Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SC Limited Hampton Grey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did anyone else purchase the Smartliner front driver and passenger mats?

I went with Smartliner over the Weathertech because of cost and the description of the feel of the material.

I have them in and they look and feel great except.... there is a noticeable gap on the passenger door side.

I reached out to their support and they told me to leave the mat out 2 days and if didn't regain shape to make a warranty claim.

So I made a warranty claim and I just got a reply back that they are denying the claim and asserting that the fitment is normal. They provided a comparison pick that shows the same gap.

I know that the front mats are identical to the Tuscon. I wonder if despite them asserting that they are identical if there is a slight difference with the trim along the floor on the passenger side and they are not an exact fit for the Santa Cruz.

Does anyone else have these?

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Car

For comparison here is the pic they sent. It seems to be showing the same gap though its hard to tell with the black on black and the lighting of their pic:

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same fitment here: drivers side is very good. Passenger side has that gap as well for me. I didn't try heating/softening it. (Just reinstalled it yesterday, when I realized the original carpet was still on place)

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Did anyone else purchase the Smartliner front driver and passenger mats?

I know that the front mats are identical to the Tuscon. I wonder if despite them asserting that they are identical if there is a slight difference with the trim along the floor on the passenger side and they are not an exact fit for the Santa Cruz.

Does anyone else have these?
I purchased the Santa Cruz Smartliner floormats. I kept them outside in the sun for an hour to remove any kinks. Overall they came in great shape. The fit was great for both drivers and passenger side. I am hoping that they will release the rear floormats for the Santa Cruz soon.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased the Santa Cruz Smartliner floormats. I kept them outside in the sun for an hour to remove any kinks. Overall they came in great shape. The fit was great for both drivers and passenger side. I am hoping that they will release the rear floormats for the Santa Cruz soon.
So you don't have this gap here:

Automotive mirror Window Gesture Vehicle door Comfort

I also left mine in the sun before installing.

Other then that one spot they fit like a glove.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would leave them out in the sun and make certain your passenger is not hitting it with their foot when getting in the vehicle.
They have only been installed for 2 weeks and they have only had a passenger in once so far. I have left them to sit in the sun more then once now.

And in any case from what I can gather online the letting them out in the sun to regain shape is mostly in regards to the rear seat ones which are for the entire row and come in the box folded.

In any case it sounds like 2 people confirm they have a gap and at least 2 claim they have perfect fit so it just seems like inconsistent quality or possibly getting banged up in shipping (though I believe my box showed no sings of abuse).

Smartliner says they are looking into it further. I was thinking of trying to put a support brace in while at the same time warming the spot with a hair dryer.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
514 Posts
They have only been installed for 2 weeks and they have only had a passenger in once so far. I have left them to sit in the sun more then once now.

And in any case from what I can gather online the letting them out in the sun to regain shape is mostly in regards to the rear seat ones which are for the entire row and come in the box folded.

In any case it sounds like 2 people confirm they have a gap and at least 2 claim they have perfect fit so it just seems like inconsistent quality or possibly getting banged up in shipping (though I believe my box showed no sings of abuse).

Smartliner says they are looking into it further. I was thinking of trying to put a support brace in while at the same time warming the spot with a hair dryer.
If it's any consolation, the WeatherTech liners will do the same thing if not worse on the driver's side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently bought them (Smartliner), I think they are OK for the price , I normally prefer something that is a bit more soft and less slippery; for me the material is a bit too hard - of course no such SC specific after market part exists AFAIK.

I am also not a fan how it needs to be secured (not Smartliner's fault, this is how SC was designed, most if not all mats will have the same issue); I am concerned that at the car-wash they will just rip it out damaging either the hook or the liner.

·
Registered
Limited
214 Posts
How is it Hyundai's fault the aftermarket mats don't fit right? The mats are sold as custom fit from scanned technology. The mats should be made to fit the car. Not the car to fit the mats. haha But yes, if the SC and Tuscon are slightly different and they are selling their mats as the same, it is what it is. I bought the Weathertech front mats and they seem to fit really well. Mine only has a very small gap on the driver's side sill area. But much smaller than the photos I have seen others post up.

Seeing as both Smartliner and Weathertech customers have had different levels of fit, I wonder if it has to do with pulling from the packaging de-forming them some. I think a heat gun on low to try and fit the mat better may work. Just sucks that the customer has to do that on a "custom" molded floor mat.

I like 3D MAXpider mats. The older ones I have used were an all-weather mat that was like a fancier outdoor carpet up top. They looked nice as they looked like a carpet mat instead of a rubber mat. But they don't seem to offer them anymore.

They now have a hybrid mat that is a plush carpet mat with an all-weather insert you add on top of it. As well as some other rubber-type and plush carpet mats. They don't offer them for the Santa Cruz or Tuscon yet. But the email I received back said they should be available in the second quarter of 2022.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just wish Hyundai would have their own all weather mats available. I will over pay to get the official ones, but I'm not going to wait for 6 months after which I've scuffed my carpets already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like 3D MAXpider mats. The older ones I have used were an all-weather mat that was like a fancier outdoor carpet up top. They looked nice as they looked like a carpet mat instead of a rubber mat. But they don't seem to offer them anymore.

They now have a hybrid mat that is a plush carpet mat with an all-weather insert you add on top of it. As well as some other rubber-type and plush carpet mats. They don't offer them for the Santa Cruz or Tuscon yet. But the email I received back said they should be available in the second quarter of 2022.

These look really good. Sad that they will not be available in the near future.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may have had some luck using a spreader to brace the mat along with heating it with a blow dryer on hot.

I think the spreader made the biggest difference rather then the blow dryer. But we will see if it continues to hold its shape after I take the brace out and it sits.

·
Registered
60 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts