Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

Registered
Yup. Smart-follow cruise control, all the way down to stop-and-go traffic.
Looks like Adaptive Cruise is only available on the top Lariat trim, and part of the $3,340 Luxury Package on top of that... at that point you're looking at $31k for the FWD hybrid version, $34k if you want the AWD 2.0 EcoBoost. 馃

Could be available separately in another way, but that's what it looked like playing with the configurator.

The biggest question I have about the Maverick so far is what trim will be available with AWD. And--like the Santa Cruz--how much is it going to cost to get into a lower-trim AWD.
Looks like AWD is available on all trims. A base XL with no other options other than the 2.0L EcoBoost and AWD is coming out at $24,795. Here's hoping that Hyundai can keep the pricing for the 2.5T AWD Santa Cruz around the same price...

Registered
Ford is serious about towing at 4,000lb plus larger radiator, oil cooler and trailer brake controller.
Yeah, I'm thinking even though the SC has a higher tow rating, the Ford can likely tow much more safely at its 4K lb limit with a 8-speed traditional automatic over a DCT (albeit a wet one).

However, I think that 250hp/277tq option, while plenty peppy, isn't going to be as attractive anymore as the base hybrid version.

That powertrain in a Bronco Sport is rated at 25city/28highway, so in a pickup version I would expect to drop at least a little bit, the cheapest Bronco Sport with that powertrain starts at $33K and approaches $40K fast. So suddenly you're talking about an expensive mini-truck that possibly has worse fuel economy than the SC despite being down on power, and with an interior and styling that is inferior.

So while I'm all about lower end trims for the Ford, I'm not sure a higher end $35K+ trim of the Maverick makes sense. Ford usually offers much bigger discounts off MSRP than Hyundai does as well, so really curious to see what Hyundai lists the MSRP at.

Another consideration though is that I believe the Maverick will be a Mexican car, whereas the SC will be American, so that's another big plus for the Hyundai.

Registered
Feature wise the Maverick seems to have pretty much everything the SC has... I wasn't expecting that. Hyundai needs some aggressive pricing to be competitive here. An optioned up Maverick with all the goodies is $36k.

As my wife said just looking at the pictures if your going to spend this much on a "truck" you might as well get a nice looking one - and the Maverick fails in that area. However I'm sure many will see this as advantage as its more traditional looking inside and out.

Honestly the only downsides I see to the Maverick is the ho-hum looks and slightly weak power. As mentioned the traditional automatic is a safer bet then the DCT. With both vehicles arriving in the fall I be doing some serious back-to-back test drives. I'm pretty impressed by the Maverick, I thought it would be a under powered joke but it looks like something I could actually tow with.

Registered
Oh, I'm a dummy, I didn't realize you can already build the Maverick online!

So this pricing is pretty aggressive, even a almost fully loaded tricked out one w/ accessories comes out to $37K, which in the Ford world means that after the first month or two where its hyped, its likely to see the same discounts as Bronco Sports and Escapes at the dealership. Equipping one the way I think I like it is only $23K MSRP w/ that cool Cyber Orange or Hot Pepper red paint. Not bad.

Registered
"I want my SAV!"
Ford's New Maverick Is Most Efficient Truck In America
Ford's New Maverick Is Most Efficient Truck America | 2022 Ford Maverick - YouTube

A few initial thoughts:
Ford Maverick is a small unibody "TRUCK" (Not as much of a Sport Adventure Vehicle like the HSC).
Looks better than I thought it would, but still a truck brick design.
A bit of a boring old school base truck interior look with add-on center screen look.
No AWD with base 2.5L Hybrid.
Base 2.5L Hybrid has a CVT transmission.
Have to go with 2.0L Turbo to get AWD and 8-speed traditional transmission.
Base 2wd 2.5L Hybrid towing capacity of 2,000lbs. with 4-pin plug.
Huge turning radius of 40 feet (verses HSC's stated 20 feet - is that real?)
Apple/Andriod car play "IS" standard.
Great stated (not EPA) MPG's!!!
Great 2.5L Hybrid 2WD stated base price of under $20,000.
BUT... An XLT 2.0L Turbo AWD appears closest to the HSC SE base AWD and at a starting price of $27,080 (AWD & destination included).

Okay Hyundai you're up. Where's your pricing and real build suite?

I'd suggest an under $25,000 base with a reasonable AWD & destination charge.

Registered
Ford is a truck company. I predict they will sell FAR more of these than Hyundai will the SC..

The Santa Cruz is a Niche vehicle. Heavy on style and image. The Maverick is a TRUCK and will appeal to those looking for one..

Registered
Ford's New Maverick Is Most Efficient Truck In America
Ford's New Maverick Is Most Efficient Truck America | 2022 Ford Maverick - YouTube

A few initial thoughts:
Ford Maverick is a small unibody "TRUCK" (Not as much of a Sport Adventure Vehicle like the HSC).
Looks better than I thought it would, but still a truck brick design.
A bit of a boring old school base truck interior look with add-on center screen look.
No AWD with base 2.5L Hybrid.
Base 2.5L Hybrid has a CVT transmission.
Have to go with 2.0L Turbo to get AWD and 8-speed traditional transmission.
Base 2wd 2.5L Hybrid towing capacity of 2,000lbs. with 4-pin plug.
Huge turning radius of 40 feet (verses HSC's stated 20 feet - is that real?)
Apple/Andriod car play "IS" standard.
Great stated (not EPA) MPG's!!!
Great 2.5L Hybrid 2WD stated base price of under $20,000.
BUT... An XLT 2.0L Turbo AWD appears closest to the HSC SE base AWD and at a starting price of $27,080 (AWD & destination included).

Okay Hyundai you're up. Where's your pricing and real build suite?

I'd suggest an under $25,000 base with a reasonable AWD & destination charge.
My Ram has a 20' turn radius, maybe they mean turn diameter?

The other thing that confuses me is I saw listed that it has a 94kW electric motor. That's a whopping 126hp electric motor, which to put things in perspective the Tucson electric motor is only 60hp, or in the plugin version 90hp. So while total output is only listed at 191hp, stomping on it from a stop with a bigol 94kw motor should spin the tires pretty easily. Makes you wonder how big the battery is.

Edit: Just watched a video says the Maverick turbo option goes 0-60mph in 7.8 seconds, so... OK. The hybrid is supposed to be almost a second slower, so not going to win races, but not Crosstrek slow either (Scoobie takes a whopping 9.2 seconds).

Registered

The other thing that confuses me is I saw listed that it has a 94kW electric motor. That's a whopping 126hp electric motor, which to put things in perspective the Tucson electric motor is only 60hp, or in the plugin version 90hp. So while total output is only listed at 191hp, stomping on it from a stop with a bigol 94kw motor should spin the tires pretty easily. Makes you wonder how big the battery is.
and don't ignore the costs down the road to replace Hybrid batteries.... My friend with a fairly recent Avalon just paid $4500 for a new battery.... $40K on a Macan Hybrid, $80K on a full electric Taycan. You may save up front in running costs, but down the road it will all come back to bite you..

Registered
Ford is a truck company. I predict they will sell FAR more of these than Hyundai will the SC..

The Santa Cruz is a Niche vehicle. Heavy on style and image. The Maverick is a TRUCK and will appeal to those looking for one..
+1. Ford has gone very traditional truck, as much as you can for a unibody ute thing anyway. I think it'll appeal MUCH more to the typical truck buyer who is looking to save money at purchase, save money at the pump, wants to downsize, or will admit to themselves that they don't need a full-size truck as a daily driver when compared to the Santa Cruz. I think the potential fleet application for the base model XL with the great MPG is enormous too.

I think the Santa Cruz appeals much more to the crossover/wagon market, like what Subaru has been eating up the last decade. It seems like it'll be the more engaging drive of the two dynamically. The SC seems like it'll be more fun, with the bigger power numbers, DCT and more hunkered down appearance. I'm expecting the Maverick to feel much more like a typical, floaty truck... Hyundai is on a roll with relatively sporty models in just about every class.

But who knows... hopefully both manufacturers will start allowing journalists to drive them soon and the positive reviews keep coming in for both. Competition and choice is only good for us consumers!

Registered
... Maverick to market with anything close to a $25k price-point, it will likely blow the Santa Cruz out of the water.
Looks like we'll get to see if Hyundai was listening to @zeketolliver whenever they finally announce pricing.

Registered
Agreed. The Maverick looks like a truck and acts like a truck.... just a smaller one which many have been asking for since the Ranger became mid-size plus. The Santa Cruz does the same tasks but has a different look and takes a different approach, with a more upscale feel (especially the interior) - this make it more appealing and thus should attract those non-truck buyers. The SC is basically an CUV with an open bed, its for those outdoor adventure types which is a niche, but a growing one. This Subaru's bread and butter market, along with cheaper Jeeps and Ford's new Bronco.

Edit: Just watched a video says the Maverick turbo option goes 0-60mph in 7.8 seconds, so... OK.
The Santa Cruz turbo should be MUCH faster especially with the DCT. And while I realize most truck people don't care about out right speed I have a feeling the Maverick is going to be disappointing to drive. It will not be "sporty" at all. I rather have too much power then not enough, especially for towing.

Moving from a V6 to V8 for towing I saw a big improvement in driveablity even while getting the same MPG because you had to push the V6 hard. I've gotten spoiled by this level of power and can't go back to some weak tow rig. My current Dakota has 230HP / 295TQ for comparison. My original tow vehicle (a '96 Ranger) had 160HP and 225TQ - which handled my boat (at most 2,500lbs) but it struggled and would occasional overheat with the A/C on at highway speeds in FL. That little truck was rated to tow nearly 6,000lbs (same as the Dakota) which I find laughable as there is NO way the Ranger's V6 could handle that much weight.

If the SC costs about the same as the Mav, which it SHOULD - then it becomes a question of style. My wife, for example, wouldn't take a Maverick if you gave it to her just based on looks (interior and exterior). To me the SC looks like the future while the Mav looks like the past. I believe the Mav will not age well as its interior already seems outdated, that whole iPad on the dash is played out.

Registered
I think the Santa Cruz appeals much more to the crossover/wagon market, like what Subaru has been eating up the last decade. It seems like it'll be the more engaging drive of the two dynamically. The SC seems like it'll be more fun, with the bigger power numbers, DCT and more hunkered down appearance. I'm expecting the Maverick to feel much more like a typical, floaty truck... Hyundai is on a roll with relatively sporty models in just about every class.
So the SC they've told us has self-leveling shocks in the rear which is pretty cool, no mention of that on the Maverick. On the other hand the SC has only a 600lb bed capacity (guessing because its plastic?) vs 1500 for the Maverick, which can make a difference if you're hauling a bunch of pavers back home. We did that recently, and even the big Ram 1500 was dragging its butt down the road carrying a whole pallet. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
So the SC they've told us has self-leveling shocks in the rear which is pretty cool, no mention of that on the Maverick. On the other hand the SC has only a 600lb bed capacity (guessing because its plastic?) vs 1500 for the Maverick, which can make a difference if you're hauling a bunch of pavers back home. We did that recently, and even the big Ram 1500 was dragging its butt down the road carrying a whole pallet. :ROFLMAO:
Pfft, payload ratings.... Those are just a loose guideline, right? Overloading vehicles is one of my specialties :p

(These were all short, local trips -- promise!)

IMG_20180915_165013712_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180424_201701660.jpg

IMG_20180310_135104.jpg

IMG_20180310_122750.jpg

IMG_20180316_205420.jpg

IMG_20180331_094622.jpg

IMG_20180310_134235.jpg

Registered
Pfft, payload ratings.... Those are just a loose guideline, right? Overloading vehicles is one of my specialties :p
(y) I had a Civic hatchback in high school and college, my job back then? Print shop delivery kid! I put the back seats down and keep jamming cases of paper in the hatch.

The Mav uses a twist beam rear end which might explain the extra payload capacity: 2022 Ford Maverick鈥檚 Force-Vectoring Springs Come From a Sensational Hot Hatch however this is only on the FWD model and is taken from the Transit Connect delivery van. Wish we got technical insight like this from Hyundai.

Registered
"I want my SAV!"
That's got to be it. An 80 foot diameter would be huge.

I never thought I'd see the day a Hyundai made in Montgomery Alabama and designed in California would be more American than a Ford made in Hermosillo Mexico! I wonder if that's thanks to the new administration cancelling the prior administrations efforts? It's a twisted world we live in these days.

Registered
"I want my SAV!"
Hahaha... I remember doing the same with my Honda Element. Although full sheets on drywall are always a bit tricky when loading and carrying them on an edge slant (crack!). These two new entries have both solved that issue right out of the gate!

Registered
I never thought I'd see the day a Hyundai made in Montgomery Alabama and designed in California would be more American than a Ford made in Hermosillo Mexico! I wonder if that's thanks to the new administration cancelling the prior administrations efforts? It's a twisted world we live in these days.
Si, no es bueno. Whether or not Mr T was a jerk, the jerk had a really good trade policy that was helping to encourage investment in US manufacturing, so no idea why they didn't keep that unless purely out of spite or who knows what special interest groups lobbied against it that bankrolls the politicians.
(y) I had a Civic hatchback in high school and college, my job back then? Print shop delivery kid! I put the back seats down and keep jamming cases of paper in the hatch.

The Mav uses a twist beam rear end which might explain the extra payload capacity: 2022 Ford Maverick鈥檚 Force-Vectoring Springs Come From a Sensational Hot Hatch however this is only on the FWD model and is taken from the Transit Connect delivery van. Wish we got technical insight like this from Hyundai.
Cool, I've never heard of that specific "force vectoring springs" technology. This seems unique compared to a traditional twist beam rear axle. I'm liking the hybrid FWD model for the Maverik, as the cheaper interior isn't a big deal if the vehicle itself is quite cheap.

Speaking of Civic, strange that its possible to spec the Maverick to be cheaper than a Civic, and its actually the cheapest hybrid available in the US, quite a feat considering that pickups are usually pretty pricey compared to cars.

Good news, as Hyundai hasn't announced pricing yet which means they can adjust their profit margins down a bit to be competitive, which is a win for us consumers if this pressure influences the SC price.

Registered
Hey, @treybrad, nice looking E you got there.

Wish I had a picture of mine carrying my riding mower, which I've done several times.

The second hardest part of loading a lawn tractor is disconnecting the tailgate cables so they don't get snapped from the excess weight. The very hardest part is driving the mower in without breaking anything (on the human, not the mower.) Remember to never say "Hey, watch this," when starting to load it in.

I must say that all of the hype about Elements being great cargo transporters is certainly well-deserved. That being said, the reason that I'm here is that I still feel the need for an open bed, more often than not.

So far, Santa Cruz is looking like the answer. Of course, that could change when I finally sit behind the wheel of one (or, if I'm priced out before getting that far.)

Registered
You have not lived till you can say you took a 7 foot palm tree home in a Honda Civic with the tree standing up thru the sunroof!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts