Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just picked up my SEL Premium yesterday, and after driving around for a bit both yesterday and this morning, I've noticed that the temp gauge does not settle on the midpoint of the gauge, it's slightly on the Cold side, even after over 30 min of driving. I'll post a picture later today if I remember to take one, but I was curious if this is normal behavior or if this is just me.

I'm used to driving E46 BMWs....so I'm used to paying attention to the temp gauge, lol. I know temp gauges are usually buffered anyway, but not being in the center worries me. This kind of behavior makes me worried that my thermostat might already be sticking.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If it was stuck open the temp would likely go much lower. Better to be stuck open then stuck closed and running too hot.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
Depends on the vehicle. On our Equinox normal operating temp is a bit over 1/3, never seen it hit halfway. Our Journey sits around halfway. My old truck isn't really buffered and I can see exactly when the thermostat opens and closes.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
I tested mine in 110 F weather stop and go traffic
coolant temp is in that position you described
it must be normal then

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a picture for anyone else wondering. Seems like it must be pretty normal then for the SC. Weird that I've never seen this in any other vehicle I've owned (and I've owned quite a few)....but guess I won't worry too much about it.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

·
Registered
712 Posts
Are you sure that is displaying engine temp? At less than 1,000RPM that looks more like oil pressure to me. Just saying. 🤔

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a SEL Premium and it too stays just under half. I drive about 45 mins each way to work in temps over 100 outside. Haven’t noticed any over heating yet.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It is engine (water/coolant) temp for sure, look at the icon.
Oh! At the bottom of the tach. Yes, temp. I was looking at the blue bar bottom center. I guess that might be average MPG of 23.6 and the bar moves in realtime? I hate these digital flat screens! Sorry, but I do. No worries if you like them though, it's MY problem.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I guess that might be average MPG of 23.6 and the bar moves in realtime?
Correct.

And I love the digital dash in my C7. Its way more customizable with lots of data (oil temp, transmission temp, etc) in comparison the SC is bare bones with its party trick being the blind spot camera display.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts