Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is based on the 2022 Tucson, so price one of those out the way you like it, then add $1-2K to the price for the pickup features IMO.

A white Tucson AWD Limited with the 2.5 natural aspirated engine is $37,635 MSRP after destination, and dealers are selling them for full price right now since they are so new and limited supply. The cheapest barebones stripper Tucson AWD in white will run you about $28K. The first people to get the Santa Cruz will also likely be paying close to full MSRP.

You'll be able to get a great deal on one, but probably not until sometime next year.

At the bare-minimum. As much as I hate to admit it, take your approach, add $2k for truck "things" then if you want the 2.5T, add another $2k.

So out the door, you're looking at $43k, again, bare minimum. Be prepared to pay more around $44.5 to $45k. Knowing me, I don't want any gutless non-turbo. Personal problem I guess.

Not cheap by any means of course. And reaching dangerously close to "better options" territory at those prices between competitors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
At the bare-minimum. As much as I hate to admit it, take your approach, add $2k for truck "things" then if you want the 2.5T, add another $2k.

So out the door, you're looking at $43k, again, bare minimum. Be prepared to pay more around $44.5 to $45k. Knowing me, I don't want any gutless non-turbo. Personal problem I guess.

Not cheap by any means of course. And reaching dangerously close to "better options" territory at those prices between competitors.
This pricing would put it out of reach for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I honestly think, based on line-up positioning, the base (FWD, NA 2.5) will be priced just on par with the entry FWD SE Santa Fe. Of course, that would be $27k is for the 2021 Santa Fe, but my gut tells me the Santa Cruz will start in the $27-28k range. I'm guessing the pricing will top-out around 42k. My guess is the AWD SE will land you around 30k, AWD SEL around 33k. The turbo AWD will probably run you around $37k.

Based on Tuscon reviews, the NA 2.5L will probably make for lack-luster performance.

These prices do not put lower level Santa Cruz's out of my reach, but if I'm stuck with a naturally aspirated AWD in my price range, I think I'd probably rater have the MPG of a Hybrid Tuscon at the same price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
(sorry for the double post)

I can't help but think pricing the Santa Cruz at, or near the running price for the CrewCab Ranger/or and entry level Ridgeline (mid-30k's) would be a tactical error for Hyundai.

One of the reasons for a small truck market is the size AND price of mid-sized trucks. If the price is too high, folks like me will simply buy an SUV, or a traditional mid-sized truck, vice turning to the Santa Cruz.

IFF Ford manages to bring the Maverick to market with anything close to a $25k price-point, it will likely blow the Santa Cruz out of the water.

·
Registered
150 Posts
IFF Ford manages to bring the Maverick to market with anything close to a $25k price-point, it will likely blow the Santa Cruz out of the water.
But at that price the Maverick will likely come with a tiny 3 cylinder engine, thus it could be underwhelming to drive. Also I believe the SC has a clear styling edge... the Maverick looks like just another truck - but smaller. At least the SC looks interesting and attractive. However practically wise if the Maverick has a 5 foot bed many will buy it just for that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
But at that price the Maverick will likely come with a tiny 3 cylinder engine, thus it could be underwhelming to drive. Also I believe the SC has a clear styling edge... the Maverick looks like just another truck - but smaller. At least the SC looks interesting and attractive. However practically wise if the Maverick has a 5 foot bed many will buy it just for that.
I'm thinking the Maverick will be similar to the Bronco Sport trims and have an option for the 2.0 l Turbo just like the Bronco Sport Badlands trim.

I wouldn't underestimate that 1.5L 3 cyl.. there are those that thought the Ranger's 4 cyl 2.3 L would be underpowered but it's a beast.. and EcoBeast.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If the SEL AWD is $33k, I'm out for sure. I pay cash for our vehicles, so I don't look at them in terms of monthly payments. I look at them in terms of a single withdrawal from my savings, and at that price I'd just find a good used Tacoma for less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the SEL AWD is $33k, I'm out for sure. I pay cash for our vehicles, so I don't look at them in terms of monthly payments. I look at them in terms of a single withdrawal from my savings, and at that price I'd just find a good used Tacoma for less.
Exactly...this is why I think it will be a mistake if they Hyundai prices it that high. If they price it at the same level as the Santa Fe, they will turn it into a flop-novelty vehicle, vice an actual small truck. Why pay low-to-mid 30's for a weak AWD SUV with a tiny bed, when you can buy a more capable truck with a bigger bed for the same, or less.

I like the idea of the Santa Cruz priced alongside the Tuscon, but I think they're going to price it like a Santa Fe, which is too darned much for it to be practical for anybody with a legit need for a trunk. And folks who merely want a truck, can buy a better truck for less.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So, just to toss a couple things into the mix. The Maverick has still not been officially acknowledged by Ford. No reveal date has been announced. Yes, there are rumors that production would start in July. But those date to before the plant in Mexico that is supposed to build it had to shut down due to lack of chips. So we are not going to see a Maverick for a while, maybe 9-12 months. At that point, assuming Hyundai makes good on their schedule, we will start seeing used Santa Cruzes hitting the market. So, for people who are not sure what they like, or don't like the brand spanking new price, wait a year. There will be more options and lower prices on lightly used Santa Cruz's. (What is the plural of Santa Cruz?)

·
Registered
66 Posts
"Santa Crii"?
Eh, no good. Conjures up images of jolly old St. Nick sobbing.

How about "Santa Croix"?
That's more like it! Warm ocean breezes, sandy beaches....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm thinking the Maverick will be similar to the Bronco Sport trims and have an option for the 2.0 l Turbo just like the Bronco Sport Badlands trim.

I wouldn't underestimate that 1.5L 3 cyl.. there are those that thought the Ranger's 4 cyl 2.3 L would be underpowered but it's a beast.. and EcoBeast.
The Ranger's 2.3 is on par with the SC's 2.5 turbo... both seem to be very respectable power plants. Anything less would be unacceptable to me as this will be my towing rig. I currently have a 4.7l V8 Dakota so there is no way a 1.5 would cut it and the 2.0 is about on the level of what I have now.

The Bronco is rated to tow 2,200lbs but my rig is estimated to be around 2,500lb so that would be an immediate no go. My Dakota is rated to tow nearly 7,000lb and the Ranger is the same. I feel safe with the SC's 5,000 rating, but again anything lower would not be acceptable. My experience towing is you want way more capacity then you need. I've gotten 20 years out of my Dakota - and I believe a big reason for this is because I'm not pushing its limits.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Years ago, I had a dinky little 13-foot camper trailer that weighed next to nothing. I could hardly feel it behind my full-size Ford van with a V8 -- until I tried to go faster than 50 mph. At half throttle: 45 mph, at full throttle: 51 mph and stop at every gas station. Wind drag goes up exponentially with speed and you may find yourself unable to even keep up with traffic, if underpowered. And, that's on level ground, but you also have to go up hills.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wind drag goes up exponentially with speed and you may find yourself unable to even keep up with traffic, if underpowered.
Bingo. And Hyundai has not announced the frontal area limitations on towing yet. The Ranger is listed at 55 sq ft with the vehicle itself occupying 30 sq ft.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So taking a few minutes on their website. I like that Ford is making a hybrid the standard powertrain--hybrids aren't great for the type of driving I do, but for most people this truck is gonna offer excellent efficiency. The biggest question I have about the Maverick so far is what trim will be available with AWD. And--like the Santa Cruz--how much is it going to cost to get into a lower-trim AWD.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So no EPA numbers yet for the Ford, but they are aiming for 37mpg combined in the base hybrid trim, that's pretty dang good. Styling of the Maverick is inoffensive but also boring, hmm.

I'm thinking that of the small pickup segment, the SC will do best at the higher end, but the Maverick will dominate the lower end as the FWD cloth seat version with the hybrid looks like a really great value.

Two things Hyundai can learn from the Maverick: 1) Every single trim has shown a hitch with power connections, something I have yet to see on the SC which is crazy IMO. 2) Not a single piece of gloss black anywhere on that Maverick, whereas the SC is going to be a chore to keep looking clean.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ford is serious about towing at 4,000lb plus larger radiator, oil cooler and trailer brake controller. Need to review more of the details but if it doesn't have radar cruise I'll have to pass. 250HP and 277TQ is very similar to my current V8 Dakota. Plus Ford also gave us a starting prices vs Hyundai which has yet to releases any pricing info.

Agree on the looks - its a truck and looks like it.... yawn. They went very basic for the interior where Hyundai went upmarket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
... but if it doesn't have radar cruise I'll have to pass.
Yup. Smart-follow cruise control, all the way down to stop-and-go traffic.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts