Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that the mph registers about 2 mph less than what Google Maps shows? Google Maps consistently matched the speedometer on my 2018 Jeep that I traded in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i don't have a SC but I do have a Sonata 2011. And it has always reported a higher speed than actual, be it GPS or onroad radars. I am not surprised but saddened to hear that this is the case with the SC if others report the same. I think it might be just another "cheat" in getting higher MPG ratings than actual. Car is actually driving a little slower than reported so MPG theoretically is slightly better. I have had my car looked at by dealership and their programs say the speedometer is reporting correctly but never does it agree with any radar gun or GPS. YMMV

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
At highway speeds, GPS will actually be more accurate than your speedometer. This is not the case going 25 mph though, so be careful there.
I beg to differ... it really depends on the GPS's sampling rate and how many satellites it has locked onto. I've learned this because my brother and I have run several track racing / logging apps along with various aftermarket GPS units. These are used for coaching, improving lines, testing differences (like tires), etc and getting a fast, accurate GPS costs money.

The GPS in your phone is not really accurate in comparison. The faster you go the larger margin of error. So I would trust the car's speed-o more, provided your running the OEM wheels and tires at the correct tire pressure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
curious still, not using GPS, here in NH school zones and such all over have radar which post speeds. Drive by one going 25/35 whatever and see if it matches. i know in my car the speed on my GPS and the radar are the same and my speedometer is always off by a couple. Try it and let us know. Unless the radar on ALL of these things are rigged too.
Or you can have a friend drive their car behind you. state you are going 55/65 on the highway with cruise on and see what speed they are going.

·
Registered
733 Posts
You can also go out on the super slab, set your cruise control for 60, then time the run between mile marker posts -- the more miles, the better. Of course, this demands that you live in the flatlands and traffic is fairly light.

·
Registered
Limited
214 Posts
I can see some manufacturers building in a safety margin with the speedo. As to not being blamed for incorrect speed readings and tickets.

I know my E90 BMW has a 3 mph increase over the actual speed. With coding, you can show their speed or the actual speed. I wish coding was popular with Hyundai vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts