Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai vice president Mike O'Brien was interviewed at the Detroit Auto Show about the current status of the Santa Cruz. He said that the one truck that sits on lots the least is the Tacoma, but many cant afford it. To him this proves that there is a untapped market for something that sits below it. Enter the Santa Cruz which should be an affordable, unibody, small pickup. https://carbuzz.com/news/hyundai-tells-us-it-s-found-a-secret-new-truck-formula

·
Registered
728 Posts
That doesn't stop people from buying them used or at least saving up because Toyota are incredibly reliable. Saving up to buy a Nissan is a gamble.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree there is room for a more economical pickup, but I worry that Hyundai may be underestimating the costs of development. Do they think they can actually break the $20k bracket? What's the standard equipment going to be on a truck at that price?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree there is room for a more economical pickup, but I worry that Hyundai may be underestimating the costs of development. Do they think they can actually break the $20k bracket? What's the standard equipment going to be on a truck at that price?
When all it comes down to is competing, do they have a choice? The answer would be no. Low $20k-range is it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Save all the bells and whistles and just give us something with the basics. Leave all the expensive options and ad ons for the big guys.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Save all the bells and whistles and just give us something with the basics. Leave all the expensive options and ad ons for the big guys.
Depends on what they can get away with. Toyota can and does by offering rear drum brakes and Ford follows a bit in Toyota's lead. Hyundai isn't so fortunate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree. Bring a very barebones entry level model that's just got heat/AC and a radio. Not everyone is looking for luxury in their pickup gone are the days of compact workhorses.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I doubt that Hyundai will orient the Santa Cruz as a workhorse. It will be more of a comfortable crossover that just so happens to have a bed.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If it can't be a work horse then it will have to play on contributing to active lifestyles and in that respect it'll have to tow at least a 5,000 LBS trailer.
At the absolute minimum it can't be less than 4500 which the Highlander and Santa Fe both meet and exceed a bit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hyundai should try and deliver well above that. The new Ranger is capable of 7,000lbs and that's just with a 4 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Having the Santa Cruz fill a lot of shoes is how i'll succeed. Even existing pickup makers have done that, RAM being one of them and a favorite of mine throughout all these years. You can have everything from a base commercial versions to off roaders (the Rebel) and luxury beyond belief (Longhorn Laramie).
When you look at the numbers, the RAM 1500 is successful on all levels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well RAM has been building the 1500 since the early 80's and its taken a long time for them to get where they are. As a newcomer to the segment, its going to take Hyundai some time to establish a consumer base and a good working formula.

·
Registered
40 Posts
RAM is just Lee Iacocca's re-branding of the Dodge truck division - which stretches back to 30's at least. And RAM only builds 1 truck for every 2 of Ford in same market isn't exactly setting market on fire. Don't get me wrong - RAM makes some nice trucks e.g. Power Wagon, but the F-150 eats them up.

Even if Santa Cruz is 2020 equivalent to VW Caddy of 80's i.e. cheap, no frills unibody pickup, it will take a long time for Hyundai to figure our how to sell a pickup to average American buyer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They have no experience with this segment, so you can bet there will be a steep learning curve for them to figure out what works and what doesn't. I doubt they are planning on going the barebones worktruck route with the Santa Cruz, but it should undercut most rivals on price.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I take that whole remarketing of dodge truck to RAM as a way to stay competitive as every other pickup maker works to include more character.
Its no longer enough to just make a pickup but now its more so a lifestyle product. That has led to spin offs like the RAM Rebel, Ford Raptor and so on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Plenty of people looking for a pickup that doesn't cost $60k with a moderate level of equipment. Don't get me wrong that there is quite a premium feel to newer trucks, but I just don't see the need for all those bells and whistles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts