Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, one feature I LOVE in Honda and Buick cars is the auto lock upon walk away from vehicle. Honda takes my happiness a step further by not making you push a button on the outside door handle to unlock the door as you walk up. On Hondas, you just put your hand on the back of the handle and it automatically unlocks the door via a touch sensor built into the back of the handle. I have looked at many shots of the SC and I am NOT seeing a button on the outside door handle to lock/unlock, leading me to believe it might be a touch sensor unlock and an automatic "lock upon walk away" like the Honda and some GM cars do. Any thoughts? Has anybody test drove a new Tucson? (The Tucson also does not appear to have a exterior door button...)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve not examined it closely, but my Subaru has the sensor behind the handle for opening and a touch area (not button) on the outside of the handle for locking. It doesn’t have walk-away auto-lock.
My Mazda has a button for both locking and unlocking (same button), but also has walk-away auto-lock.
My point being, the handle may not give you any clues :). Hopefully the SC has the sensor on the back of the handle for unlocking, that’s my preference as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just watched a YouTube review of the new Tucson by a reviewer that I know always talks about the key fob and how to enter the cars. I can confirm that the Tucson (2022) does have the sensor in back of the door handles and no button in front. As I remember back to the Honda Civic I drove a few years ago, I THINK the doors will also lock after exiting and shutting the door just by placing your hand back on the door handle. So, it may not have walk away auto lock, but remember it being easier to just slide your hand behind the handle for a moment to lock the doors rather than pushing the button. (let's be honest, even pushing the button is not a big deal, but with the lack of info from Hyundai about the SC, we are forced to speculate on feature content to keep ourselves busy!) :)

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,230 Posts
As the owner of both systems (2012 Dodge Journey has the sensor behind the handle, 2020 Chevy Equinox has a button) ... both have their pros and cons, but I think I prefer the button to the capacitive sensor. I always found that with our Canadian weather the wild temperature shifts in late fall/early spring would sometimes cause the capacitive sensors in the back of the handle to act up. Some days they would just not work in the morning, and be fine later in the day. I've never had that issue with the Chevy's button. Also, if, like me, you like to give the door handle a tug to make sure it's locked as you walk away ... doing that with the sensor handles will ... promptly unlock the vehicle again unless I do it from a back door.

The Equinox actually has the auto-lock feature - but I promptly turned it off. It was a little too fast and kept locking the doors when I'd stop for gas. I don't need it locked while I'm standing an arm's length from the door!

I'm good with either system - I just don't want to go back to a keyed ignition. I've come to really love push button start with the fob in my pocket over the last 10 years. I make an exception for my '97 truck because she's real old school with no power anything inside ... even crank windows. And I can cut as many keys as I want for it at a whopping $3 apiece!! Sometimes simple is really nice too. (Just wish the AC worked in the summer!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts