Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this in the Owner’s Manual (5-66):
Do not drive with the tailgate down even at low speeds. This may result in death or personal injury.

This is kind of dumbfounding to me for any truck, and I don’t know how to reconcile this with the coming soon bed extender accessory. What am I missing??

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
Can't reconcile it with carrying a 4x8 sheet of plywood either. I guess it only applies when you've got your kidnapped victim tied up in the bed. Don't want them to fall out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
142 Posts
That is just lawyer talk, as Walking Black Bear said. If something falls out of an open bed and causes a problem it was not Hyundai's fault - they told you not to do that!

My biggest concerns when I drive my current truck with the tailgate down are not having my backup camera and the danger of backing the tailgate into something because it projects past the rear bumper.

But sometimes you do need to drive almost any truck with the tailgate down and it is one of those rare times in modern life when you need to have a functional and active brain of your own. lol

·
Registered
733 Posts
Can't reconcile it with carrying a 4x8 sheet of plywood either. I guess it only applies when you've got your kidnapped victim tied up in the bed. Don't want them to fall out. :rolleyes:
Want to have some fun with a hapless sales person trying to sell for way over MSRP? Ask them how to carry plywood, then show the tailgate warning in the manual. After a bit, they will probably say (quoting @Walking Black Bear) "Oh, It's just legal CYA."

Now, for the fun part: Tell them you'll buy the truck today, if the general manager will write on the paperwork "It is safe to drive this vehicle with the tailgate down," sign and date, and have the office's notary affix their seal to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts