Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, the SC is certainly not always more expensive. I made a post on MaverickTruckClub forum specifically comparing the cost of a vehicle that has cruise control, AWD, and can tow a 3K lb boat, and the SC SE comes out significantly less expensive with quite a few features that the Maverick did not, with virtually identical predicted fuel economy to the Ecoboost.

But for people that want a basic XLT FWD w/ just Ford 360 and spray in bed liner and don't need to tow more than 2K lbs, its hard to beat the frugality both on purchase price and fuel economy of a barebones Maverick hybrid.
Unless towing is your main concern, the Maverick hybrid wins on cost and practicality every time.

I like the SC and Maverick, but I will take the extra 15mpg over styling and higher towing, anyway of the week.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Unless towing is your main concern, the Maverick hybrid wins on cost and practicality every time.

I like the SC and Maverick, but I will take the extra 15mpg over styling and higher towing, anyway of the week.
15 MPG is a little bit generous depending on the climate where you live. If you live in colder regions that hybrid is going to get worse economy than the 40 that they are touting. And in the same vein, you'll likely be lucky to see an 11 MPG difference if you are driving mostly city, and more like 7 on highway.

This will likely narrow the more weight you put in the vehicle.

I calculated and the gas savings for me at about 20,000 miles a year mixed (but skewed highway), would only come up to like $500-550 (@ $3.5 a gallon), and I would have to give up all-wheel drive and Towing. For me that's not a Major Impact relative to the cost of the vehicle over 5 years. I doubt most people are going to drive much more than I do, so this should be near the high end.

So the only reason I would go with the hybrid at this point would be to save on money off the price of the vehicle (~4k more for awd and 2.0T), and currently at the the all-wheel-drive xlt FX4 Maverick I have on order in hot pepper red ( or Area 51 if I change my mind again, lol), and a Santa Cruz SEL premium or Limited.

I really think the Maverick front wheel drive hybrid speaks to people who would have bought a SUV previously, but I don't think it's much of a good general truck replacement, unless you only ever need the bed.

If the Mav FX4 have a little bit better Towing I'd be a little happier, but at least it and the SC 2.5T are rated to tow their own weight.

The Mav is actually grown on me a lot ever since I first saw it. The warranty and the generally different look of the Santa Cruz still has me in as my favorite, but it's going to have to impress me for me to want to spend for Grand more to get that Turbo over the XLT Mav. The SC has more features, but most of which I don't need or want, except for maybe the leather, Bose sound system, and BVM and those are in the Limited only 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
252 Posts
15 MPG is a little bit generous depending on the climate where you live. If you live in colder regions that hybrid is going to get worse economy than the 40 that they are touting. And in the same vein, you'll likely be lucky to see an 11 MPG difference if you are driving mostly city, and more like 7 on highway.
As a rule of thumb:

1) The more idle and stop-and-go there is, like in heavy traffic, the more extreme benefit you will see from the hybrid and the more extreme loss in fuel economy you will see from a turbo option (Maverick or SC).

2) The higher the altitude, the more efficient the turbo options will be.

3) The colder the climate, the less efficient the hybrid will be and the more efficient the turbos will be once its warmed up (more efficient intercooler performance).

4) The hotter the climate, the more efficient the hybrid will be and the less efficient the turbos will be.

5) The more humid the environment, all are slightly negatively effected but turbo the least.

tl;dr: If you're at sea level and doing a lot of stop and go or idling below the snow belt, the hybrid fuel economy benefit will be maximized. If you're at high altitude and doing a lot of highway cruising, the turbo fuel economy penalty will be minimized. Out of all the powertrain options on Maverick and SC, only the Maverick turbo recommends premium fuel and is also the only one that is direct-injection only, and so will eventually have carbon buildup issues to clean.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
Good point on the Ford turbo taking premium! Currently that's running about $6.60/gallon here ... and that's a hefty "lifetime of the vehicle" penalty over regular (at about $1.30/gallon more in my neck of the woods, currently). Chews up that EPA rating difference pretty quickly at highway figures, where over 90% of my daily driving is.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good point on the Ford turbo taking premium! Currently that's running about $6.60/gallon here ... and that's a hefty "lifetime of the vehicle" penalty over regular (at about $1.30/gallon more in my neck of the woods, currently). Chews up that EPA rating difference pretty quickly at highway figures, where over 90% of my daily driving is.
Yeah at this point, I just wish the Santa Cruz had the interior AC plug (and that AC plugs were rated higher wattage like the Mav). I don't have much issue paying a premium for the SC, but I don't want to be missing functional features that I would actually use. I don't care about a lot of the lane keeping smart crap (I feel its just a crutch until its completely autonomous), and would be far more inclined to bite if the BVM and the Adaptive Cruise (this feels more functional for general driving) came on the SEL Premium, or the Limited didn't sacrifice wireless AA & ACP for Hyundai Nav, which I could give a crap about. Also pissed the black chrome grill is trim specific, since it is pretty make or break for me. It can be bought aftermarket, but then the difference between Limited and SEL Prem is 3k, I want to add Leather: 1.5k, so now its just a bit over 1k difference, but I lose some things, I am forced into the bigger wheels, etc. Feels bittersweet.

I am currently just disappointed at some of the compromises made on the SC between trims, versus it just being a step, up, up, up.

I hope driving one reignites my interest. I am getting pretty impatient.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Jebus... Premium is $2.82 today at the Costco by our house: Costco - 17520 Southwest Fwy - Sugar Land, TX - GasBuddy.com

Time to kick out Trudeau! Y'all have way too much domestic oil supply for that to be reasonable.

Edit: Oh, wait, that's cannuckbucks or canadough or whatever your currency is. What's that in normal money? /s :p

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am currently just disappointed at some of the compromises made on the SC between trims, versus it just being a step, up, up, up.
Reminds me of how Honda did everything in the 80s and 90s (and assume still does). Want a sunroof? Gotta get the EX model and take a ton of other stuff you don't care about. The domestic auto makers (Ford, Dodge, GM) are way more flexible with customization, especially on trucks where you can mix and match until your head explodes.

The Activity Package appears to be an attempt to correct this problem by giving you the goodies from the Premium trim but without the price penalty of the turbo and DCT.

canadough
:ROFLMAO: that South Park episode was an instant classic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jebus... Premium is $2.82 today at the Costco by our house: Costco - 17520 Southwest Fwy - Sugar Land, TX - GasBuddy.com

Time to kick out Trudeau! Y'all have way too much domestic oil supply for that to be reasonable.

Edit: Oh, wait, that's cannuckbucks or canadough or whatever your currency is. What's that in normal money? /s :p
Getting OT, here, but I think most of it is tar sands, isn't it? It's more expensive and time consuming to refine, not to mention the process is much less environmentally friendly (water consumption and toxic by-products).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Doesn't matter who's in power, our gas has ALWAYS been ridiculous by comparison. Although Trudeau certainly hasn't helped with his freakin' Carbon Tax which does literally nothing to stop people from buying gas and driving cars - especially in "remote" (aka not the GTA) areas that have zero form of public transportation as an alternative. I can't figure out how gas prices are what they are right now, honestly. The loonie has been hovering over 80 cents all year and oil is cheap (relatively anyway) - but we're paying more for gas than when oil was over $140 a barrel and our dollar was in the 60s. Last time they blamed high oil and a low dollar. Now we have low oil and a reasonably high dollar. (Even if not that glorious stretch where our buck was worth more than yours!!) It's all a scam. I wish they'd just outright say, "We're greedy and you're going to pay it. Profit, profit, profit!" I could respect that, even if I didn't like it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Getting OT, here, but I think most of it is tar sands, isn't it? It's more expensive and time consuming to refine, not to mention the process is much less environmentally friendly (water consumption and toxic by-products).
True, OK after this I'll shaddap, but I know Canada exports almost all of its oil cheaply (hence the bigol pipeline idea since its more efficient than all the tankers); quick google-fu says out of 3.8mb/d, 2.9mb/d goes elsewhere, one of the top 5 oil exporters in the world.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, ship it all out, don't refine much here, then pay extra to import it again. We have a great system here. Like Ontario Hydro paying wind and solar generators upwards of 80 cents/kWh for power, selling it back to customers at less than a quarter of the price, then hiking rates because they're losing money - while sitting on lots of cheap hydro generation and selling the excess to other provinces/states for less than they charge the people living here! But the execs keep getting big bonuses, that's the important part. LOL

·
Registered
250 Posts
Perhaps there are some national & provincial taxes involved in those gas prices too, eh?

Reactions: Walking Black Bear

·
Registered
TBD
41 Posts
I'm no longer teetering. I ordered a Maverick hybrid today.

Still, I honestly can't wait to get a look at the Santa Cruz when it starts popping up in my area (central Ohio, U.S.).
Congratulations!!! It would be perfect for me if it could tow. I'll always be a bit envious when I see one on the road. I can't wait to check them out after they hit dealer lots.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Congratulations!!! It would be perfect for me if it could tow. I'll always be a bit envious when I see one on the road. I can't wait to check them out after they hit dealer lots.
Huh?? it tows 2000lbs in Hybrid form ....4000lbs with the turbo

·
Registered
106 Posts
Which sucks, since Hyundai has a quite a bit more towing capability on paper if they just offered the controller and 7 pin plug instead of relying on the Kia part. I imagine the DCT's transmission cooler was designed or modified from the get go to handle towing on all models, but we will see since DCTs previously have not been up to the task.
Someone posted the news that there is (coming later) the complete tow kit w/ 7 pin... not sure where that post went... I'm in for sure on the towing kit, but I need the 7 pin and then a third party braking module. From the install instructions on the 4 in part #, it would appear that a 3rd party braking controlled would plug in between the 7 pin harness and the under drivers door compartment. I'm curious how you will get an adjustable controller into the cab of the SC.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For Hyundai, the Santa Cruz is do-or-die in this previously untapped niche market of trucklettes. This may explain much of their hesitation to market for the past several years.

Meanwhile, even Ford, master of the pickup truck market, has not seemed to be scrambling to bring back the small truck. While testing the waters for retail customers and sniping some of them away from Hyundai, Ford plans to sell 110,000 Mavericks annually to their bread-and-butter target, fleet sales.

You can imagine all kinds of scenarios where the Maverick has been waiting in the wings for quite awhile, ready whenever some upstart wanted to take a bite of their apple.
The hesitation was while the 2022 Tucson platform was being finalized to support the SC model. Building a unique platform for just the SC would not have made financial sense. Both Hyundai and Kia are known for using a single platform and interier components for multiple models.

·
Registered
TBD
41 Posts
Huh?? it tows 2000lbs in Hybrid form ....4000lbs with the turbo
Oh I'm well aware, but I tow more than 2000 lbs so if I'm not getting the hybrid Maverick, I want the SC. Plus the extra 1000lbs of towing and 10 year/100k warranty is really nice to have. So if the DCT has issues towing, it'll be under warranty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah at this point, I just wish the Santa Cruz had the interior AC plug (and that AC plugs were rated higher wattage like the Mav). I don't have much issue paying a premium for the SC, but I don't want to be missing functional features that I would actually use. I don't care about a lot of the lane keeping smart crap (I feel its just a crutch until its completely autonomous), and would be far more inclined to bite if the BVM and the Adaptive Cruise (this feels more functional for general driving) came on the SEL Premium, or the Limited didn't sacrifice wireless AA & ACP for Hyundai Nav, which I could give a crap about. Also pissed the black chrome grill is trim specific, since it is pretty make or break for me. It can be bought aftermarket, but then the difference between Limited and SEL Prem is 3k, I want to add Leather: 1.5k, so now its just a bit over 1k difference, but I lose some things, I am forced into the bigger wheels, etc. Feels bittersweet.

I hope driving one reignites my interest. I am getting pretty impatient.
FYI: The bed has a 115V AC power outlet rated @ 180W. Any bigger and they'd need to add a bigger altenator.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts