·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SC Preferred
28 Posts
This is the conclusion of the motorbiscuit article:
"Perhaps the Hyundai Santa Cruz deserves a recommendation. It’s pretty reliable according to other critics, it’s comfortable, and provides tons of standard value."

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know, I just spoke to a "consumer" today that came over while I was getting gas. He asked if he could take a look and ask some questions, I said sure, he was gassing up his Ford Explorer, he walked away happy. As he was getting back in his car a Maverick happened to just pull in, he got back out and was looking all over that as well. On his way out he stopped and said that guy just picked his up fully loaded last week as I did. He said "I definitely like yours better, I will start shopping, thanks"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Care to share your references?
I just read this this morning, the Santa Cruz scored a 64 on their (Consumer Reports) evaluation. Biggest complaint expected reliability, gas mileage, emergency handling. The Santa Cruz was considerably lower in score than the Ridgeline and both the Ford Maverick and the Maverick Hybrid and if you couldn't find this information you didn't look very hard!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just read this this morning, the Santa Cruz scored a 64 on their (Consumer Reports) evaluation. Biggest complaint expected reliability, gas mileage, emergency handling. The Santa Cruz was considerably lower in score than the Ridgeline and both the Ford Maverick and the Maverick Hybrid and if you couldn't find this information you didn't look very hard!
CR probably went off the complaints filed against the WDCT. My mileage is good for a 2.5 which weighs 2 tons. My old element didn't do much better. Our Rav is about the same. I think the vehicles handles excellent. It corners great.

·
Registered
2022 SEL Sage Gray (non turbo)
375 Posts
I'm glad to read all the bad things. Now I can buy another one in 3 yrs when the loan is paid off. I really like mine but I wish it were a little taller!
We all have different circumstances that dictate how we use our SC. Me,I have the title in my grubby hands! Yet, being retired this will most likely my last vehicle. I love this little “SAV”. Is it perfect, No! But with an anticipated yearly mileage of less than 10K I plan to give it to my daughter when the time seems right.

Gusto!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We all have different circumstances that dictate how we use our SC. Me,I have the title in my grubby hands! Yet, being retired this will most likely my last vehicle. I love this little “SAV”. Is it perfect, No! But with an anticipated yearly mileage of less than 10K I plan to give it to my daughter when the time seems right.

Gusto!
These forums only represent a small number of people that actually own an SC. I have had mine since January '22 with about 6K miles and I have not experienced any problems what so ever!

·
Registered
23' AWD Atlas White SEL w / Activity Pack & Hitch
41 Posts
I saw that article too! Nothing is mentioned specifically about the DCT, but I feel sure that is part of the unfair reason for this. At one time I wanted a Honda Ridgeline. I mention the Ridgeline - because Consumer Reports love the d#4n thing! I really don't know that much about the Maverick - so I will not even go there. Before buying my SC, I complied a Pro's & Con's for the SC versus the Ridgeline when deciding which to buy. One of the things I saved was this chart. Notice how low Honda is rated on this study. The CRV's I know had a bad oil dilution problem a few years back. That is why we jumped ship on Honda and bought our first Hyundai in 2015. Lets look at another media source

• 10 February 2022 Korean auto brands Kia, Genesis and Hyundai earn three of the top four rankings in the newly redesigned J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), released today. Buick and Toyota also make the list of the brands with the fewest reported problems after three years of ownership. …The study, now in its 33rd year, has been redesigned to include all of the features and technology that are available in current vehicles. The study covers 184 specific problem areas across nine major vehicle categories: climate; driving assistance (new in 2022); driving experience; exterior; features/controls/ displays; infotainment; interior; powertrain; and seats.
The study also now measures satisfaction with the vehicle’s condition after three years of usage; whether owners find their vehicle as appealing now as when they first bought it; and what software updates have been made to the vehicle.

2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

Font Parallel Slope Electric blue Terrestrial plant

Reactions: MaineMan

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited Sage Grey
26 Posts
For anyone that wants a long lasting reliable Santa Cruz. The non Turbo one will have the most reliability and the non Turbo is more affordable for anyone that wants a truck. But with proper care and attention, a turbo engine can last a long time. To a nitwit that doesn't know much about car maintenance, then yeah, they're going to have problems.

·
Registered
535 Posts

Gusto!
Your daughter is a lucky girl. Hopefully she will want it.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. There is a lot to be Thankful for.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I saw that article too! Nothing is mentioned specifically about the DCT, but I feel sure that is part of the unfair reason for this. At one time I wanted a Honda Ridgeline. I mention the Ridgeline - because Consumer Reports love the d#4n thing! I really don't know that much about the Maverick - so I will not even go there. Before buying my SC, I complied a Pro's & Con's for the SC versus the Ridgeline when deciding which to buy. One of the things I saved was this chart. Notice how low Honda is rated on this study. The CRV's I know had a bad oil dilution problem a few years back. That is why we jumped ship on Honda and bought our first Hyundai in 2015. Lets look at another media source

• 10 February 2022 Korean auto brands Kia, Genesis and Hyundai earn three of the top four rankings in the newly redesigned J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), released today. Buick and Toyota also make the list of the brands with the fewest reported problems after three years of ownership. …The study, now in its 33rd year, has been redesigned to include all of the features and technology that are available in current vehicles. The study covers 184 specific problem areas across nine major vehicle categories: climate; driving assistance (new in 2022); driving experience; exterior; features/controls/ displays; infotainment; interior; powertrain; and seats.
The study also now measures satisfaction with the vehicle’s condition after three years of usage; whether owners find their vehicle as appealing now as when they first bought it; and what software updates have been made to the vehicle.

2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

View attachment 14865
BUICK? Really? I like the styling but it is still a GM.

·
Registered
23' AWD Atlas White SEL w / Activity Pack & Hitch
41 Posts
Ditto

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium, Blue Stone
47 Posts
For anyone that wants a long lasting reliable Santa Cruz. The non Turbo one will have the most reliability and the non Turbo is more affordable for anyone that wants a truck. But with proper care and attention, a turbo engine can last a long time. To a nitwit that doesn't know much about car maintenance, then yeah, they're going to have problems.
I was only minimally exposed to the Santa Cruz on the day we went car shopping to look at one and take our test drive. Obviously we liked and bought it, and it came with the Turbo because that's what they had available and I needed the 5,000 lb towing capability. So this is my first Turbo. So far I sure like it and it's fun to drive! So trying not to be a nitwit, and planning to take good care of the Cruz—any "sage advice" for us Turbo noobs? Other then following the recommended maint schedule, what else should we keep in mind? TIA...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I was only minimally exposed to the Santa Cruz on the day we went car shopping to look at one and take our test drive. Obviously we liked and bought it, and it came with the Turbo because that's what they had available and I needed the 5,000 lb towing capability. So this is my first Turbo. So far I sure like it and it's fun to drive! So trying not to be a nitwit, and planning to take good care of the Cruz—any "sage advice" for us Turbo noobs? Other then following the recommended maint schedule, what else should we keep in mind? TIA...
Keep up with the oil changes. It really is cheap insurance. and After a long drive i would let it idle for about minute to let it cool down. I know yours has an intercooler but it doesn't hurt to let it chill. My Volvo mechanic told me that when I owned a GLT. This guy knew his stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It seems that you feel uncomfortable about the turbo purchase, there is no data I have found to support that. If you need the power or you just like "driving" you're not likely to regret having the turbo. I like mine very much and I don't believe I made a mistake. Time will tell!?

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium, Blue Stone
47 Posts
No, I honestly don't feel uncomfortable about buying the Turbo at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. It really performs when I get into a traffic situation where I need to make a quick move to get ahead or around something. Plus it has the required hp/torque for towing my pontoon boat. And I quite like the fact that it does not have a timing belt that will need to be replaced at 100k.

But I'm just an average non-mechanic who is new to this type of engine. A previous post in this thread warned of potential problems due to not knowing enough about the maintenance. So I'm just here trying to learn from those who are more familiar so I can keep it running well for a long time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts