Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to show my SC Limited to friends at Mike Ryan's Truck/Auto Accessories in Pensacola and there was a new Ridgeline (also white), so thought I would take a few photos. SC beats Ridgeline all all aspects of style, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
It definitely does in my eyes! I've been researching for over a year and had finally decided on a Ridgeline, but it's just too expensive, and looks too plain.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks. A neighbor of mine has a 1st gen RL... always seemed a touch too big and these pictures appear to confirm that feeling. The RL has never appealed to me mainly due to its cost and style - both inside and out. Recently Honda's interiors have become a button filled mess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went to show my SC Limited to friends at Mike Ryan's Truck/Auto Accessories in Pensacola and there was a new Ridgeline (also white), so thought I would take a few photos. SC beats Ridgeline all all aspects of style, right?
SC would want Ridgeline behind it in a dark alley 💪🏻

·
Registered
9 Posts
From what I'm reading around the internet the Santa Cruz has stolen the Ridgeline's thunder regarding being the vehicle 'non-truck people' who want some truck utility are gravitating toward. Those pictures perfectly exemplify why. The Ridgeline is absolutely a truck - and a rather generic truck. The Santa Cruz is a different animal with some similar features.

I think one of the most pronounced visual/structural things is the angle of the windshield. Which again, is what those pictures clearly demonstrate.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It definitely does in my eyes! I've been researching for over a year and had finally decided on a Ridgeline, but it's just too expensive, and looks too plain.
I like that front angle on the Ridgeline now, a little spicier. The tail end, I like the dual exhaust, would have been coolest with black tips, but otherwise its a bit plain. Functionally the tailgate is nice, although the feature does mean its not nicely damped like the SC.

The SC is special from pretty much every angle styling wise, no way you can confuse it for any other pickup, even though Hyundai sheds a tear anytime someone calls it one.

And while people say the SC is expensive, and I do agree with that, at least on its top trim its REALLY loaded compared to a similar cost Ridgeline Sport, where you're getting a bit dated of an interior, a bit grainy and outdated infotainment system, and just a very basic cloth setup interior that doesn't really win any style points. I do like the Ridgelines magic back seats and their brunk arrangement that makes it much deeper, and their speedo style where it has just a big number in the middle is my favorite setup. I've loved that even back when we had a old 1995 Impala SS. You could put your sunglasses on and set your cruise control to see that bright turquoise 69 staring back at you.

You can KIND of get something similar in the SC if you go with a SEL Premium or higher and use the cube view:
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
20 Posts
Currently, I drive a 21' RL RTL-E.
Some might wonder what I'm doing here. I like to browse forums of vehicles I like just to be up to date on their issues and aftermarket advancements. Just in case I need to get something new. I will be watching closely the user experience of the new Elantra N, Kia EV, Subaru STI and Honda light trucks.

I agree that the styling and tech features of the SC are way better than the RL.
The engine and transmission should feel really good to people like me that enjoy vehicles with some pulling power. (my previous car was a high powered AWD + Turbo + DCT)
But I find the cargo space too limited. In my experience with the RL, I had hauled stuff that will be too big for the SC.

Anyway, in the end, you pick whatever fits your needs. The SC is a super cool vehicle that will work for a lot of people.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The new RL has taken on a more truck-like look but I believe Hyundai made the right move to give the SC more CUV-like styling instead. The original RL was unique, I was not a fan but at least it stood out, now it just blends in (boring). However that blocky truck look is one of the reasons people seem to love the Bronco and Maverick so apparently Honda identified the styling as something the RL needed to normalize to increase its popularity. I still think this is mistake because real truck people already diss the RL so why try to appease them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The new RL has taken on a more truck-like look but I believe Hyundai made the right move to give the SC more CUV-like styling instead. The original RL was unique, I was not a fan but at least it stood out, now it just blends in (boring). However that blocky truck look is one of the reasons people seem to love the Bronco and Maverick so apparently Honda identified the styling as something the RL needed to normalize to increase its popularity. I still think this is mistake because real truck people already diss the RL so why try to appease them?
The new styling was the number one reason I got it. Hated the 17-20 front end.

But I agree, Hyundai did a very good job on this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
But I find the cargo space too limited. In my experience with the RL, I had hauled stuff that will be too big for the SC.
I think with the proper roof rack and bed rail rack setup the SC could could carry very large cargo that spanned the entire bed and cab length and width. But yeah, you'd spend upwards of $2000 in aftermarket parts to make that work well(or be fairly skilled at doing your own DIY welding and off-the-cuff engineering - which is absolutely some people's jam.)

That said 'large', not heavy, otherwise the vehicle center of gravity would be dangerously changed. You could probably move a non-sleeper couch(though yeah getting it up there would be a PITA) or a few sheets of 4x8 plywood or drywall, etc. Renting a 19.99 Uhaul nearly always makes more sense. Kayaks, surfboards, sailboards, and other outdoor recreation gear and misc. 'project' material (within 'not really a truck' limitations) seems very much the target customer base.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think with the proper roof rack and bed rail rack setup the SC could could carry very large cargo that spanned the entire bed and cab length and width. But yeah, you'd spend upwards of $2000 in aftermarket parts to make that work well(or be fairly skilled at doing your own DIY welding and off-the-cuff engineering - which is absolutely some people's jam.)

That said 'large', not heavy, otherwise the vehicle center of gravity would be dangerously changed. You could probably move a non-sleeper couch(though yeah getting it up there would be a PITA) or a few sheets of 4x8 plywood or drywall, etc. Renting a 19.99 Uhaul nearly always makes more sense. Kayaks, surfboards, sailboards, and other outdoor recreation gear and misc. 'project' material (within 'not really a truck' limitations) seems very much the target customer base.
The problem with that scenario is that the roof has weight limits far lower than the bed. Not practical for heavy stuff.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you seen a confirmed weight limit for either? The bed weight limit is like 660 pounds.

And swear I saw a video where they said the roof rails had something like a 150-pound working load. But the static load was something like 450-550 pounds?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Have you seen a confirmed weight limit for either? The bed weight limit is like 660 pounds.
That was early (mis)information. The 660 pound thing came out because Hyundai released payload numbers that included 5 passengers ... but weren't very clear about it and it was interpreted as 660# max. Alex on Autos on YT had the clarification from Hyundai in a video.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The owners manual says this...

"Maximum Load Limit Carrying too much cargo or improperly storing it can affect your vehicle’s handling, stability, stopping distance, and tires, and make it unsafe.

-Maximum Load For Your Vehicle The maximum load for your vehicle type is: • 2WD : 1,411 lbs (640 kg) • AWD : 1,411 lbs (640 kg)

-WARNING The cargo should never exceed 661 Ibs. or 300 kg. "

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Well then, I don't know what to believe anymore, the owners manual (full of CYA legalese) or what Hyundai sent to a reviewer to be shared with the world. These are troubling times, indeed. :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
A buddy that works for Cars.com said at the launch event that the Hyundai reps said the cargo capacity in the bed is 660 pounds. But based on what it can actually hold without damaging the bed? Or a cargo capacity based on 5 x 150-pound people?

This is their first truck. They are still figuring things out. Sorry, SAV. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cargo capacity. Hmm where does this come from? Payload capacity varies by a few hundred pounds based on trim levels, the higher trims see number that is lower because more stuff on vehicle.
Hyundai touted that after carrying 5 passengers that was the remaining payload capacity. Fewer people and it goes up. They looked at it differently for sure, but they see this vehicle as a people hauler and utility.
Unless you can actually find someplace in the manual that says bed capacity I think this was verified already.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok
The owners manual says this...

"Maximum Load Limit Carrying too much cargo or improperly storing it can affect your vehicle’s handling, stability, stopping distance, and tires, and make it unsafe.

-Maximum Load For Your Vehicle The maximum load for your vehicle type is: • 2WD : 1,411 lbs (640 kg) • AWD : 1,411 lbs (640 kg)

-WARNING The cargo should never exceed 661 Ibs. or 300 kg. "
So Alex misinformed us. o_O
I'm looking at the manual in hope of finding some open statements that contradict the 660 cargo limit but the manual clearly says that on page 6-75.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts