Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Limited SC and have yet to figure out how to lock the doors by touching the door handle. Unlocking is never an issue. I saw someplace that you have to tap the indent sensor 3X to lock the door but that doesn't seem to work either. I usually stand there trying different touch types and it will eventually lock. Any hints as to the proper combination?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
224 Posts
It IS kind of fussy IMO. I actually prefer a physical button for locking, since you have tactile feedback. I have no magic tips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that seemed to do trick. Kept grabbing behind the door handle before. Guess I'm just a "grabby" type of person

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
When locking, just touch the flush button without putting your hand behind or inside the door handle.
I didn't know this. Thanks for pointing it out. Guess I really need to start reading the manual... :rolleyes:

So I take it there is a way to open the door to, while the key fob is my pocket? I've been pulling it out, then get into my car like my last ride, but then realize I don't need it once inside and try to stuff it back into my pocket while sitting in the seat. Big PITA!

I will have to go experiment with unlocked and locking without ever removing the key fob from my pocket...

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Premium - Phantom Black
43 Posts
I didn't know this. Thanks for pointing it out. Guess I really need to start reading the manual... :rolleyes:

So I take it there is a way to open the door to, while the key fob is my pocket? I've been pulling it out, then get into my car like my last ride, but then realize I don't need it once inside and try to stuff it back into my pocket while sitting in the seat. Big PITA!

I will have to go experiment with unlocked and locking without ever removing the key fob from my pocket...
Yeah, if you put your hand behind the handle it unlocks it with the FOB in your pocket... so each function will basically be fighting each other. That is why you can't have your hand physically on the handle when touching the outside lock button... takes getting used to.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
189 Posts
I'm used to the lock/unlock button on the Veloster, so it took me a bit to realize that the Santa Cruz has the lock button on the outside of the handle, and the unlock button on the inside of the handle. I kept pressing the lock button and wondering why it wouldn't unlock.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
Waitaminute ... y'all are telling me that the US models get a completely different door handle/lock system than the Canadian models??? I have no touch sensors in my Ultimate at all. There is one button on the outside of the handle that I push to lock or unlock. That's it. Why on earth would Hyundai make two different systems for the same vehicle??

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
224 Posts
Waitaminute ... y'all are telling me that the US models get a completely different door handle/lock system than the Canadian models??? I have no touch sensors in my Ultimate at all. There is one button on the outside of the handle that I push to lock or unlock. That's it. Why on earth would Hyundai make two different systems for the same vehicle??
That's what we're tellin' you. To unlock, all you have to do is start to grab the handle like you always would and like magic it unlocks. To lock, there's an indention in the handle that you have to touch.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
WTAF?? LOL Why was Hyundai on crack designing different systems for a DOOR HANDLE on this thing?? I had the capacitive back of the handle locks on our 2012 Journey ... I prefer the one button approach - In the winter, brushing snow and stuff off, I'd always end up flicking the locks when I didn't want to. The button is pretty foolproof. Insanity!! Explains my confusion though, when there was talk of doors not locking correctly if you touched the button while holding the handle ... makes so much more sense now.

I like the Canadian models better. LOL

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited AWD
150 Posts
If you grab the driver's door handle it will unlock the driver's door. If you grab the passenger's door handle it will unlock all the doors.
Or, if you turn on the 2 Press Unlock under the Settings for the Door, you can open all doors from the driver's door by grabbing it twice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm used to the lock/unlock button on the Veloster, so it took me a bit to realize that the Santa Cruz has the lock button on the outside of the handle, and the unlock button on the inside of the handle. I kept pressing the lock button and wondering why it wouldn't unlock.
Seems like Hyundai switches it up depending on model. On our 2020 Santa Fe, it's a button. On my Son's 2021 Sonata, it's the inside of the handle like on the SC. I remember test driving a Palisade and it was the button as well. So, it's a mish-mash.

·
Registered
189 Posts
WTAF?? LOL Why was Hyundai on crack designing different systems for a DOOR HANDLE on this thing?? I had the capacitive back of the handle locks on our 2012 Journey ... I prefer the one button approach - In the winter, brushing snow and stuff off, I'd always end up flicking the locks when I didn't want to. The button is pretty foolproof. Insanity!! Explains my confusion though, when there was talk of doors not locking correctly if you touched the button while holding the handle ... makes so much more sense now.

I like the Canadian models better. LOL
I wonder if different climate conditions might affect the functionality of the unlock feature. Of course, there are parts of the US that get plenty cold, too, so 🤷‍♂️.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wonder if different climate conditions might affect the functionality of the unlock feature. Of course, there are parts of the US that get plenty cold, too, so 🤷‍♂️.
Lol… WBB is right! WTF 2 systems and they’re both from the same plant…

i don’t thinks it’s weather related, my Hyundai has the push button and my Toyota has the door handle touch to lock and place hand in the handle to open….

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lol… WBB is right! WTF 2 systems and they’re both from the same plant…

i don’t thinks it’s weather related, my Hyundai has the push button and my Toyota has the door handle touch to lock and place hand in the handle to open….
Do you have any issues with thick gloves/mittens affecting the functionality of the lock in the Toyota?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you have any issues with thick gloves/mittens affecting the functionality of the lock in the Toyota?
As a Canadian, I never wear gloves… lol :p - j/k - the thick ones I keep in the vehicle… it’s mostly used for scraping snow and ice off the car… no issues with regular sized gloves…

I’m concerned about the cover and how it will hold up with ice build up, as I don’t garage my vehicles…

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I never had issues with one layer of gloves on our Dodge. Gloves inside mitts ... well, you'd have to be able to get that behind the handle in the first place. Besides, as pointed out, the northern states get plenty cold too. I'm only about 120 miles north of Minnesota, and International Falls gets pretty much the same weather we do. I believe it also holds the title as the coldest spot in the continental US, for what that's worth. LOL

I'm curious how the tonneau will be in the snow and ice myself. Then again, I don't expect to open/close it all that much in the winter either. Going to keep my snow brushes back in the bed so I don't have to deal with the bristles icing up from being inside a warm cab, then freezing. Plus, dropping the tailgate when the SC is covered in snow will be far less messy than opening snow-covered doors or rear hatches like our SUVs. :)

Ugh ... now you guys got me thinking about winter. I hate winter. Thanks a lot! lol

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL (Ice White)
45 Posts
Seems like Hyundai switches it up depending on model. On our 2020 Santa Fe, it's a button. On my Son's 2021 Sonata, it's the inside of the handle like on the SC. I remember test driving a Palisade and it was the button as well. So, it's a mish-mash.
Wait. I have to press a button. Is it a trim level difference maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 49 Posts