Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased the SC so I can tow a small travel trailer. The spare tire is not a full size spare; has anyone considered replacing the current spare with a full size tire and rim? Will it even fit in the current space?

· Registered
526 Posts
I know this threads a little old, but I can definitively answer. Yes, a full size spare will fit (18" wheels with stock tire size) but not with the Curt hitch (and I'd assume OEM). Here's a pic with hitch not installed. It doesn't hang as low as it looks, there's not really a change to overall ground clearance.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,991 Posts
I know this threads a little old, but I can definitively answer. Yes, a full size spare will fit (18" wheels with stock tire size) but not with the Curt hitch (and I'd assume OEM). Here's a pic with hitch not installed. It doesn't hang as low as it looks, there's not really a change to overall ground clearance.
View attachment 5227
This is interesting. Is that spare tire the same ~30" diameter as the OEM tires?

When I was under my SC installing a trailer hitch I measured the distance from the suspension crossbar to the rear body/bumper as ~29". I assumed a OEM full size spare would not fit.

· Registered
526 Posts
This is interesting. Is that spare tire the same ~30" diameter as the OEM tires?

When I was under my SC installing a trailer hitch I measured the distance from the suspension crossbar to the rear body/bumper as ~29". I assumed a OEM full size spare would not fit.
Yes, it's an 18" Palisade rim with a 245/60/R18. I think they are supposed to be a 29" diameter. You'll notice it's offset slightly, and it just barely fit.

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes, it's an 18" Palisade rim with a 245/60/R18. I think they are supposed to be a 29" diameter. You'll notice it's offset slightly, and it just barely fit.
That's wonderful! I will let my brother know. He doesn't plan to put a hitch on his, only the 4-way trailer light computer module and a light bar between the tailgate and bumper like many have done. Great to have a full size.

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Shucks, I have the Curt hitch. They really should have capacity for a full size spare due to towing
FWIW I've considered putting an slighty smaller "real" fullsize spare on mine with the trailer hitch just in case I need it when on the back roads. An equal diameter fullsize spare would be ideal, but unless I decide to carry one in the bed on those trips, a real tire (even if slighty smaller) is better than that light weight donut that comes with it.

It might work as food if I get stranded though! :ROFLMAO:
Head Food Gesture Happy Font

· Registered
3 Posts
Will a full-size fit in the stock location with the hitch if you deflate it first? Carry an air compressor so you can fill it on the side of the road.

Is there ANY brand of hitch that will allow a full-size to fit in the stock location?

Thanks,
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.