Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
White Limited AWD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've got 1,500 miles on my Santa Cruz Limited AWD, I thought I'd post here to see what everyone thinks about these issues.

Overall, I am absolutely in love with this ride so none of these issues, if actual issues, will change my opinion of that.

1. Squeaky brakes. My brakes are squeaking almost every time I use them. This is after multiple car washes, trying to slam my brakes, etc.
  2. Liquid under car. I've been noticing liquid on the driveway/garage but haven't put much thought into it until last night. The driveway still had the spot on it hours after the car was in the driveway. I am hoping it's just from the A/C and nothing to worry about, but I think the next time I see it I will dab it with a paper towel to see what color it is.
  3. Fan running. Has anyone else noticed after shutting the engine off that a fan is running pretty loud for 30 seconds to a minute or so? I know some cars are designed to do this, but it's been a while since I had a car that did. As an example, I went for a drive last night and it was probably 80-85 degrees outside, I had the sunroof open and back windows cracked. A/C was on auto/68 degrees. It didn't seem super hot outside, so a little strange that the fans were running so loud once the car was shut off. This was around 9:30pm at night.
  4. Bumpy ride. I've noticed when going about 45-55 MPH on local roads, sometimes the ride feels bumpy. I don't feel it in the steering wheel, it just feels like I'm going over bumps or something with the tires.....I've heard some people talk about vibration issues in Hyundai/Kia. Could this be what I'm describing?

As you can tell, I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever, so I hope this makes sense. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 1000 miles on my limited now, None of those issues. We will be taking it on a long trip to New England states in a couple of weeks, will see how it does then.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Brakes - could be a number of things. Squeaks generally occur because the pads are vibrating in the calipers. There should be shims or clips that stops this. Also might need the back of the pads or caliper pins lubed. As the vehicle is under warranty I would have them inspected. Maybe even try to record the sound with your phone by having someone else drive by and stop next to you. Bedding the brakes might help. To do this perform several hard braking events in a row. You need to get the brakes hot enough to transfer pad material but not so hot they melt. Once hot they need to cool properly. Here is the procedure https://www.autozone.com/diy/brakes/bedding-brakes they might squeak a little due to rust created during a car wash. The bedding procedure will remove this but it could return if the rotors get wet then sit for a few days.

Liquid under the car - your logic and troubleshooting procedure is perfect. I too would assume A/C dripping so the color / smell of the fluid will tell you what it is.

Fan - the manual indicates the fan may run after the vehicle is turned off. This is more common on turbos so it wouldn't surprise me if a SC does this.

Ride - no clue... heck I don't even have a SC yet.

Good luck and report back.

·
Registered
White Limited AWD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brakes - could be a number of things. Squeaks generally occur because the pads are vibrating in the calipers. There should be shims or clips that stops this. Also might need the back of the pads or caliper pins lubed. As the vehicle is under warranty I would have them inspected. Maybe even try to record the sound with your phone by having someone else drive by and stop next to you. Bedding the brakes might help. To do this perform several hard braking events in a row. You need to get the brakes hot enough to transfer pad material but not so hot they melt. Once hot they need to cool properly. Here is the procedure https://www.autozone.com/diy/brakes/bedding-brakes they might squeak a little due to rust created during a car wash. The bedding procedure will remove this but it could return if the rotors get wet then sit for a few days.

Liquid under the car - your logic and troubleshooting procedure is perfect. I too would assume A/C dripping so the color / smell of the fluid will tell you what it is.

Fan - the manual indicates the fan may run after the vehicle is turned off. This is more common on turbos so it wouldn't surprise me if a SC does this.

Ride - no clue... heck I don't even have a SC yet.

Good luck and report back.
Thanks! This is great feedback. I'll report back when I test the liquid.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You can dip a finger in it and then rub it to see if it is oily or watery.

Can you rinse it off the driveway with a hose, or does it resist the water, causing it to bead up into drops on the surface?

Reactions: D2jcv

·
Registered
Santa Cruz - Searching...
94 Posts
Liquid under car. The driveway still had the spot on it hours after the car was in the driveway. I am hoping it's just from the A/C and nothing to worry about...
Typically, drips from A/C condensation will not remain for "hours", so I have my doubts. Dip a finger and smell tells the story. Broad category ID between petroleum based, coolant, or water.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
941 Posts
Other than the squeaky brakes, I think the rest are minor normal things. My brakes are completely silent, so there's got to be a fix for that. I did go through a thunder storm and down pour in UT a few days ago, but I haven't even washed it in almost 2,000 miles of ownership. That storm even cleaned the bugs off the front the the car for me.

·
Registered
White Limited AWD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay reporting back on the liquid underneath the car. I dabbed a paper towel in it once I parked in the garage last night. It came back clear and was very watery. I didn't notice any type of smell. If anything it smelled a little bit like a cleaner but that might have just been from the paper towel or in my head.

I think you guys are right about the fan being normal. Now that I think about it, the last car I had that did this was also a turbo engine (VW GTI).

I'll be scheduling a service appointment for the brakes and will mention the bumpy ride, but honestly it's not that noticeable and I was just curious to see if others have experienced anything similar.

This is such a fantastic vehicle!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'll be scheduling a service appointment for the brakes and will mention the bumpy ride, but honestly it's not that noticeable and I was just curious to see if others have experienced anything similar.

Does anyone know if the Turbo/DCT models have a stiffer suspension than the NA/Slushbox models. I can see the 20" wheel Limited's possibly having a rougher or bumpier ride, but the SEL Premium I believe has the same 18" tires as all the other models below it. That makes me wonder if the Turbo/DCT models might have a "sportier" suspension???

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
That makes me wonder if the Turbo/DCT models might have a "sportier" suspension???
If it did I would assume Hyundai would be advertising this advantage. The service manual doesn't seem to indicate any differences but it also doesn't show part numbers so there could be a difference. Good call on the 18" vs 20" wheels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The ride is a bit subjective too. Try inflating your tires to a solid 36 psi if they are not and see how the ride is. Maybe go-ahead and ask the dealer to do a balance and rotation.

If the vibration happens under acceleration it could be a little slackness somewhere in the drive line that lets some resonance get noticed. If It just happens when you let off the gas and your coasting it could be the transmission a being a little grabby or something with the wheel balance.

Sometimes it's the road itself, you can have resonant patterns in how the asphalt was laid down or settled, or even ossiclations if they're is some commonality in the kind of vehicle traffic it regularly sees 'washboard' roads

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just as a side note, on my drive home I got a very strange hum/whistle noise a few hundred miles in. My first thought was, oh no I have a new car bearing lubrication issue. I tried varying my speed and rpm, but it only made a slight difference. My stress level started rising as I drove along. The next thing I know it stopped, then it started again miles later. The commonality in it coming and going was was a change in pavement. 😅 Something about the pavement in certain sections of that state made the tires hum/whistle in a strange way. Very noticeable and unlike any noise I have ever heard a tire make.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay reporting back on the liquid underneath the car. I dabbed a paper towel in it once I parked in the garage last night. It came back clear and was very watery. I didn't notice any type of smell. If anything it smelled a little bit like a cleaner but that might have just been from the paper towel or in my head.

I think you guys are right about the fan being normal. Now that I think about it, the last car I had that did this was also a turbo engine (VW GTI).

Any update on the squeaky brakes? Same issue here at just under 1,000 miles

·
Registered
White Limited AWD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know this may bee 'too obvious', but have you checked the tire pressures? cars are OFTEN delivered to customers with the high shipping pressures unchanged.
TPMS hasn't notified me of any low tires, so I don't think this is it. Someone mentioned it could be the road conditions. I'm coming from two Lexus models (2019 UX and 2020 ES) so maybe I'm just used to those really softening the ride? I'm not sure, but even before that I had a VW GTI with a sporty suspension and this feels different. Bumpier.
Any update on the squeaky brakes? Same issue here at just under 1,000 miles
No, sorry. I still need to schedule a service appointment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
He said higher tire pressures than normal, not lower. A tire with more pressure will ride harsher than one with lower pressure.
agree, check the tire pressure to make sure its not too high. I have had many new cars come over inflated from the dealer, to the point that I ask them to double check every time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts