Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I can tell, there are no SEL Premium or Limiteds in FWD as was implied would be available from the website. Anyone know if plans for that were officially cancelled, or just going to be late production?

I was particularly curious what a SEL Premium FWD would MSRP for. I assume it would go for $34K, around the same pricing as a Sonata N-Line, that is rated at 290hp to its front wheels. Not only cheaper, but I would guess would be 100lbs or so lighter, perhaps 3,750lbs which would be 13.4lbs/hp which would be pretty peppy and just barely worse than my current Hemi Ram but with way less wind resistance so probably even better passing power on the highway. I don't need crazy hard launches, just rolling passing and entrance ramp type power now and then.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I thought there was a rumor that the first batch were are all AWD models. Why? Maybe they know that early adopters are willing to pay more? I would not read much into it, they are only a month into production. Maybe the reservations showed FWD would be a slow seller so they didn’t build many.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,076 Posts
Maybe because they need to produce more of the AWD models for Canada. The SEL Premium is basically our Trend (mid-trim) and the Limited is our Ultimate. Actually, maybe the SEL Premium is our base trim and the Activity Package is our Trend ... I dunno, it's just much simpler here to choose from three options. All turbo, all AWD, all DCT.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Forgot where I read it but say that SEL Prem FWD/Limited FWD were not coming till 2022. I can confirm I have been checking for SEL Prem/Limited FWD window stickers but haven't seen any so far.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Why would the buyer of a top-of-the-line Limited with the Turbo and DTC want to give up AWD?
For the $1200?
For the 1 MPG?
The opportunity to hone torque steer driving skills?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Why would the buyer of a top-of-the-line Limited with the Turbo and DTC want to give up AWD?
For the $1200?
For the 1 MPG?
For some AWD is not needed, I think @alisarom originally hoped for a FWD Limited. In south Texas, barring that freak winter storm this year, there's 0 chance of seeing snow or ice. FWD is good enough for soft off roading on gravel trails.
What you gain from FWD is obviously no transfer case, rear diff, drive shaft to worry about, less maintenance and weight reduction. For someone who drives gently, front wheels probably won't break traction and get into severe torque steer situations.

If SC was RWD or AWD, I'd opt for RWD, more fun that way

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Good point which why I've always said the higher trims are way easier to cost justify. With FWD only there is some weight savings and less complexity. As @soldthetaco said it was RWD vs AWD I'd taking the RWD only model. Never needed AWD in FL even on challenging boat ramps. But towing with FWD only? Not happening.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the $1200?
For the 1 MPG?
Less maintenance and higher reliability (due to less parts/complexity/sensors), $1500 cheaper, and lighter weight. I'd have to see some big discounts from MSRP to really be interested in a Limited AWD. We pay cash for our vehicles, and typically try to stay close to $30-35K range, which I think a SEL Premium FWD could sneak into out the door price sometime next year when all this craziness has hopefully died down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts