Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Given the low inventory this isn't that surprising. The pent up demand means as soon as a SC arrives on a lot it is sold - which also explains these insane mark ups, which will only continue. Now it will be interesting to see how long this lasts. The C8 has been out for TWO years and is still hard to get. I'm betting the SC rush will not have that kind of staying power.

Guess it all depends on how many SC they planned on making. This data only tells us they sell quickly, calling it a "hit" is jumping to conclusions. This is like throwing for a touch down on your first pass, its means nothing if your next 10 passes get intercepted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given the low inventory this isn't that surprising. The pent up demand means as soon as a SC arrives on a lot it is sold - which also explains these insane mark ups, which will only continue. Now it will be interesting to see how long this lasts. The C8 has been out for TWO years and is still hard to get. I'm betting the SC rush will not have that kind of staying power.

Guess it all depends on how many SC they planned on making. This data only tells us they sell quickly, calling it a "hit" is jumping to conclusions. This is like throwing for a touch down on your first pass, its means nothing if your next 10 passes get intercepted.
Well at least we got a touchdown LOL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's impressive but it doesn't really say much, for example if the supply is really constrained, as long as there are more buyers than the actual product, it will be flying off the shelves or dealership in this case.

Now if Hyundai is producing a ton of these and they are leaving the lot's quickly, that's different but if it's a small amount, it shouldn't be surprising.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, just read that also - makes me worry as the vehicle I 'reserved' was never discussed about price - dealer first went to just keeps putting me off when ask about visiting to discuss. Went to another dealership (possibly the closest but across state line) but they already sold their first alloted SC. Noticed all their vehicles in the lot have a 'market adjustment of $4k plus nonsense stuff like nitro for $150, etc.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's impressive but it doesn't really say much, for example if the supply is really constrained, as long as there are more buyers than the actual product, it will be flying off the shelves or dealership in this case.
The funny thing is that scarcity can actually increase demand.

People hear that there's a shortage of toilet paper or bread or gasoline or iphones or ammunition, and they end up wanting to buy it more in spite of increased prices instead of less. In China specifically, they actually found out its why some Western stores were doing really poorly too. They had designed the stores with maximum efficiency in mind to be the most convenient, which meant there were no lines. But to Chinese that meant it must not be very good if there aren't big lines, so they redesigned the stores to have high visibility bottlenecks in traffic, and when the people saw there is a huge line for something it attracted even more people, so perceived demand created more demand. Seems like console releases exploit this too, making sure to constrain supply because if people hear that its hard to get the latest Nintendo then it must be really good so people want it more, compared to if they just built extra to begin with and ensured stores all had tons of stock on hand.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The funny thing is that scarcity can actually increase demand.
Very true. You see this all the time at restaurants, the infamous "false wait". They will sometimes block off sections forcing people into all the tables near the bar to make the place appear very busy and thus popular.

However in the case of the SC I still believe this is a supply problem. They have only made around 2,000 of these vehicles so far. At this pace that means around 30k units a year which is about the same as the Ridgeline and around 10k less then what C7s averaged (for the first 3 years). Currently GM is only able to crank out 20k C8s a year which is 1/2 of what they need to satisfy demand :oops: which explains why you can't find one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the fifth SC to make it to the dealer in Huntsville AL. The first four and mine were sold they day they arrived. I had a salesman we had previously bought from watching for me and he was texting me as they came in. He texted me at lunch about two weeks ago that one had just arrived on the truck that was close to what we wanted. We immediately left and bought it that day. After we got there another customer and his salesman saw us walking to the SC and that customer was wanting to test drive it. My salesman held up the keys and said that it was spoken for. That customer took a bunch of pictures of it before we test drove it.

I don't know since then if they have been selling them the same day they arrived. No markup here in Huntsville, but no markdown either, sticker price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If any of you are in possible driving distance to HSV and want that salesman to watch out for you, let me know and we can email and make it happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the limited santa cruz model, haven't driven our 2019 BMW X4 since purchasing. So we really like our new Cruz.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts