Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL (Ice White)
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all… I’ve had my SC a few weeks now. And I’ve been debating having the OEM ambient lighting put in. I’ve always done this myself in the past, scratch building replicate wiring harness and led modules from wiring schematics (did this with both my sonata and Veloster)

But I really don’t feel up to all the work and wiring this time. So I’m tempted to have the dealer do it but at that price …?

Anyone who has it installed, could you share some photos of the installation, led modules in the foot wells, and the power switch.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,365 Posts
I semi-Installed a LED multi-color lights...Will finish install this weekend... It's one from Amazon $14 four LED light strips... A remote and about 10 colors and it will flash to music, I leaven it on blue or purple and it plugs into the charging USB port..

· Registered
22 SC Limited • Hampton Gray
660 Posts
Resurrecting this thread. I’ve had my SC limited for 2 weeks and I really like it….but no foot well lighting..and you have to pay $200 for an OEM kit with only 2 leds and a switch and a minor electronics interface module?…and install it myself?…to get something that I feel should have been a part of the limited package? This really feels like a nickel and dime tactic and I won’t understand the logic in this Hyundai design decision. Anyway, has anyone here installed the lighting kit? And was it worth the money and hassle? And does it work automatically with the normal lighting system..doors open..existing interior lights switch? Or, do you have to turn these lights manually off and on when you want to use them? Thanks for listening to my criticism and answering my questions.

· Registered
22 SC Limited • Hampton Gray
660 Posts
I researched the OEM kit. That kit was very expensive ($200), required removing the console, had blue lights for footwells (blue color was not for me), and you had to get expensive hole saws of a certain sizes, then drill on the console and when the OEM kit was completed, then it was NOT EVEN tied to the dome or reading lights! If you wanted to use the lights, you have to manually switch them on! No way.

I did my own for under $30. And…my added LED lights come on and turn off automatically with the dome light (when you open the door or turn on the interior lights) and are the same LED color temp as the dome and reading lamps in the limited model, approx 6000k and are not blue colored. Only a few small holes of drilling required to mount a couple of homemade brackets.

What I did:
I just tied into the wiring for the dome light (2 wires) and ran a 2 conductor cable from the roof down through the windshield pillar to my footwells.

I bought the lamp sockets on eBay Lot of 5 CEC 4087-0 Wedge Base Sockets Fits W2.1x9.2d Base Bulbs | eBay and made some brackets to mount the sockets on, out of 1/16” thick aluminum bar (1/2” wide) from the Home Depot. I mounted them out of sight (above the footwells) as in the photos, with 2 screws to a removable piece of console trim…and then stuck the LED bulb in the sockets. Completed.

Easy, but it took a while to run the wires and make the brackets. I’m very happy with the results. Why Hyundai does not include footwell lights in the limited trim package is beyond me….

The LED lamps are 194 style: 194 SMD2 LED Bulbs although any 194 bulb will work….but these seem to be the right brightness so they don’t look out of place. These particular LEDs are also available in multiple colors also….if 6k (cool white) is not what you want.

I only took a photo of the bracket on the passenger side. Driver side bracket is similar. You could easily mount these in other locations also. These are up under the dash and you cannot see the bulbs getting in or out of the car.

The existing dome light circuit in the Santa Cruz is robust and made for halogen lighting also (higher current) so it can easily handle a few extra LEDs tied to it. The service manual shows either LEDs or halogen bulbs…so I’m confident in this. Basically, all you are doing is adding LEDs to the existing circuit in parallel to the existing LEDs.

If anyone attempts this, please remember you are working on circuits that should be powered off and you may also void your warranty if you do something wrong. So do this at your own risk. It’s easy if you are careful and have basic wiring and electrical knowledge.
Automotive tire Bumper Carbon Rim Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive tire Black Rectangle Automotive design

Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Rectangle Stairs

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Carbon Bumper

· Registered
13 Posts
I like the white tied into the dome light just for getting in and out. I might do this too. I was originally wanting to add a few small LEDs and tie them into the existing ambient lighting but I was trying to figure out if that was possible so they would change color with the existing system. This could be enough though. Thanks

· Registered
14 Posts
I like the white tied into the dome light just for getting in and out. I might do this too. I was originally wanting to add a few small LEDs and tie them into the existing ambient lighting but I was trying to figure out if that was possible so they would change color with the existing system. This could be enough though. Thanks
That's exactly what I'd like to do. While it's nice that they change with the drive modes, the 3 dingy ambient lights themselves are kinda dim, and there's no footwell ambient lighting.

If you or anyone else find an RGB light kit and figure out how to put it in the footwells and tie it to the existing ambient lighting I'd be extremely interested in seeing the how-to on that project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts