Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Those numbers are completly skewed by what is being produced more too. For 6 months I searched from Charlotte to DC to Nashville to find a Tundra v8 4 door 4x4 last year. Never found one. ....so the average time on lot was 0. All pre orders. The F150 was the same. And the Chevy half ton wasn't far behind. I know several who bought 6.6 gas 2500 because they couldn't find a half ton. The baja was impossible to find and sold out too. Yet it lasted 4 years and only 40k units sold .

I hate "time on lot" polls. A 100k dollar Mercedes GLS which is 20k units a year isn't going to sit on a lot long. A GM or Dodge or Ford full size pickup may total 1 million units in a year. They will sit longer. But all will sell. I. Sure they would rather move 1 million 50k dollar plus trucks than sell 25k of a 90k dollar car that sits 2 days on a lot. And they have sustained that since the 70s. Order an f150 right now and they will tell you it's 5-8 months wait. Now how can that not equate to "fast selling". They are sold 5-8 months before they are built

A Bugatti is made to order. 50 a year. So they will not sit at all.

The only accurate sells number is total sales. Hyundai sold 12,862 units so far counting January. I'm sure hyundai is happy with that. They did sell more Tuscon, Kona, or Santa fe in a month than the Cruz in 6 though, and a lot of those Santa cruz buyers only bought one because they got tired of waiting on Ford. I see that a lot on here. For us the Ford was never an option. We have Ranger, F150, Super duty and several Mustang but the maverick was never a consideration. "best selling vehicle" is a bit strongly worded IMO even fastest selling is misleading on low production numbers like these vehicles. Corvette sells 30k or so yearly. Santa cruz would have been around that if given 12 months. GlS is around that . when Ram, Ford and GM sold 400k pickups in that 6 months time. 50k in a bad month. And nearly as many explorer/edge/Expedition/tahoe/Blazer..in a year with terrible shortages.

I just think it's a silly metric for sales. None of the cars on that list will be top 10 sellers for the year. Most not top 25

·
Registered
129 Posts
Old thread but I wonder what the numbers would look like if everything wasn't supply constrained. Sales numbers reflect what is available not necessarily what is in demand.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Old thread but I wonder what the numbers would look like if everything wasn't supply constrained. Sales numbers reflect what is available not necessarily what is in demand.

The constrained supply is exactly why the chart is what it is. Ford wants to move to a build to order strategy. Tesla already used one. Those will change these "days on lot" sales charts too. The charts also don't take pre-orders into account so only the cars that were "extra" go to the lot. I hate the build to order strategy myself but that's what Ford says they want. And I guess it makes sense. Idk. Ford sold almost 800k f150 when they usually go closer to 1 million. Same for GM and Dodge. Add in the unfilled pre orders and they have their million though.

. Ive not seen the day I couldn't find a Cruz. Certainly might not be the options or color id want. (I almost always buy black although I've had one Blue and 2 red over the years of new car buying. Of course used its take what you can get) I drove by a lot about five minute ago that had a grey one out next to the highway with 30k and some change on the windshield. No idea what sub model. Almost certainly AWD given the town I was passing through. As far as maverick ive seen exactly 2 and both were pre sold. Ive yet to see one on a lot for sale.

Hyundai can build a lot more Cruz. They don't want to. Why is anyone's guess. Do they think sales will tank soon? Do they want to release limited numbers to work out any bugs? Who knows. Hyundai sold nearly 20k Tuscon some months last year. 15k Santa fe and 10k kona a month.....but 3k Cruz in their best month. Is that a good strategy...who knows. Plenty of very desired cars died off in a few years. Baja, smart, new mini, aztec. **** the GTO killed a whole brand but sold ok for a while. etc etc. Lol. People on here like to validate their purchase of the Cruz over the maverick by these headlines and Maverick bashing. Realistically though the Ford has 100k pre-orders. The Cruz will never outsell it. Is the hyundai a better car? I believe so. Being a better car isn't always enough. The wrangler is a habitual top seller yet always worst in every category except resale.. Initial quality. Reliability. Drivability etc etc. I think the Cruz will be ok until subaru launches their version this year. Assuming it's not Ranger sized like the Ridgeline Then i predict the Cruz will be pretty hard to sell and will become like the 04-06 baja. And that GTO. A very sought after used car. Especially if the maverick gets nearly double the mpg most on here report getting. The roo is said to be the 6 cylinder and possible to have the turbo 4. Niether will be close to 40 mpg but from the subaru I service (which is many) it will be far better than 20. Unfortunately from what I've seen the subaru DOES look to be a bigger vehicle.

Ford isn't even building their maverick domestically so I don't know what their issue is. Between the rollout of the Bronco (real one... not sport) and the Maverick id be afraid to hold my breath waiting on any new Ford model. Lol. The bronco had recalls before the first ones even sold

·
Registered
129 Posts
I really don't see the point in comparing sales numbers or demand for the Maverick. They compete in utility but they are targeted at completely different audiences. The target audience for the Maverick is much larger. I honestly don't care if the Santa Cruz is a niche product. I would rather drive a quirky low volume vehicle than something sure to become synonymous with cheap fleet vehicle.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I really don't see the point in comparing sales numbers or demand for the Maverick. They compete in utility but they are targeted at completely different audiences. The target audience for the Maverick is much larger. I honestly don't care if the Santa Cruz is a niche product. I would rather drive a quirky low volume vehicle than something sure to become synonymous with cheap fleet vehicle.
Me either. I buy what I want. Ive bought vehicles that most considered terrible. Is ok. I wanted them. I'm just saying everyone here is constantly bashing the maverick and wanting to validate their choice with it. I wouldn't have a Maverick at all and I have 7 Ford vehicles tagged at this moment BUT bashing it or thinking the Santa Cruz outsells much of anything is foolish when it sold 100k units before even coming out. Would have sold more but Ford stopped pre orders. The Cruz sold 3k units one month. (F150 sells that A DAY same for Gm and Ram) Double that for fun and it's still less than 50 other models including several from hyundai themselves.

All I'm saying is all this talk about the Cruz being a success but does hyundai really think so? Its outsold 5 to one by the tuscon. 4 to 1 by the kona

The F150 is built in Kansas city and Dearborn factories. Those are amazing plants. Very efficient. .

The hermillo plant could make nearly 300k Maverick a year BUT they also make other models like the equally unimpressive Bronco sport. So that 100k will take a long time to meet the pre-orders and longer before ANY hit the lot.

I don't see how anyone could claim they compete for different markets though. MAYBE one could claim the Ridgeline is too big and even i say the Gladiator is a completly different market. But nobody is saying the maverick and Cruz are different markets. That's why many here had Maverick pre-orders and gave up the wait and bought an available cruz

·
Registered
129 Posts
Me either. I buy what I want. Ive bought vehicles that most considered terrible. Is ok. I wanted them. I'm just saying everyone here is constantly bashing the maverick and wanting to validate their choice with it. I wouldn't have a Maverick at all and I have 7 Ford vehicles tagged at this moment BUT bashing it or thinking the Santa Cruz outsells much of anything is foolish when it sold 100k units before even coming out. Would have sold more but Ford stopped pre orders. The Cruz sold 3k units one month. (F150 sells that A DAY same for Gm and Ram) Double that for fun and it's still less than 50 other models including several from hyundai themselves.

All I'm saying is all this talk about the Cruz being a success but does hyundai really think so? Its outsold 5 to one by the tuscon. 4 to 1 by the kona

The F150 is built in Kansas city and Dearborn factories. Those are amazing plants. Very efficient. .

The hermillo plant could make nearly 300k Maverick a year BUT they also make other models like the equally unimpressive Bronco sport. So that 100k will take a long time to meet the pre-orders and longer before ANY hit the lot.

I don't see how anyone could claim they compete for different markets though. MAYBE one could claim the Ridgeline is too big and even i say the Gladiator is a completly different market. But nobody is saying the maverick and Cruz are different markets. That's why many here had Maverick pre-orders and gave up the wait and bought an available cruz
Speaking for myself I wanted something loaded with tech (stop and go adaptive cruise, lane centering), upscale interior, all the creature comforts (heated wheel, ventilated seats), a quiet cabin with comfortable ride, AWD with decent ground clearance, the more towing capacity the better so I'm not limited on boat choice (my next purchase). The Maverick was a complete non-starter for what I wanted. I was cross shopping the SC Limited with much more expensive vehicles. The SC Limited was the cheap option.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
BUT bashing it or thinking the Santa Cruz outsells much of anything is foolish when it sold 100k units before even coming out. Would have sold more but Ford stopped pre orders. The Cruz sold 3k units one month. (F150 sells that A DAY same for Gm and Ram) Double that for fun and it's still less than 50 other models including several from hyundai themselves.
🤔 the poll isn’t about volume…
Hence why Corvette’s been #1 for so many months since it’s release.

·
Registered
252 Posts
🤔 the poll isn’t about volume…
Hence why Corvette’s been #1 for so many months since it’s release.

I'm aware. But its still a foolish metric since 100k people bought their maverick BEFORE it hit the lot. Shouldn't that be 0 days on the lot? Same for F150 and Bronco, lighting. Mach E and any limited run car. the gemera? Bugatti? Tesla? None on lots. All pre-orders. Thats should be the top on a "days on lot" list. However many were sold were 0 days on a lot. Ford delivered 10k bronco in December......0 days on lot

With the changing buisness models moving to pre-order sales only "days on lot" becomes even more skewered. Its been a well hated metric amongst auto writers for years.

Even the corvette on a terrible year due to production is selling 3k a month. I imagine sales tapered off on the old in block cam when the new OHC 23 corvette was debuted.

Id guess they tapered off production to avoid being like Ford when they dropped the new 5.0 GT Mustang. Dealers were stuck with a bunch of 4.6 Mustang with 125 less HP and nearly the same MSRP. Couldn't give those away

When the next model offers 20HP for the same msrp you offer rebates....when it offers 125 for the same msrp you get screwed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts