Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran over to the same dealer @soldthetaco posted pictures of the Hampton Gray to see the color in person as well as Sage Gray. When I pulled up, the Hampton was right out front where I could park next to it. Took a few pics to get a sense of the scale.

I believe my generation Frontier is the smallest truck you can buy right now, Santa Cruz excepted. Mine is the V6 and has a tow package, I think the 4cyl sits a little lower in the rear? Not positive on that, but you can see visually that the SC is a fair bit taller. Reaching over the bed sides into the bed I can definitely notice the added height at 5' 10".

Glad I went to see the colors because I didn't love the Sage Gray. It was nice, but there's no metallic to it and just looks a little 'meh'. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't spend money on the upcharge for that color.

The Hampton on the other hand I really liked. I would have bet good money it was also a non-metallic color, but it's got a really nice amount of metallic 'pop' to it. I really liked it.

It's my new front runner for color, for sure. Still would like to see the White and the Stone Blue though...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Glad I went to see the colors because I didn't love the Sage Gray. It was nice, but there's no metallic to it and just looks a little 'meh'. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't spend money on the upcharge for that color.
Was it those terrible lights in showroom vs bright sunshine outside - or is the Sage really that flat and dull looking? Appears to be non-metallic paint, with no pearl or flakes in it all :unsure:

Thanks for the comparison pics. Bummed about the bed height too, but overall the SC is lower so it should feel more car-like from the inside. The SC's hood slopes down vs the flat hood on your truck (really all trucks) as you can clearly see in that first head-on picture (y)

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
57 Posts
Thanks for the great pix and comparison...I drive a Frontier too ( 4cyl) - step in height on the SC appears to be a bit higher....currently have a white SC ( Limited) on reservation , but may switch to that sage grey- my Frontier is white....gotta have a grey Interior so my exterior color choices are limited. Ford is calling that color Cactus Grey( Bronco) /Fighter Jet Grey ( Mustang)

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was it those terrible lights in showroom vs bright sunshine outside - or is the Sage really that flat and dull looking? Appears to be non-metallic paint, with no pearl or flakes in it all :unsure:
The lighting didn't do it any favors I'm sure, but there was plenty of natural light coming in... it's just not a very vibrant color. Definitely no metallic / pearl flake to the Sage Gray, I was disappointed to see that.

The flip side was, I liked the Hampton Gray a LOT more than I was expecting -- it wasn't even on my radar before.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
482 Posts
Thank you for the pics and size comparison, @treybrad. Just what I was looking for. It does not as small as I had envisioned, at least next to the smallish Frontier. The Sage color is off my my list and the Hampton Gray is number one. I like the white also, but I have not been able to confirm if the white has any metallic flake in the paint.

Also, from the last pictures it is apparent that any "aftermarket" tonneau cover will have to use rails on the inside of the bed caps, similar to the Bakflip MX4, etc. That would make if difficult to produce one that is even nearly watertight.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The lighting didn't do it any favors I'm sure, but there was plenty of natural light coming in... it's just not a very vibrant color. Definitely no metallic / pearl flake to the Sage Gray, I was disappointed to see that.

The flip side was, I liked the Hampton Gray a LOT more than I was expecting -- it wasn't even on my radar before.
Wholeheartedly agree with this assessment. I thought I wanted Sage Gray until I saw it. Looks like Pea Soup. The Hampton Gray has definitely become my favorite.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the white also, but I have not been able to confirm if the white has any metallic flake in the paint.
This is exactly why I want to see the White too. @soldthetaco posted a few pictures of one in San Antonio, but I haven't been able to get down there. It sure doesn't look like there's any metallic to it, which is a shame.

My wife's 2019 Santa Fe has a wonderful metallic white paint -- Hyundai calls it 'Quartz White'. The Santa Cruz uses 'Ice White' though... so it's not the same.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Speaking of Frontier, there is surprisingly little hype about the finally after 200 years total redesign of the 2022 Frontier. I wonder if it'll be small enough to attract any Mav/SC shoppers.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
651 Posts
Still would like to see the White and the Stone Blue though...

This dealer in Kyle has a Blue Stone, and a Phantom Black. Indoors Blue Stone looks very pastel but still hands down my favorite. Now I just need to hunt down a Mojave Sand at some point this month. This blue one has been on the lot for more than 2 days, my guess is that if they don't sell it in the first 48 hours, then they will have a relatively hard time selling it. There were a few other folks looking at it but just wishing this was a Limited Blue Stone.

so on sticker, there's a Bed Fence listed as port installed option, clearly that's also called bed extender so just Hyundai casually calling 2 names of the same thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Speaking of Frontier, there is surprisingly little hype about the finally after 200 years total redesign of the 2022 Frontier. I wonder if it'll be small enough to attract any Mav/SC shoppers.
I'm curious about the Nissan, but then again, one of the biggest reasons I'm pulled toward the Ridgeline/Santa Cruz/Maverick segment is the better ride comfort offered by the unibody platform. The Nissan will ride like a truck. Unless they improve things significantly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
They say they have. Early word is the ride is night and day better than Tacoma, Ranger and the GM twins.

Review embargo on the Frontier is on August 10th. Test drive event for media was last week in Sundance.

Availability isnt until the fall. Its right there for me whether I will go Cruz, Ridgeline or go body-on-frame if it is MUCH better than Tacoma I test drove.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
185 Posts
Thanks for posting! I'm liking the Hampton Gray the most, so far. I really wish the blue wasn't so light/baby blue.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I’m kinda glad that the blue is the way it is.

it reminds me more of my first truck:

(Not actuall a pic of my first truck, but it is the correct model/year/color.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is exactly why I want to see the White too. @soldthetaco posted a few pictures of one in San Antonio, but I haven't been able to get down there. It sure doesn't look like there's any metallic to it, which is a shame.

My wife's 2019 Santa Fe has a wonderful metallic white paint -- Hyundai calls it 'Quartz White'. The Santa Cruz uses 'Ice White' though... so it's not the same.
Well, I'm scratching white off my list. The dealer in Round Rock got a white SEL and there's definitely no metallic or pearl in it -- just a flat white.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's the gas mileage that kills it in my opinion well and the price

·
Registered
272 Posts
I’m kinda glad that the blue is the way it is.

it reminds me more of my first truck:
View attachment 1418
(Not actuall a pic of my first truck, but it is the correct model/year/color.)
I boughtt an 1995 Isuzu Pup.....brand new for $1295.00 Good pickup

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am wanting to see the blow out for the 2021 Frontiers but I think they still won't touch the Maverick pricing or the Cruz... and gas mileage is the pits for a mid-size truck...If Frontier had the 4cyl still I would be more interested..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Me personally, I like the new Frontier more. That truck makes me want to go out and hit the trails. Maybe I'm biased because my first vehicle was a hard body. But the new car is for the wife and she loves the uniqueness and size of the SC. Don't get me wrong, I'll still take it out on the trails. We did get to sit in a SEL premium, but we didn't like the cloth seats. We sat in a Tucson limited, and if it's petty much the same for the SC limited, it was very comfortable and the speakers sounded great. Way more comfy than my outback and Acsent (touring) imo.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
I know Nissan got bagged on a lot for the Frontier not being redesigned for so long and, while certainly warranted, the flip side is something the GMT400 crew (even Dodge Journey owners) have known for a long time - those long-lived models mean parts will be cheap and plentiful for YEARS to come. See the other discussion about what if the SC doesn't do well and gets cancelled in a couple of years for why that matters. I looked at the Frontier a few years ago when I was debating a new truck to replace my 97. The exterior/age of design didn't bother me. It was tried and proven. What bothered me about it was that they didn't update that interior since 2005 either. All it needed was a cassette deck! It was a little too spartan on the inside, even if it had proper buttons and knobs for controls. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts