Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
That pathetic manually operated slider is worse than nothing IMO. Who is ever going to climb back there to open it, and for what? If it were at least even with the tonneau cover, but its not. Whoever approved this design needs a smack to the back of the head and a lump of coal for xmas. The dropping rear glass would have been perfect and a solution for the lack of a fancy dropping midgate. /rantoff

·
Registered
35 Posts
That pathetic manually operated slider is worse than nothing IMO. Who is ever going to climb back there to open it, and for what? If it were at least even with the tonneau cover, but its not. Whoever approved this design needs a smack to the back of the head and a lump of coal for xmas. The dropping rear glass would have been perfect and a solution for the lack of a fancy dropping midgate. /rantoff
Where did you hear it would manually operated?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Where did you hear it would manually operated?
The Santa Cruz doesn't incorporate every trick in the book, though. Unlike the Baja and the Chevrolet Avalanche, there's no mid-gate to increase the bed length, nor does the rear window roll down. You can stick longer items through the optional sliding rear window as on larger pickups, but it's a manual slider, not powered.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If that proves to be true, that’s quite unfortunate... and likely to change with a mid-cycle refresh.
Having a window you can’t operate from the driver seat is about as bad as the knobless/buttonless center stack.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If that proves to be true, that’s quite unfortunate... and likely to change with a mid-cycle refresh.
Having a window you can’t operate from the driver seat is about as bad as the knobless/buttonless center stack.
I was OK with it UNTIL I saw it. At first I was thinking it would be a third of the rear glass in the center that slides out of the way, even with the tonneau level, so you could strap down long smaller items like PVC pipes from home depot or whatever to go into the cab to give you some length flexibility. So you wouldn't use it all the time, but it could give you flexibility now and then... but nope.

I'll forever mock this tiny glory hole. :D:cry:

·
Registered
45 Posts
My old truck had a similar window and I used it often. But I could reach it from the driver's seat, so this one will mostly be for passengers if it's not automatic. I'm glad they didn't do a full-size dropping window though, because it seems like a potential maintenance problem that would be expensive to fix years down the road. I'd be okay with a non-opening rear window, but I'm also okay with this little slider.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sliding the rear window open and venting the sunroof offers fantastic airflow through the cabin. Hard to do if you can’t reach the window... I know myself too well, no way I remember to crack it before starting a drive :ROFLMAO:
On the flip side, knowing myself I'd leave the rear window open and forget to close it as soon as i get out of the car. hahaha

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
I'm for a full electric window or a bed to cab hatch. Don't let that bed to cab hatch access space go to waste! If a hatch access isn't doable because of the composite bed or other reasons, then use that space for the electric motor and full roll-down window. There's something very exhilarating about a hardtop convertible feeling of all the side windows and rear window down cruising. Even my 1968 International Harvester Travelall 4X4 has an electric window in the tailgate and there's nothing quite like an all windows down evening drive with the heater on along Coast Highway. It's a sweat feeling. This little SAV deserves one or the other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sure most of you now know that you can get a stationary backlite as opposed to the (tiny) hole-in-glass manual slider. However, I do believe that it is only available in the lower 2 of the 4 trim levels (SE and SEL). In my research, I found that the 2 higher trim levels (SEL Premium and Limited) come with the hole-in-glass slider as a standard option. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sure most of you now know that you can get a stationary backlite as opposed to the (tiny) hole-in-glass manual slider. However, I do believe that it is only available in the lower 2 of the 4 trim levels (SE and SEL). In my research, I found that the 2 higher trim levels (SEL Premium and Limited) come with the hole-in-glass slider as a standard option. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you!
Here are some inside views of the 2 backlite options...

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yup, which is no big deal in theory, I would just get myself one of the two lower trims... problem? Unlike other manufacturers that will let you pick what powertrain you want on the different trims, on the SC its fixed. So if you want the turbo, you have to get the sunroof and rear port. Still not a big deal to me if the base engine were hybrid powertrain from the Tucson, but its the naturally aspirated 2.5 which is not only less powerful but its only 23mpg combined instead of the hybrid that on the SC I assume would probably be low or mid 30s combined. Hence my dilemma. :(

For Canada, all trims have the rear port, but not the sunroof. Canadians can get the AWD turbo WITH the nice black chrome package in a "preferred" trim for $40,654 in canadough which is only $32K USD! I'd buy that trim in a heartbeat and just replace the rear view mirror with a dashcam mirror. I'd wager if I removed the underseat storage bucket, I could route a wire under the carpet through that hole, tape it up good with some silicon and aluminum HVAC tape, and just put a big floormat under there to cover the holes. Then the rear camera could be hooked up somewhere properly by the license plate or something for an unobstructed rear view.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts