Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased the SC so I can tow a small travel trailer. The spare tire is not a full size spare; has anyone considered replacing the current spare with a full size tire and rim? Will it even fit in the current space?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I know this threads a little old, but I can definitively answer. Yes, a full size spare will fit (18" wheels with stock tire size) but not with the Curt hitch (and I'd assume OEM). Here's a pic with hitch not installed. It doesn't hang as low as it looks, there's not really a change to overall ground clearance.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
I know this threads a little old, but I can definitively answer. Yes, a full size spare will fit (18" wheels with stock tire size) but not with the Curt hitch (and I'd assume OEM). Here's a pic with hitch not installed. It doesn't hang as low as it looks, there's not really a change to overall ground clearance.
View attachment 5227
This is interesting. Is that spare tire the same ~30" diameter as the OEM tires?

When I was under my SC installing a trailer hitch I measured the distance from the suspension crossbar to the rear body/bumper as ~29". I assumed a OEM full size spare would not fit.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This is interesting. Is that spare tire the same ~30" diameter as the OEM tires?

When I was under my SC installing a trailer hitch I measured the distance from the suspension crossbar to the rear body/bumper as ~29". I assumed a OEM full size spare would not fit.
Yes, it's an 18" Palisade rim with a 245/60/R18. I think they are supposed to be a 29" diameter. You'll notice it's offset slightly, and it just barely fit.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes, it's an 18" Palisade rim with a 245/60/R18. I think they are supposed to be a 29" diameter. You'll notice it's offset slightly, and it just barely fit.
That's wonderful! I will let my brother know. He doesn't plan to put a hitch on his, only the 4-way trailer light computer module and a light bar between the tailgate and bumper like many have done. Great to have a full size.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Shucks, I have the Curt hitch. They really should have capacity for a full size spare due to towing
FWIW I've considered putting an slighty smaller "real" fullsize spare on mine with the trailer hitch just in case I need it when on the back roads. An equal diameter fullsize spare would be ideal, but unless I decide to carry one in the bed on those trips, a real tire (even if slighty smaller) is better than that light weight donut that comes with it.

It might work as food if I get stranded though! :ROFLMAO:
Head Food Gesture Happy Font

1 - 10 of 10 Posts