Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like we'll get to see if Hyundai was listening to @zeketolliver whenever they finally announce pricing.
I have to admit, the Maverick checks all my boxes, except one--hybrid AWD.

But, I am not buying until Jan 2022 at the earliest. So we'll have to see how it shakes out.

I value mph above towing, and the Maverick gives me all the mpg I want/need. If I decide I HAVE to have AWD, then it will be a tough decision between the Mav and SC.

An AWD Maverick is priced right around where I expect the SC to be priced. For those who haven't played with the Maverick build tool (toy?), Ford prices the upgrade to the 2.0l Turbo at $1085, and an extra $3300 for AWD. Add in the $1495 destination charge, and $19995 is suddenly $25875(US).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I used the online configurator to create a truck I'd want, and ended up "building" a Maverick at $31,000. That's not what I want to spend. That's an XLT AWD with various bits added, but I'm not trying to trick it out too much. And to get the outlet in the bed (which is one of the things I like about both trucks), I had to select the Luxury Package, which drove up the price into the 30s.

Ford did a really good job. They hinted there might be an EV version coming, which would be awesome. I printed off my configured Maverick and I'm eagerly awaiting a configurator on Hyundai's website so I can make a decision.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Built one more, this time trying to be cheap. The lowest-trim XL with AWD with some add-ons came to $27,000. Pretty good. Biggest problem is the the XL only comes with steel wheels, so it looks like a fleet truck. (By the way, the base hybrid is going to make an awesome fleet truck.) You also apparently miss out on some of the more appealing features, like the bed outlet I mentioned above. I could probably get past the lack of bells and whistles if the dang thing had better looking wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Built one more, this time trying to be cheap. The lowest-trim XL with AWD with some add-ons came to $27,000. Pretty good. Biggest problem is the the XL only comes with steel wheels, so it looks like a fleet truck. (By the way, the base hybrid is going to make an awesome fleet truck.) You also apparently miss out on some of the more appealing features, like the bed outlet I mentioned above. I could probably get past the lack of bells and whistles if the dang thing had better looking wheels.
One feature I like a lot is the option of a full-sized spare tire. I live in pothole country, USA, and having a full size spare can be a blessing, and is worth the extra $110 MSRP, plus the spare is included in the XLT and Lariat Luxury packages.

For me, I will probably push the Maverick MSRP into the 30k range, because my partner wants the upgraded apolstery. I will add the Luxury package for the upgraded sound and extra safety features.

Personally, I would be fine with the XL hybrid base model with no upgrades, but gotta keep the other half happy. 😀

·
Registered
147 Posts
For me, I will probably push the Maverick MSRP into the 30k range, because my partner wants the upgraded apolstery. I will add the Luxury package for the upgraded sound and extra safety features.

Personally, I would be fine with the XL hybrid base model with no upgrades, but gotta keep the other half happy. 😀
I honestly like the appearance of cloth better than the brown leather, and probably cooler too since the leather seats don't have a ventilation option unlike the more upscale SC.

For the safety features, I would research whether they are even worth it. While the Hyundai's apparently work great, on other Fords in the past the systems left much to be desired and ran right over faux pedestrians put in its path, even on a straight road in broad daylight.

The base hybrid also includes a spare standard from what I read. XLT Hybrid FWD is probably what they expect most people to buy, and a la carte options like adding the hitch were cheap. I also like they offer accessories that you could roll into the purchase, such as a flipping bed extender which is a great feature IMO. Along with a tri-fold cover, it would let you use it as a divider so your stuff doesn't slide all over the place like a grocery run, and when needed you can put the tailgate down and get a more normal bed length. Only caveat is the tailgate has a low 300lb weight rating, so you'd need to be careful not to have a hubby climbing up on it while also having heavy items like mulch bags resting on the tailgate.

This is my build preference:
2022 Maverick
XLT - SUPERCREW®
SUMMARY

PAINTS4Edit
  • Hot Pepper Red
    $390
EXTERIORS4Edit
  • Tonneau Pickup Box Cover - Hard Trifold
    $1,160
  • Bed Extender
    $370
  • Bedliner - Spray-in
    $495
  • Trailer Hitch Receiver with 4-pin Connector
    $100
INTERIORS4Edit
  • Floor Liners, All-Weather Tray Style
    $135
POWERTRAINSS4Edit
  • 2.5L Hybrid Engine
PRICING SUMMARY
  • BASE MSRPS1
    $22,280
  • OPTIONSS4 & ACCESSORIESS8
    + $2,650
  • DESTINATION CHARGESS17
    + $1,495
  • TOTAL MSRPS16
    = $26,425
  • ESTIMATED NET PRICES5
    = $26,425

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey, @treybrad, nice looking E you got there.

I must say that all of the hype about Elements being great cargo transporters is certainly well-deserved. That being said, the reason that I'm here is that I still feel the need for an open bed, more often than not.
Thanks! I actually sold it a few years back and wish I hadn't. I got fatigued with the 4AT being dimwitted and slow, and the wind/road noise -- all while not getting particularly good MPG. I've bounced around a few different types of vehicles since trying to get into exactly what I want. The Maverick strikes me as more of a down-to-basics spiritual successor to the Element, but I think the SC will address all of the E's shortcomings and give me some of the performance I want.

I don't have to have all the bells and whistles, but one thing I refuse to go without is cruise control... I don't mean adaptive/radar cruise, just basic cruise control seems to be a 'feature' on the XLT, which to me says the XL doesn't have it?

An XLT with nothing added except AWD is just over $27k. If you want basic luxuries like heated seats you need to add the luxury package at $2,345 and suddenly you're at $29,500. Adds up fast!

I'm hoping the SC when similarly equipped will come in less than that...

·
Registered
150 Posts
An XLT with nothing added except AWD is just over $27k. If you want basic luxuries like heated seats you need to add the luxury package at $2,345 and suddenly you're at $29,500. Adds up fast!
Like many traditional trucks the Maverick seems to have a base "fleet" configuration with plain steel wheels too (very old school) but what normal consumers will buy is, at minimum, the XLT. This allows Ford to advertise a low "starting at" price to get you in the door only to find out you need $10k worth of add-ons to have a modern day vehicle. Even then no matter how many boxes you check your stuck with a low budget $20k interior in which the only real upgrades are slightly nicer seats on the XLT (cloth) and the Lariat (fake leather).

I was surprised to see that Ford offers some much tech, granted you have to upgrade but lane keeping, adaptive cruise, wireless charging, its all there if desired. The sunroof and sliding rear window are independent options so you don't have to get those just because you picked some other package.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The sunroof and sliding rear window are independent options so you don't have to get those just because you picked some other package.
I do appreciate all of the independent options, Ford was smart there. Hyundai usually does 3-4 trim levels, and that's that, period. We ended up buying a top trim 'Ultimate' Santa Fe for my wife, but really would've been fine with a mid trim if we could've added 1 or 2 things a la carte.

Same thing when I bought my Elantra GT Sport. I didn't want the old style dry DCT that got mixed reviews, and there was only one trim available with the 6-speed manual. I'd have gladly paid more for the upgraded sound system, pano sunroof and safety features you could get with the DCT but it just wasn't an option...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I do appreciate all of the independent options, Ford was smart there. Hyundai usually does 3-4 trim levels, and that's that, period.
For sure. Ford knows truck buyers and they love a la carte options.

Honda does the trim level thing too and it can be frustrating.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like many traditional trucks the Maverick seems to have a base "fleet" configuration with plain steel wheels too (very old school) ...
For Hyundai, the Santa Cruz is do-or-die in this previously untapped niche market of trucklettes. This may explain much of their hesitation to market for the past several years.

Meanwhile, even Ford, master of the pickup truck market, has not seemed to be scrambling to bring back the small truck. While testing the waters for retail customers and sniping some of them away from Hyundai, Ford plans to sell 110,000 Mavericks annually to their bread-and-butter target, fleet sales.

You can imagine all kinds of scenarios where the Maverick has been waiting in the wings for quite awhile, ready whenever some upstart wanted to take a bite of their apple.

Reactions: JASmith

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can imagine all kinds of scenarios where the Maverick has been waiting in the wings for quite awhile, ready whenever some upstart wanted to take a bite of their apple.
Interesting theory... they had the mid-size Ranger overseas for years but brought it back to the US in 2019 - was that just round one of their complete truck domination master plan? Ford doesn't sell any cars other then Mustang so its all trucks all the time, they have to fill every niche now, it can't just be the F150. Currently the Mav is cheapest Ford you can buy and gets the best MPG... only a few years ago that statement would have made no sense at all with the Fiesta, Focus and Fusion as options.

Hyundai's delay on the SC was due to needing to leverage the new Tucson platform (or so they claim). They knew the market was out there but didn't want to compromise by putting a new vehicle (the SC) in a new segment on an aging platform. It appears they almost waited too long as Ford was ready to leverage the Escape platform to birth the Bronco Sport and the Maverick.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is painful to even think about the stress inside Hyundai corporate offices right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
CORRECTION

Mea culpa, the Maverick cost increase to AWD is $3305, vice $4300. I initially thought the $3305 number listed for AWD was in-addition to the $1085 for the 2.0l gas turbo engine, but that is the combined number for AWD ($2220 + $1085).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Speaking of filling every niche, almost makes me wonder with sedans becoming less and less popular (and Ford more or less giving up on them in North America) if the cheap hybrid Maverick is intended to entice those that might have bought a Ford Focus in the past that just want a vehicle with a relatively low pricepoint and low cost of operation, and having a bed and more rugged styling is just a perk that goes with the current SUV/truck buying craze.
That makes sense. Hyundai/Kia is absolutely blowing up and eating into Ford's specialty of SUVs, so I can imagine Ford execs are nervous about encroachment into trucks too. Once a shopper buys a brand, as long as the experience isn't bad, they are much more likely to purchase another of that same brand in the future. So I can see Ford afraid that if Hyundai pulls off a uncontested homerun, a whole generation of first-time truck buyers could be lost to Hyundai/Kia who might come in with a Palisade/Telluride based midsize pickup in the near future to compete with the Ranger/F-150 and create a new generation of consumers that trust in the Korean manufacturer.

Either way, manufacturer wars are awesome, and us consumers can only win with extra competition. (y)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't have to have all the bells and whistles, but one thing I refuse to go without is cruise control... I don't mean adaptive/radar cruise, just basic cruise control seems to be a 'feature' on the XLT, which to me says the XL doesn't have it?
Nice catch, can you imagine buying a new vehicle in 2021 that doesn't even have cruise control? Yech. I kind of wrote it off already though as the only way I could do a vehicle with steelies is if I were above the snowbelt and wanted a set of extra winter tires, and so could purchase aftermarket wheels for most of the year.

Who knows if they'll even make many of the vehicles actually priced under $20K, could be mostly a marketing trick so they can say that on the advertisements but actually only build 6 of them for the country! ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Speaking of filling every niche, almost makes me wonder with sedans becoming less and less popular (and Ford more or less giving up on them in North America) if the cheap hybrid Maverick is intended to entice those that might have bought a Ford Focus in the past that just want a vehicle with a relatively low pricepoint and low cost of operation, and having a bed and more rugged styling is just a perk that goes with the current SUV/truck buying craze.
Currently the Focus site at Ford directs you to purchase an EcoSport or Escape, but I bet they update this to include the Mav because your logic is spot on. There was no profit in cars, especially small ones, then trucks & SUVs became so popular Ford only sells those now. They clearly needed an entry level vehicle so the stars aligned - we sell trucks and now we can offer a low cost one - two birds / one stone.

Likewise Hyundai's risk on a new market was reduced (somewhat) by taking an already popular vehicle (the Tucson) and creating a pickup version of it. The same thing Honda has been doing with the Ridgeline for years. This could be the start of a new trend where every CUV / SUV has a pickup version. Many moons ago pretty much every sedan came in both coupe (2 door) and wagon (5 door) versions so an manufacture could cover all the bases.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
That base model fleet Maverick probably has a trap door floor, so Wilma and assist when Fred gets tired! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ToadVine

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
With both of these manufacturers now leaking hopeful information on pricing, specs, mileage, etc...; each manufacturer has left out what just might be the most important model for each from my perspective. We need to see a Ford Maverick 2.5L Hybrid "AWD" and a Hyundai Santa Cruz AWD "Hybrid." The lack of these two models may put many people's purchase on hold to see if they materialize.

Reactions: BeelineS82

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
3 Posts
A/C question....living in a place where even the asphalt melts ( gonna be in the 1 teens ( 110+) later this week) ...I know Ford and GM build pretty good A/C units in their vehicles, and I driven past the Hyundai test grounds in the high desert of California ( not far from Edwards AFB) ....does any one have first hand experience with the A/C efficiency/quality in a Hyundai vehicle?...is the fan really loud?....does it take a long time to cool the cabin down ( especially with leather seats)? ...any input would be helpful...I have reserved a white SC and the sales person sez the interior seats would be gray...can't get grey with any other exterior color but white....thnx in advance

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife has a 2019 Santa Fe. We live in the Austin TX area, we don't usually see 110*+, but 105* isn't unusual (unfortunately).

I think her A/C does great. She has the pano sunroof as well, and we've forgotten to close the shade a few times which really gets the inside baking. Her A/C works as well as any others I've sampled (Honda, Nissan and Mazda are our most recent other makes).

The ability to remote start the car with the A/C and vented seats going full tilt is great, especially with a young kiddo. I'm not sure if Blue Link will be standard on the Santa Cruz, but if so it's free for 3 years and a nice perk.

I also had a '18 Elantra GT Sport for a bit -- it did very well too, certainly better than my current '14 Nissan Frontier.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts