Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am at the point where I may be picking up Santa Cruz Limited soon. This will be my first vehicle with a bed, and one of my main reasons for wanting a bed is to transport my MTB without having to take a wheel off or dirty the interior of my car like I do now. In reading some other posts, it looks like for more secure storage or I need to be away from my vehicle, my bike is too long to fit in the back seats with the wheel off (62.5in).

With that in mind I am thinking that I will want a way to secure the bike in the bed if I ever have to leave it for a little while. I plan on getting thick cable locks to attach to the tie down points, but from what I have seen, there are screws that could be removed from the tie downs themselves that would make it possible for someone to unscrew and walk away.

I was curious if anyone had any ideas of if there is anything I can get for the bed to help secure the bike to the bed in one piece?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I do have renters insurance and my bike is covered by my plan so I have that step completed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am at the point where I may be picking up Santa Cruz Limited soon. This will be my first vehicle with a bed, and one of my main reasons for wanting a bed is to transport my MTB without having to take a wheel off or dirty the interior of my car like I do now. In reading some other posts, it looks like for more secure storage or I need to be away from my vehicle, my bike is too long to fit in the back seats with the wheel off (62.5in).

With that in mind I am thinking that I will want a way to secure the bike in the bed if I ever have to leave it for a little while. I plan on getting thick cable locks to attach to the tie down points, but from what I have seen, there are screws that could be removed from the tie downs themselves that would make it possible for someone to unscrew and walk away.

I was curious if anyone had any ideas of if there is anything I can get for the bed to help secure the bike to the bed in one piece?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I do have renters insurance and my bike is covered by my plan so I have that step completed.
The Limited also has two adjustable anchors on the sides. I took a quick photo, and it looks to me like it would be pretty difficult to try to remove them. Maybe a cable in combination with one or both of those points would work for you.

Hope this helps!

Hood Bumper Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
156 Posts
Unfortunately the tonneau cover really limits your options especially you don't want to take a wheel off. If its just for overnight storage I suppose you could use a chain lock through one or two of the tie downs and leave the bed open if you really don't want to remove a wheel.

But for actually transporting unless your bike is really small you likely need to take a wheel off. If its not super large you might bet away with putting the front wheel over the tailgate but you will need to angle it to the point you can't put anything else in the bed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Limited also has two adjustable anchors on the sides. I took a quick photo, and it looks to me like it would be pretty difficult to try to remove them. Maybe a cable in combination with one or both of those points would work for you.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 3347
Thank you! Ill give that a shot when it comes in!

Unfortunately the tonneau cover really limits your options especially you don't want to take a wheel off. If its just for overnight storage I suppose you could use a chain lock through one or two of the tie downs and leave the bed open if you really don't want to remove a wheel.

But for actually transporting unless your bike is really small you likely need to take a wheel off. If its not super large you might bet away with putting the front wheel over the tailgate but you will need to angle it to the point you can't put anything else in the bed.
I do not think I will need it anywhere overnight. Mostly for running into a store at a rest stop or when I am at work (has plenty of security cameras that I have access to monitor if needed)

For general transport to the trails. I am getting a tailgate pad and have done some measurements on my bike that should allow it to fit if I angle it. I'm coming from a civic hatch so just having the back seats available to store things when carrying my bike will be a huge difference for me. I plan to eventually get a hitch and rack for extended trips and shuttling.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For general transport to the trails. I am getting a tailgate pad and have done some measurements on my bike that should allow it to fit if I angle it. I'm coming from a civic hatch so just having the back seats available to store things when carrying my bike will be a huge difference for me. I plan to eventually get a hitch and rack for extended trips and shuttling.
Out of curiosity, have you been able to take good measurements while accounting for the tonneau cover? Let me know if you want me to pull some quick measurements on my own SC for you, happy to help as I know some of the information out there is unclear.

I don't angle, but here's how my bikes fit with a tailgate pad when positioned straight out the back:
Automotive tail & brake light Car Plant Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of curiosity, have you been able to take good measurements while accounting for the tonneau cover? Let me know if you want me to pull some quick measurements on my own SC for you, happy to help as I know some of the information out there is unclear.

I don't angle, but here's how my bikes fit with a tailgate pad when positioned straight out the back:
View attachment 3355
I was able to grab a diagonal measurement when I visited a dealer a month or so ago. From the corner of the tonneau to the other end of the tailgate. Came to around 54 inches.

On my bike 54 inches from the back wheel is near the top middle of my down tube so I think it should fit well at an angle. I think the straight measurement from tonneau to tailgate is 48 inches but I don't think that will matter for me.

Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts