Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok some I'm debating with myself do I buy the SE or the SEL. Looks like the SEL comes with the 8 way power driver seat with lumbar support as well as heated which I would like. But it also comes with the Blind spot collision warning as well as the rear cross traffic collision avoidance assist which I would not want either. Can those 2 features be turned off with a button? I would imagine you cannot order an SE with the better seats?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yes both those features can be turned off.

And as you guessed you can't switch seats. Hyundai sells vehicles with pre-packaged trims not individual options.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Power seats? Well, I put the seat where I want it and hardly ever move it.. Manual is fine
What I miss with my SE are heated seats..steering wheel and side mirrors all heated.
And I really like seats...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I lucked out. They had 3 SE's at a dealership 25 miles south of where I live. I drove down there real quick to nab the one with the AWD option before it disappeared.

I dont think you can order an SE with any add-on from the higher trims. The one feature I wanted from the higher trims is the tonneau cover and they wouldnt budge on that. I aint paying for things I aint gonna use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I lucked out. They had 3 SE's at a dealership 25 miles south of where I live. I drove down there real quick to nab the one with the AWD option before it disappeared.

I dont think you can order an SE with any add-on from the higher trims. The one feature I wanted from the higher trims is the tonneau cover and they wouldnt budge on that. I aint paying for things I aint gonna use.
you mean the slideable cover is not std?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
281 Posts
I'm scratching my head wondering why anyone would NOT want blind spot and rear cross traffic alerts. Both of those alerts have saved me from either hitting someone in my blind spot when changing lanes or when backing out of parking spaces.

They don't do anything 99% of the time, but when you need them, they're there to possibly save your bacon. I know everyone doesn't agree on everything, but I personally consider these alerts to be some of the best automotive tech out there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm scratching my head wondering why anyone would NOT want blind spot and rear cross traffic alerts. Both of those alerts have saved me from either hitting someone in my blind spot when changing lanes or when backing out of parking spaces.

They don't do anything 99% of the time, but when you need them, they're there to possibly save your bacon. I know everyone doesn't agree on everything, but I personally consider these alerts to be some of the best automotive tech out there.
We’ve gone so long with out those safety features, it’s neither here or there for me. But, because my daughter just got her licence, late 2020 -I was seeking out as much safety features as possible. I worry tho, she might depend on the features too much..
why, I’ve always told her not to just rely on them and always check manually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly, I've gone all this time without safety features that it wasnt even a consideration for me. I bought the base model with the intention of keeping and driving this until the wheels fall off. Less tech, less things that can go wrong after 5+ years.

In my experience, a well maintained vehicle will perform its function going to point A to B. its the electronics that seem to go out before the actual drive train. I believe it's because there's no real maintenance schedule on these things.

If it wasnt for my accident, I'd still be driving an 01 truck with no tech aside from a headunit that i installed for android auto.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hyundai sells trims not options, so its either live without or move up one trim level. They do this on purpose as an up-sell at the dealership. Plus it helps with production but not having so many possible combinations on the assembly line. Of course once you upgrade your get stuck with things you don't want. Honda does this too so its not unheard of.

The only real options are AWD along with various dealer accessories parts like the hitch, mud guards, bed fence, etc. You can add the Activity Package to the SEL which creates an in-between solution - this way you get the Premium's features but without the turbo engine & DCT combo. Sadly you can not get a SE with the Activity Package to fill some gaps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the SEL with the Activity Package, and for me I have to say it's kind of the sweet spot in this trim line up. As JIMI mentioned you end up getting just about everything from the Premium trim but the engine and trans. I do 90% highway driving ( i live 56 miles from work one way) and I have zero intention of ever taking her off road so the dual clutch advantages wouldn't do anything for me really and the turbo just lowers gas milage. But the Activity Package still gives just about all the features and comfort from the higher trims that do which is great for such long drives. Plus that bed cover is almost a must have. I carry a lot of tools and things and having a dry lockable spot is worth the small loss of bed space to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the SEL with the Activity Package, and for me I have to say it's kind of the sweet spot in this trim line up. As JIMI mentioned you end up getting just about everything from the Premium trim but the engine and trans. I do 90% highway driving ( i live 56 miles from work one way) and I have zero intention of ever taking her off road so the dual clutch advantages wouldn't do anything for me really and the turbo just lowers gas milage. But the Activity Package still gives just about all the features and comfort from the higher trims that do which is great for such long drives. Plus that bed cover is almost a must have. I carry a lot of tools and things and having a dry lockable spot is worth the small loss of bed space to me.
It was the sweet spot for me also. I had originally ordered the Limited, but the SEL activity was what was available and in the color I wanted (Sage Gray). There are a few things I wish it had like adaptive cruise, but I've never had that do don't really miss it. Seeing that the Limited doesn't have wireless Carplay (who would have ever thought the high end would not have wireless), I'm glad I landed where I did. I also don't have a need for turbo or AWD so I'm fine with that. I'm quite satisfied. I was somewhat concerned because I have an early one, but have not had any issues so far.

·
Registered
833 Posts

On most vehicles unless the mirrors are very small, the SAE method should eliminate blind spots entirely:

Rear cross traffic alert has no solution other than to always reverse park, which is more of a workaround than anything.

I don't think people don't want those features, as they can only help, but not everyone wants to pay for them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
On most vehicles unless the mirrors are very small, the SAE method should eliminate blind spots entirely:

Rear cross traffic alert has no solution other than to always reverse park, which is more of a workaround than anything.

I don't think people don't want those features, as they can only help, but not everyone wants to pay for them.
Thanks for that video, I remember reading the Car and Driver article when it first came out, but it didn't seem as clear to me at the time how the adjustment was made. That video was much easier to follow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts