Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i call hyundai today will give me case number told them the headlights are very poor unable to see at night / need led lights as i live in nevada and dot are not painting lines on the road anymore they are using reflective dots not safe to see with the weak headlights . so if you guys call and have the same problem they will do a factory recall like they did on the tonneau cover . phone number is 1 800 633 5151

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
Can't belive hyundai put halogen light on new model.
Most company now comes with standard.
Actually, MOST new vehicles, outside of the upper/top trim levels, still use halogen projector headlights. They use it as a selling point to push people into higher and more profitable trim levels. Standard practice. Very few offer standard LED lighting from base models all the way up.

·
Administrator
209 Posts
The lower 2016-2020 Ridgeline trims had terrible halogen headlights that received the lowest possible rating in IIHS tests. The upper trims had outstanding LED low beams that received the IIHS's highest possible rating. Revised LED low beams became standard on all trims of the Ridgeline for 2021, but the new design received the second lowest rating which is also preventing the Ridgeline from qualifying as an IIHS Top Safety Pick.

Lots of automobiles have inadequate lighting, but it's good enough to meet outdated illumination requirements so there's never a recall. Many owners take it upon themselves to modify the headlights using alternative light sources such as LED and HID in an attempt to improve their ability to see at night. Unfortunately, this is often at the expense of blinding oncoming traffic. Our lighting laws are way past due for updates.

I can almost guarantee that despite their poor illumination, the Santa Cruz's headlights meet or exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and no recall will ever be issued.

Having said that, there was a recall on a 1999 Buick Regal I once owned related to insufficient overhead sign illumination. The solution was to replace the low beam bulbs with a revised bulb. I never noticed any deficiency in this regard nor did I notice any difference in lighting after the recall performed. In fact, the replacement bulbs were the same brand, type, and wattage as the originals.

·
Registered
2022 Ice White Limited AWD SC
61 Posts
Switching out the bulbs should remedy the issue. Here is one that has been recommended and compatible:

·
Registered
2022 Preferred w/Trend Package
125 Posts
I have the preferred tread with the halogen lights and mine seem to work alright not as good as my terrain with the LED lights it had but i can still see but i will be swapping these bulb out for LED and LED turn single as it just looks weird with the yellow and white lights but i do find it really weird that every other light on the Santa Cruz is LED im not sure why they didnt just go the extra mile and use the same headlight housing on all trims

·
Administrator
209 Posts
Switching out the bulbs should remedy the issue. Here is one that has been recommended and compatible:

Note that the use of LED's or HID bulbs in headlights designed for incandescent bulbs is illegal for use on public roads in the US.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
I can almost guarantee that despite their poor illumination, the Santa Cruz's headlights meet or exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and no recall will ever be issued.
Note that the use of LED's or HID bulbs in headlights designed for incandescent bulbs is illegal for use on public roads in the US.
^THIS^

I bought my SEL and immediately drove about 1800 miles home, much of it in the dark. Not a single complaint from me about the lighting on the lower level models. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Exactly.

i do find it really weird that every other light on the Santa Cruz is LED im not sure why they didnt just go the extra mile and use the same headlight housing on all trims
As mentioned above this is an upsell tacit - what the nicer / better lights? Gotta get the more expensive model. Same goes for wheels, stereo, etc. Typical across all brands of vehicles.

I guess the real question here is can you buy the LED housings and swap the entire headlamp. This is likely down to if the connector is the same between the LED and halogen units. Per the service manual you have to pull the bumper off to replace the headlamp units.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
I guess the real question here is can you buy the LED housings and swap the entire headlamp. This is likely down to if the connector is the same between the LED and halogen units. Per the service manual you have to pull the bumper off to replace the headlamp units.
Wellllllllllllll ... may be more to it than that these days. Are there any programming/computer differences between the two sets of headlights/turn signals? Pop LEDs where the computer is programmed for incandescent and you could be slammed with CANBUS errors and hyperflash and headlight out warnings. Can't say for sure, but I'm thinking that would be the potential rub. Will watch for the first person to try it to share their results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The first time we drove our Santa Cruz at night I thought the lights weren't on. These are by far the worst headlights of any car I've owned. Very disappointed. Otherwise, the vehicle is awesome.

The media is noticing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
^THIS^

I bought my SEL and immediately drove about 1800 miles home, much of it in the dark. Not a single complaint from me about the lighting on the lower level models. 🤷‍♂️
Should these lights on the SEL worry me? Glad you didn't have any concerns! @Walking Black Bear I am new here, but I know you have the upper-trim lights. Wonder what you think about this issue.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
352 Posts

Just followed the link to Amazon. According to their Amazonconfirmedfit, they don't fit. o_O I know from the other thread, they do in fact fit. I'm not sure how Amazon determines fit. Maybe, it's just cuz the SC is so new, manufacturers don't have things listed as fitting it even when it does.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just followed the link to Amazon. According to their Amazonconfirmedfit, they don't fit. o_O I know from the other thread, they do in fact fit. I'm not sure how Amazon determines fit. Maybe, it's just cuz the SC is so new, manufacturers don't have things listed as fitting it even when it does.
yes amazon does not want to be sued when you put into your cuz and burn up your car

·
Registered
30 Posts

I agree, we've always switched out the bulbs for a better brand right after purchased assuming something can be located. We'll see how this goes, wife has night blindness so if the lights aren't bright enough we can convert them or will convert them. Always making this stuff up as we go along. I mean if the dealership has an upgrade then we'll let them hand this.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
Should these lights on the SEL worry me? Glad you didn't have any concerns! @Walking Black Bear I am new here, but I know you have the upper-trim lights. Wonder what you think about this issue.
They don't worry me a bit. If and when the headlights burn out or fail, I will likely just replace the bulbs with the same unless Hyundai has produced a better replacement.

I also like the turn signal below the headlight on the SE & SEL models better than the oposite direction ">" ##### "<" turn signals on the top of the line model.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You have to remember that the SC is new. Amazon may not have the SC specs loaded into their algorithm in order to show if they fit or not. I’ll bet that with time, it will say that it fits.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts