Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be honest, I was all-in on the Maverick until Hyundai released the teaser pictures a couple weeks ago. And now with the full reveal I'm leaning toward the Santa Cruz over the Maverick. But I'm missing key data about both trucks. With Hyundai, I need to know more about pricing with various features (like AWD). With the Maverick, I basically need to know anything official, since Ford has stupidly not acknowledged the truck exists yet. I think I prefer the design of the Santa Cruz for my needs, but if the Ford offers similar features at a lower price it would be a contender.

I'm tempted to put down the deposit to reserve a Santa Cruz, but feel like that would be foolish given I'd be committing to buy a truck without a disclosed price. I mean, if the AWD version of the Santa Cruz ends up being $30K, I'm out. So give us a proper Build section on your website, Hyundai!

·
Registered
1 Posts
P
The deposit is only 100 and fully reputable. I put the deposit down yesterday to save my place near the front or the line. Price is the deciding factor for me as well,if it's too high just get my 100 back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fully refundable $100.00 deposit. Big deal. I signed up and already got the call from the concierge service confirming my selection of a Limited in Sage Grey.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I mean, if the AWD version of the Santa Cruz ends up being $30K, I'm out.
This is based on the 2022 Tucson, so price one of those out the way you like it, then add $1-2K to the price for the pickup features IMO.

A white Tucson AWD Limited with the 2.5 natural aspirated engine is $37,635 MSRP after destination, and dealers are selling them for full price right now since they are so new and limited supply. The cheapest barebones stripper Tucson AWD in white will run you about $28K. The first people to get the Santa Cruz will also likely be paying close to full MSRP.

You'll be able to get a great deal on one, but probably not until sometime next year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't the $100 that stopped me from making a reservation. It was this...

I consent to receiving telemarketing calls or texts at this number using an automatic telephone dialing system by, or on behalf of, Hyundai and its authorized dealers. I understand I do not have to consent in order to purchase any products or services. Carrier charges may apply.

As soon as I saw "I consent to receiving telemarketing calls" I was out. Now that I read it again, it looks like I don't have to click that to reserve the truck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered my LTD in sage gray a few weeks ago (dark grey interior with orange accents). Wonder what that’ll look like inside..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered my LTD in sage gray a few weeks ago (dark grey interior with orange accents). Wonder what that’ll look like inside..
I went to my dealer last week to make an inquiry and they all looked at me like I had 3 heads. “Hyundai doesn’t have a Santa Cruz model.” I said they will.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went to my dealer last week to make an inquiry and they all looked at me like I had 3 heads. “Hyundai doesn’t have a Santa Cruz model.” I said they will.
Not surprised. Hyundai/Kia have some of the worst dealerships in the industry, its something they still need to work on especially compared to luxury brands. Having owned a Mercedes and Audi for example, its crazy the culture shock shopping for a Hyundai/Kia. Most don't even provide loaners when performing warranty work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hyundai/Kia have some of the worst dealerships in the industry
I don't have experience with luxury brands, but the problem isn't unique to Hyundai or Kia. It's rare to meet a car salesman who knows anything substantial about the cars he's trying to sell. They study techniques for how to squeeze every penny out of a buyer, but dealerships don't spend any time learning about the product, much less have an appreciation for them. I was at two different Ford dealers recently getting cars serviced, and I couldn't find anyone at either who had heard of the Ford Maverick, despite the fact that it's been all over the automotive press lately.

I flat out don't like dealing with car salesman, and it's why I'm hesitant to give carte blanche permission to let Hyundai dealers start making sales calls to me just to put in a reservation for a Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Robin_Adee.

What if Hyundai started doing direct online sales starting with the Santa Cruz and other new Hyundai's? If so, I suggest reaching out Hyundai corporate and letting them know. Keep us posted if you do, who knows, you might uncover something in the pipeline.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fully refundable $100.00 deposit. Big deal. I signed up and already got the call from the concierge service confirming my selection of a Limited in Sage Grey.
That is the only reason for the $100 deposit, so Hyundai can have their concierge call you and set up the selection of trim. You do have to go into the dealership to get your money back though, if you change your mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I broke down and made the reservation. I actually accidentally made two reservations, so when the dude called me I asked him to delete and refund the duplicate reservation. He did and I didn't have to go through a dealer to get the extra $100 back, for what it's worth.

I also asked him how things were going with the reservations. He said they were getting more reservations than they were expecting. He said they'd gotten 300 reservations within 20 hours of it being available. That doesn't sound like very many to me, but he seemed to think it was a good number.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am not buying anything until some YTers get testing both of these vehicles.

If the Maverick is based on the Bronco Sport and shares the same engines then the Santa Cruz will have more power which makes this decision very easy for me. The Santa Cruz had dropped off my radar until the HP/TQ and tow ratings were announced. These specs put it into Ranger Ecoboost territory which was the leading candiate to replace my ancient Dakota V8.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am not buying anything until some YTers get testing both of these vehicles.

If the Maverick is based on the Bronco Sport and shares the same engines then the Santa Cruz will have more power which makes this decision very easy for me. The Santa Cruz had dropped off my radar until the HP/TQ and tow ratings were announced. These specs put it into Ranger Ecoboost territory which was the leading candiate to replace my ancient Dakota V8.
I betcha 250hp/280ftlbs for a 3.8K lb or so Maverick will feel pretty peppy. The Ranger has more power but is also like 4.4K lb, meaning a Maverick would in theory be a bit quicker. Santa Cruz should be the sportiest of the bunch for sure though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I betcha 250hp/280ftlbs for a 3.8K lb or so Maverick will feel pretty peppy. The Ranger has more power but is also like 4.4K lb, meaning a Maverick would in theory be a bit quicker. Santa Cruz should be the sportiest of the bunch for sure though.
Yup... the ranger is VERY peppy... hard to believe it's a 4 cylinder but it's a fun ride... the SC should be a hoot with the Turbo in it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The SC (and Ranger) have more HP and TQ then my 4.7l V8 Dakota... that is pretty impressive. I went from a V6 to a V8 to now most likely a turbo 4 for towing. Pretty crazy considering my first car, a 4 cylinder Civic Hatchback, had all of about 85 HP :LOL:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The SC (and Ranger) have more HP and TQ then my 4.7l V8 Dakota... that is pretty impressive. I went from a V6 to a V8 to now most likely a turbo 4 for towing. Pretty crazy considering my first car, a 4 cylinder Civic Hatchback, had all of about 85 HP :LOL:
I used to drive a 96 Ford Cobra, thought it was awesome the V8 made over 300hp. Queen Bee. Now V6 Camrys make over 300hp...

·
Registered
2012 Mini Cooper 2007 Honda CR-V 1968 IH Travelall 4X4
37 Posts
Personally I can't even see the similarities between this beauty and the Maverick 3-cylinder. IMHO stick with the 2.5L 4-cylinder HSC! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm there with ya!

I found out about the Maverick first, and Santa Cruz has me licking my chops. Buuut...I won't be ready to buy a new vehicle until late 2021, or early 2022. So, I have time to wait, test drive, and research early reviews/returns on the vehicles I'm interested in.

I honestly get the impression Ford is going to botch the Maverick they way it has the Bronco. The Ford company seems to be floundering a bit, and seems more interested in selling giant trucks than the mid/small truck market. I also question how Ford will get the price point of the Maverick down without putting out a faulty product.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts