold 36,000 Units! - YouTube
If this is accurate then Hyundai must be A) excited about the potential for this compact segment, but B) worried they already missed the mark and will likely never catch up. This could play out like the RL where the 2nd gen SC (if they even keep this experiment up) will become a boxy, ugly thing since that is apparently what people want :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a AC inverter in my Ram, think I've used it once, its not really as useful as you'd think, at least to me. Same with wifi hotspot, if I want one my phone can do that with just a click.
For a regular gas vehicle it would not be very useful, but with a hybrid it is great for camping. I bring a 1kWh battery with me when I go camping to power my cooler and other devices. A built in inverter that only starts the car every now and then to charge the car battery without having to idle the car the whole day would be much better than a separate battery or generator while camping.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Camping in general is one of my intended uses for the Santa Cruz, but the Maverick would meet that need nicely in cheap base Hybrid form even without AWD (biggest drawback). I can build the Maverick for well under $30K OTD in decent trim. Santa Cruz pricing is key and the one thing they still haven't released. Once that's out, people will scatter to their ultimate choice quickly. What will Hyundai pricing be???

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
244 Posts
I just learned the Maverick has a rotary shift dial instead of a gear selector stick. The photo is from another Ford vehicle but it's the same as will be in the Maverick.

This seems to be a strange thing to put in a truck imo.

OTOH, the Mav has a "Shrine Cubby" next to Infotainment display the Santa Cruz doesn't have so what do I know about next gen features?
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I just learned the Maverick has a rotary shift dial instead of a gear selector stick. The photo is from another Ford vehicle but it's the same as will be in the Maverick.

This seems to be a strange thing to put in a truck imo.

OTOH, the Mav has a "Shrine Cubby" next to Infotainment display the Santa Cruz doesn't have so what do I know about next gen features?
View attachment 2408
Actually becoming more common now. It takes up less space and doesn't get in the way when reaching for stuff in the cupholders or that front storage area. Rams now have them too, although up on the dash. This is actually the more comfortable place for it. There are good and bad ones though. So the bad ones you can spin the dial indefinitely, so you don't have a feeling that tells you that you're all the way left in park, just a light, and ditto for Drive vs neutral. The good ones not only have haptic feedback between settings, but the rotation is limited so you can feel it stop far left and far right.

The infotainment cubby hole is the obvious solution to Ford's chip problem. I believe the vehicle was designed to take a larger widescreen display, or at least will get one in the future, but for right now they put a last generation head unit in there due to the chip shortage, and that left space left over. On the plus side, it means you have room for a bigger aftermarket head unit if you want to upgrade.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
244 Posts
Was it an Edsel? I remember a lot of 1960s Plymouth's had push button gear selectors to the right of the steering wheel but an Edsel is the only car I ever saw where it was in the center of the wheel. Edsel's were the butt of a lot of jokes but they had a lot of cutting edge features for their era.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Was it an Edsel? I remember a lot of 1960s Plymouth's had push button gear selectors to the right of the steering wheel but an Edsel is the only car I ever saw where it was in the center of the wheel. Edsel's were the butt of a lot of jokes but they had a lot of cutting edge features for their era.
1958 Edsel Pacer two door with the 410 cid motor. Bought it in 1965 at fifteen years old. One of the interesting features was a low fuel warning light, unheard of back then and door ajar light. Beat the crap out of it for two years, that big motor could fry the old bias ply tires till they were a cloud of smoke. spent more on tires than I did on the car. Oh to be young and dumb again. Wait, just last night my wife said "will you grow up". I may have grown old, but still have not grown up. 41 miles on the new Santa Cruz and I've got the traction control turned off and trying to lite the tires up from a dead stop.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts