Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm looking at the manual in hope of finding some open statements that contradict the 660 cargo limit but the manual clearly says that on page 6-75.
My guess is the 660lb comes from the limitations of the brunk lid. After all its just plastic.

This is along the same lines as the bed cover holds 220lbs (or something like that), followed by the statement in the manual to not put anything on top of the cover. Clear as mud... I blame lawyers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sure is capable of holding more but with safety in mind 660 is the magic number.

A similar thing happens with the ridgeline. The payload is around 1,500lbs but according to the manual, the maximum allowed weight in the bed is 1,100lbs.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Could also be a weight distribution thing too. There are multiple pages in the owners manual where it goes over payload limits and axle load. Putting too much weight in the bed could create handling problems since a lighter front end is not going to steer or brake very well. Of course this is true for any vehicle but especially in a truck since the bed offers an easy opportunity to overload.

To me these limits fall into the category of don't do obviously stupid things. 660lbs is about 33 bags of mulch or 110 gallons of water.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am sure part of it is the load capacity of the suspension and load-leveling shocks. I'm thinking a load limit of 1,400 pounds with the driver saying "Well, I'm 200 pounds so 1,200 pounds in the bed is fine" probably isn't the best use of the SC. lol I would think the suspension sag in the rear would be pretty severe and the front steering pretty light as the front end is up.

I am sure somewhere along the way we are going to see more clarification. Maybe even some of the YouTube truck channels doing some load comparisons at different weights? A yard of mulch is like 600-800 pounds. A GM LS1 v8 engine is like 460 pounds. A rail system for an adventure rig. Things along those lines.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am sure part of it is the load capacity of the suspension and load-leveling shocks.
Good point, it doesn't have the traditional BOF leaf springs nor a solid axle to handle massive loads. Of course the flip side is improved ride quality. You can't have your cake and eat it too... unless you have a costly and complex airbags like setup.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
The owners manual says this...

"Maximum Load Limit Carrying too much cargo or improperly storing it can affect your vehicle’s handling, stability, stopping distance, and tires, and make it unsafe.

-Maximum Load For Your Vehicle The maximum load for your vehicle type is: • 2WD : 1,411 lbs (640 kg) • AWD : 1,411 lbs (640 kg)

-WARNING The cargo should never exceed 661 Ibs. or 300 kg. "
You can essentially carry 450 more pounds of cargo in the bed of the Ridgeline. That is a significant difference.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am not saying it is a bad rating at all. Just stating that as some people seem to think the 1400 pound rating can be stuffed in the bed alone.

I am curious about the roof rails rating as well. Like I mentioned earlier, I saw somewhere where they claimed the 150ish pound rating was like an impact rating and the actual load rating was like 450 or something. But can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. I figured someone else may have seen that or had confirmation from somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are two differing weight limits you have to consider for roof loads. The Dynamic load when the vehicle is in motion and the Static load when the vehicle is parked. The dynamic load is the typical 150-ish pound limit you see thrown around. I've seen static load on varying websites listed as 4 to 5 times to as much as 8 to 10 times the dynamic load. That's why rooftop tents and the hard shells they travel in are at about that 150 pound range, but the vehicle roof doesn't collapse when you add the weight of 2, 3, or more people inside the rooftop tent.

The roof rails themselves have both a rating and don't forget the weight of the roof rails themselves has to be factored in.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Per the manual the SC roof rack is rated to hold 220lb evenly distributed.

The reason the static load is higher is during a roll over the roof must be able to hold the entire weight of the vehicle... so yeah its very strong as its a critical part of the vehicles safety cage. However the roof rails themselves are just bolted on and could never take such loads.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts