Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There had better be some major tuning changes.

First, the car.

I was met by the salesman and said he had a couple left on the lot. They are selling quickly and they had just sold two more today. I suspect this was true because he took me through the lot looking for them. It turns out that there was only one left on the lot.

He said it was the mid range model but:
No Turbo
No all wheel drive
No sunroof
No ventilated seats
Analog gauges in the dash
And nothing automated in the "climate control". (No temperature set, you control fan speed).

245/65-17 wheels and tires

Second, what I'm comparing it against.

Six months ago I inherited a 2012 Camry hybrid. 2.5 liter four cylinder CVT.

The second car I'm comparing it against was my last car. A 2009 Mazda 6, 2.5 liter four cylinder, 6 speed manual. I drove it for eight years.

Third, my impressions.

First the good. I really liked how it felt in size, both seat and cabin. All the controls where comfortably in reach and easy to understand. At 5' 10" I had about five inches of head room. Then again, it did not have a sun roof installed. I also had no trouble driving through traffic. Both bumper to bumper and interstate, the vehicle size felt natural to me.

Ingress and egress was different but comfortable. Face outwards, lean straight legged towards the seat, and it made contact with my "butt" at the top of my thighs. All I had to do was transfer my weight. Again, I'm 5' 10". I would prefer it to be a couple of inches lower, we'll see what they do with the Santa Cruz.

The steering was comfortably light pulling in and out of the parking space. Once you started driving, the wheel picked up some "weight". The brake pedal had a lot of travel before it started to "grab", and then it felt "spongy". The accelerator was weighted normally.

And that is where the disappointment begins.

Once out of the parking area, I leaned into it to see how the "launch" felt.
I pressed the throttle about three quarters of the way down and left it there.
First the "nose" rose, then it cut power and the nose fell. Then it shifted gears and tried again. This time rolling cautiously forward and then deciding to try another gear. Again cautiously picking up speed. When I got to 35 mph I was at the speed that I should be at for the side road. Plus I had traumatized the Tucson's drivetrain enough.

It felt really comfortable with gentle changes in speed like if you were in bumper to bumper traffic, inching along. It has definitely been programed to prevent you from experiencing spirited take offs.
Once you get to 45 mph and above, like I was on the interstate, then the throttle doesn't fight you, but it doesn't reward you either. Punch it to pass somebody, and the car waits a second to see if you really meant to accelerate (or maybe pushed it by mistake?) Then it downshifts and reluctantly increases in speed. I would never try to pass someone on a two lane road while trying to beat oncoming traffic. You'd never make it. I would never pull out into traffic without it being a big opening, because the new Tucson, as tuned from the factory, is not interested in getting out of anyone's way.

If I didn't know what 2.5 liters of displacement was capable of, I wouldn't be so aggravated by this experience. Even if the weight of the Tucson was a challenge for this engine, it didn't really try to push itself at all. And that is how the engine and transmission were tuned to react from the factory.

So I have to ask the question. Is the drivetrain that gets 0-60 in 5.3 seconds for the Stinger going to be "tuned" to give us a 0-60 of 9.0 or 10.0 seconds in the Santa Cruz for insurance and mileage purposes?

If so, even though I love the utility concept, I'm out.

P.S.
I've decided to wait until they get another shipment in and retry the test drive with the Turbo drivetrain. I'm praying that it will react differently.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just found out that they don't offer the turbo engine in the Tucson. So I will have to wait.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As far as I know the closest vehicle and drivetrain is the 2021 Santa Fe with what I believe is the 2.5 L Turbo, with all-wheel drive, and a similar DCT. I would test drive that, and just sit in the limited Tucson, if you want a rough idea. The interior is from the Tucson, as well as a little bit of framing platform, but the drivetrain is very similar to that Santa Fe.

·
Registered
896 Posts
So I have to ask the question. Is the drivetrain that gets 0-60 in 5.3 seconds for the Stinger going to be "tuned" to give us a 0-60 of 9.0 or 10.0 seconds in the Santa Cruz for insurance and mileage purposes?
No car is detuned for insurance purposes. They sell 700HP Dodge Chargers :D The base Tuscon gets 26 city / 33 highway, so its clearly optimized for MPG not stop light drag racing.

Honestly it sounds like a typical economy car fitted with a normal slush-box. 187 HP to move 3,500lbs... Car and Driver reports a 0-60 in 8.8 seconds. Your Camry hybrid? 0-60 in 7.3

As mentioned above the closest analog to the SC would be the Santa Fe, 2.5 turbo, DCT = 0-60 in 6.2. This is downright quick. For comparison I had Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T back in 1996 that hit 60 in 6.4, which was faster then a Mustang GT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you try putting it in Sport Mode to change the tune and trans? ;) I assume the Tucson has this and the Santa Cruz is said to as well.
Yes. Without the turbo, it was weight challenged, and with low miles on the transmission it just wasn't very eager to get up and go. I really liked the interior, and with a "pick-up truck" suspension, I thinks it will be just what I'm looking for. But there are so many unknowns. I'm satisfied to just sit back and wait.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No car is detuned for insurance purposes. They sell 700HP Dodge Chargers :D The base Tuscon gets 26 city / 33 highway, so its clearly optimized for MPG not stop light drag racing.

Honestly it sounds like a typical economy car fitted with a normal slush-box. 187 HP to move 3,500lbs... Car and Driver reports a 0-60 in 8.8 seconds. Your Camry hybrid? 0-60 in 7.3

As mentioned above the closest analog to the SC would be the Santa Fe, 2.5 turbo, DCT = 0-60 in 6.2. This is downright quick. For comparison I had Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T back in 1996 that hit 60 in 6.4, which was faster then a Mustang GT.
Motor Trend on the 2022 Tucson with the base engine, "we liked the 2.5's strong acceleration". They did prefer the hybrid but were satisfied with the 2.5; as JMII stated, it's not a drag car. I have no doubt a Cruz with the turbo will have plenty of get up and go, and if that's not enough there will undoubtedly be aftermarket power enhancements available. That being said, with the turbo's power ratings I would definitely go with AWD, torque steer could be a problem with FWD.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yes. Without the turbo, it was weight challenged, and with low miles on the transmission it just wasn't very eager to get up and go. I really liked the interior, and with a "pick-up truck" suspension, I thinks it will be just what I'm looking for. But there are so many unknowns. I'm satisfied to just sit back and wait.
That is surprising. Your test drive was very different than mine and I forget about testing the Sport Mode, but I did have it in AWD the whole time. From what I've read the Santa Cruz will have a different tune than the Tucson, so that's something we will have to wait for to test out.

On my 2012 Mini Cooper Base Model 1.6L with Sport Mode and manual-automatic +/- shifting, the Sport Mode was dramatically different and much sportier. Locked up quicker and held the gears out to a higher RPM, plus downshifted earlier and used the engine backpressure well. What was so nice about that transmission was all you had to due was click the entire shifter handle to the left and it went into Sport Automatic mode. That was my favorite setting. Worked great for passing, mountain roads, hot around town ripping and in stop & go traffic you could pretty much avoid all braking if you kept a distance because letting off the throttle provided immediate slowing (just like tow haul mode on a Ford F250 Diesel).

I'm hoping the Santa Cruz 8spd slush-box performs as well. My dealer wouldn't let me take the Tucson out on the freeway. :(

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm hoping the Santa Cruz 8spd slush-box performs as well. My dealer wouldn't let me take the Tucson out on the freeway. :(
Whaaat? Man, they must really have an easy time selling vehicles if they don't even allow normal test drives. I test drove a Tucson for 15 mins with our salesman, lol!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't driven the Tucson. My experience with our 2015 Santa Fe Sport and 2018 Kona is completely different, but both have turbo engines. The Kona is an amazing riot to drive in a good way, and the Santa Fe has plenty of power as well.
The Motor Trend review of the latest Santa Fe with the 2.5 turbo engine recommends NOT to get the FWD model because the engine quickly owerpowers the chassis. With AWD is all right. As for the DCT in our Kona, the best transmission we ever had. 74-year old retired Honda tech here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not sure of the tranny in my wifes car (2017 Buick Envision Premier 2 AWD) but it has the 2.0 Turbo with 250hp and it's a rocket...Surprises a lot of people so I imagine the same with the Hyundai's and maybe more

·
Registered
10 Posts
The base engine in the Genesis GV80 is the same as the top engine in the S Cruz. I think the truck should be lighter. In carrying capacity the S Cruz is on the bottom of the low end. Driving, acceleration, handling should put the S Cruz with the 2.5 turbo in as close to a sports car experience as possible with a truck.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Whaaat? Man, they must really have an easy time selling vehicles if they don't even allow normal test drives. I test drove a Tucson for 15 mins with our salesman, lol!
I thought that was strange too. But because I was just test driving it for approximate feel of the similar components I didn't really mind. When I returned, she said that was fast. Lol... She told me exactly where to drive it; basically around the block. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
896 Posts
She told me exactly where to drive it; basically around the block. :rolleyes:
I hate that :mad: I want to drive the vehicle on my normal commute to feel it out on roads I am very familiar with.

Test drive experiences vary widely so much from one dealer to another. I've had people that just let me go around the block (worthless) and others that gave me the keys and just asked to be back before they closed. This includes a Corvette that the sales guy told me was already sold, if so letting me taking for nearly 2 hours was super risky. Of course he could have been full of crap but it was at Buick dealer that was a ghost town. I pulled up in my 350Z so he knew I was a sports car guy.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Around here, the sales<person> always rides with you, and mine was brand new. The dealer is right near the interstate and we were up to 85mph almost immediately upon leaving the parking lot. I thought his eyes were going to roll up into his head.

·
Registered
25 Posts

In its defense the 96 Mustang Gt was a turd........first year of the 4.slow....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts