Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL w/activity pkg
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a '22 SEL non Bose edition... I have a kicker 8" hideaway sub from a previous project. Since I haven't had to spend any money on these upgrades yet I am considering purchasing a premade wiring harness kit from Hoel Wiring. As far as I can tell this harness plugs into the back of the head unit nice and clean so no need to tap into the door speaker wires.

However, I can't find anything online or YouTube showing how to gain access to the rear of the stock head unit. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

I also emailed Hoel about this as well. If they have a solution I will post it here.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hyundai Service Website will show you how. Its a subscription service. The plastic surrounding the unit just unsnaps based on the pictures, then a few obvious screws gets the unit out so you can access the back where the wiring harness is. Panels come off in this order: bottom first, then sides, then front cover.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Hi, I have a '22 SEL non Bose edition... I have a kicker 8" hideaway sub from a previous project. Since I haven't had to spend any money on these upgrades yet I am considering purchasing a premade wiring harness kit from Hoel Wiring. As far as I can tell this harness plugs into the back of the head unit nice and clean so no need to tap into the door speaker wires.

However, I can't find anything online or YouTube showing how to gain access to the rear of the stock head unit. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

I also emailed Hoel about this as well. If they have a solution I will post it here.

Thank you
Here is access to free Chiltons manuals for every car known to mankind! Santa Cruz is in there.

Password nclive001

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the replies, I've never had purchased a vehicle in it's first model year so I am used to the information already being all over the web.

Also, Hoel responded to my email and they provide detailed instructions for the head unit removal for customers. I know a custom wiring harness is not necessary but I'm happy to pay for it since I already own the speaker minus some already cut wiring.

Once I get everything I will post pictures of the install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got my wiring harness today - super fast shipping - and took a crack at installing it after work. The instructions supplied were actually for the Limited version, but close enough for me to be successful.

There are two skinny trim pieces on either side of the head unit faceplate (circled in yellow). Remove these with a plastic pry tool to expose the two upper screws. There are two more screws in the lower side section of the faceplate. Unfortunately, I was unable to remove the very bottom section (red arrows). There is a seam just below the climate controls, but I could not figure out how to pry it apart without damage.

Luckily, the base model's climate control unit kinda nests into the faceplate without clips. The bottom two screws are attached to the climate control module. This allows you to shimmy the faceplate and trim out from the frame a bit. I was then able to barely get a screwdriver in and remove the bottom screws. If you think ahead it may be possible to move the shifter away from the dash and give you more room to work with. The climate control module could possibly be left installed with the bottom screws.

Once the faceplate is off you have a few control wires to disconnect, nothing to complicated as they are mostly different type of connectors. There are two black ones that I guess are ground wires, keep these separate as they look the same. They connect to small metal tabs on the back of the faceplate.

The head unit is mounted vertically with 4 screws. All the wire connections are on the bottom.

The Hoel harness plugs into the bottom in replacing two identical but mirrored plugs. One grey and one white. Take note of their orientation when you remove them, I'm not 100% sure if they can accidentally be swapped when re-connected.

I fed the long speaker cable through a space behind the head unit and it dropped out of the dash into the driver's side floorboard area. I didn't have much trouble replacing the head unit with the new harness, seemed to.be enough space for me to gently push everything back inside the cavity.

It took me a few minutes to shimmy the faceplate back into position. No damaged clips, no damaged trim pieces, and only finger prints and sweat drips visible on the dash after installation.

After reconnecting the battery and testing to make sure everything worked,I called it quits for the night. I will try and finish the sub wiring and install tomorrow after work
Hood Electrical wiring Auto part Electric blue Gas

Computer hardware Laptop accessory Electronic engineering Technology Font

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Grille Wheel Automotive tire

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Gear shift

Hood Purple Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Purple Font Violet Magenta Cable

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my kicker hS8 installed today... The kick panels were very easy to remove and hiding the wiring was pretty easy too.

But I think I do have a problem...

The wiring harness from Hoel is set up for DC offset, but when I plugged in the connector to the sub it turned my radio on (the vehicle was off, nothing else came on, and I did not hit the ignition button) while in DC offset mode. When I flipped the switch to 12v it turned off. In 12v mode it seemed to work appropriately, correct lights came on, sounded good, appeared to turn off when I turned the vehicle off.

Now, everything in the vehicle seems to be off. The sub light does not appear to be on.... But I am getting random notifications from bluelink that one of my doors is open or unlocked. Checked the vehicle (physically and in the app) and none of the doors are unlocked.

So, just a rundown on how my sub is wired up:

1) Hoel Wiring harness into the back of the factory stereo head unit (non Bose)

2) wires down the driver's side kick panels to the sub. Power wire along the kick panel, thru fire wall, and attached to positive terminal of batter with 15a inline fuse.

3) ground wire to floor bolt for rear seat.

4) I did not wire in a remote wire to a switching 12v source since the harness is supposed to be ready for DC offset.

5) DC offset turned just my radio on without me touching the start button once I connected the 12v power wire to battery... So I flipped the switch to 12v and it turned off.

Anybody have any ideas? This is an older sub that I have had in 2 previous vehicles, never had a problem with it and it appears to be in good condition. I am going to disconnect the power at the battery and fiddle with it some tomorrow.

Also emailed Hoel Wiring who has been responsive to all my emails so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I got my kicker subwoofer install figured out....

The Hoel Wiring harness had a wire connecting the remote from the subwoofer to the back of the head unit. Supposedly, this does not affect the premium sound system head unit. Either my head unit has a slight difference in electrical sensitivity or my subwoofer has a glitch in the remote line. To fix my issue I disconnected the remote wire from the sub and then everything functioned as it should while in DC offset mode.

Also, kudos to Hoel Wiring for great communication and sending me out another harness without the remote line!

I also installed Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5 speakers in the rear doors... These fit fine without an adapter.

I went with Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5 component speakers up front. These needed an adapter to fit. The tweeters fit in the same spot as the stock ones but I had to use some plastic pipe strap to secure it to the two stock screw holes. I also used the plastic strap to secure the sub to the back wall... Along with industrial strength Velcro.

Overall I am happy with the fuller sound in. My Santa Cruz.
Grey Font Line Audio equipment Circle

Bicycle part Font Circle Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part

1 - 8 of 8 Posts