Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not seen a post on this yet, and it's pretty scary when it happens, and I can replicate the issue many times over. I am still learning the vehicle so my understanding may possibly be off. On the steering wheel (right side - 4 buttons - using the bottom left) When this is on with the Lain Driving assist and driving normal roads the only thing that I notice are beeps and alerts if I get near the lines. If I quick press it and enable the driving assist (where is shows the steering wheel next to the lane), then it will steer itself and try to keep it in the lanes. All this works fine in town and on major highways but on back roads so far, I have found it to be a serious hazard. On smaller back roads where I live (EVEN when fully marked with proper road lining), when I hit certain curves, the steering wheel will jerk hard. First half dozen times it freaked me out so bad that I almost over corrected to take back control of the wheel. I have tested it several times and I am not near the center nor the outer edge of the lane when it occurs. Because this is such a safety issue, I even started turning it off when driving on these roads, but the dang thing will turn itself on at times (and of course I will forget to turn it off at other times).
Anyone else having this issue? I can see this causing serious issues.

·
Registered
833 Posts
There's a camera mounted on the windshield, so I'd just check that the area is clean.

LKA isn't supposed to do anything though unless it detects clearly defined painted lines, otherwise its supposed to not intervene.

I believe its more aggressive in sport mode as well.

Best would be if you have a suction mount or something to set a camera up on your driver's side glass and record what it does, and then you can show your Hyundai dealer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have noticed this happen when approaching an intersection with a turn lane on my left and I go straight. The camera senses the yellow line of the turn lane move away to the left and will quickly jerk the SC to the left to follow the line. I believe the computer thinks it's not following the lane and drifting off to the right and running off the road so it corrects quickly to the left. In the city, I don't have the LKA/LFA on.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
The only time I've noticed consistent jerking, and I've taken to turning it off in said conditions, is when the road is partially snow covered. It's like it's going along, and suddenly thinks the lane has moved over, due to the partial snow cover and tries to correct me into where it thinks the lane suddenly went. But that's purely on visibility, due to snow cover. I'm not surprised by it. Other than that, I do notice it 'jerks' a little every now and then - and I think it's to detect if you're holding the wheel. If you are, it will get resistance. If you're not, it won't. I could be wrong, but that's my own suspicion about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The driving assist is designed to be used mostly on highways or roads that have clearly defined painted lines for the vehicle to use. Roads without defined lines will not work.
Aye, I understand that and these roads have clearly defined painted lines IE my comment: (EVEN when fully marked with proper road lining),

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a camera mounted on the windshield, so I'd just check that the area is clean.

LKA isn't supposed to do anything though unless it detects clearly defined painted lines, otherwise its supposed to not intervene.

I believe its more aggressive in sport mode as well.

Best would be if you have a suction mount or something to set a camera up on your driver's side glass and record what it does, and then you can show your Hyundai dealer.
Thanks JASmith I will see if I can set that up to record it. It's easy to replicate on this road - the issue is not knowling all the roads that will affect it. Right now I am trying to double check it's disabled prior to driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only time I've noticed consistent jerking, and I've taken to turning it off in said conditions, is when the road is partially snow covered. It's like it's going along, and suddenly thinks the lane has moved over, due to the partial snow cover and tries to correct me into where it thinks the lane suddenly went. But that's purely on visibility, due to snow cover. I'm not surprised by it. Other than that, I do notice it 'jerks' a little every now and then - and I think it's to detect if you're holding the wheel. If you are, it will get resistance. If you're not, it won't. I could be wrong, but that's my own suspicion about it.
Other than the snow (no snow here yet LOL), I think you described what it is doing better than I did. Thanks WBB

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I just posted this that might help understanding the whole LKA vs LFA:

Based on how its described LKA will jerk the wheel if it thinks you are drifting out of your lane. To me LFA should only be used on highways with clear markings and smooth curves.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder when the LKA thinks your drifting out of the lane, it is programmed to jerk the wheel to get your attention in case you dozed off or are on your cellphone.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don’t recall, mine ever ”jerking” just gradual adjustments. my drives are mixed, urban, sub-urban and rural roads… most of the rural roads, only have centre line markings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have noticed this happen when approaching an intersection with a turn lane on my left and I go straight. The camera senses the yellow line of the turn lane move away to the left and will quickly jerk the SC to the left to follow the line. I believe the computer thinks it's not following the lane and drifting off to the right and running off the road so it corrects quickly to the left. In the city, I don't have the LKA/LFA on.
I agree completely and I too usually keep the LKA/LFA off on my Honda Accord. I've had the steering wheel almost jerked out of my hand on occasiion, I've ordered the Premium and really woln't miss those feature, nor the leather or expecially 20'' wheels and save 4-5 grand..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not seen a post on this yet, and it's pretty scary when it happens, and I can replicate the issue many times over. I am still learning the vehicle so my understanding may possibly be off. On the steering wheel (right side - 4 buttons - using the bottom left) When this is on with the Lain Driving assist and driving normal roads the only thing that I notice are beeps and alerts if I get near the lines. If I quick press it and enable the driving assist (where is shows the steering wheel next to the lane), then it will steer itself and try to keep it in the lanes. All this works fine in town and on major highways but on back roads so far, I have found it to be a serious hazard. On smaller back roads where I live (EVEN when fully marked with proper road lining), when I hit certain curves, the steering wheel will jerk hard. First half dozen times it freaked me out so bad that I almost over corrected to take back control of the wheel. I have tested it several times and I am not near the center nor the outer edge of the lane when it occurs. Because this is such a safety issue, I even started turning it off when driving on these roads, but the dang thing will turn itself on at times (and of course I will forget to turn it off at other times).
Anyone else having this issue? I can see this causing serious issues.
The Lane Keep Assist and Steering Assist although has some similarities but has differences.

To avoid the jerking especially when you drive on snowy roads or construction lanes, you must turn the Lane assist setting into 'warning only' this will only notify drivers of a possible lane change and not jerk it to what the computer thinks is the right way, accessible in the digital meter dashboard.

Steering assist button on steering wheel will follow the road lines that the computer system recognizes, in the instance that it doesnt recognize the road ahead and you had Lane assist turned into 'Assist' it will jerk the wheel to a next recognizable line (which is a hazard), so the safety setting should be:

Lane Keep Assist: Warning only
then Steering Assist will be safely utilized

Example is when the steering assist was active and the road ahead isnt recognizeable, Lane assist 'warning' will not jerk to a direction plus if steering assist doesnt recognize any lane ahead that steering assist will pause. (just like when steering assist pauses when signal light lever is used)

Hope you barely understand my explanation and helps some.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes it has happened to me numerous times. It does indeed startle you initially. I made sure to demonstrate it to the kids before I let any of them drive it.
The Lane Keep Assist and Steering Assist although has some similarities but has differences.

To avoid the jerking especially when you drive on snowy roads or construction lanes, you must turn the Lane assist setting into 'warning only' this will only notify drivers of a possible lane change and not jerk it to what the computer thinks is the right way, accessible in the digital meter dashboard.

Steering assist button on steering wheel will follow the road lines that the computer system recognizes, in the instance that it doesnt recognize the road ahead and you had Lane assist turned into 'Assist' it will jerk the wheel to a next recognizable line (which is a hazard), so the safety setting should be:

Lane Keep Assist: Warning only
then Steering Assist will be safely utilized

Example is when the steering assist was active and the road ahead isnt recognizeable, Lane assist 'warning' will not jerk to a direction plus if steering assist doesnt recognize any lane ahead that steering assist will pause. (just like when steering assist pauses when signal light lever is used)

Hope you barely understand my explanation and helps some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts