Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A luxury pickup truck, and an electric pickup truck, has been on the mind of the public for a while now. Here is what both of those may look like together: a Tesla Model X pickup truck. There is no sign that Tesla is making this, but should they?

Tesla Model X Pickup Truck Looks Nifty

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would actually like to see this happen.

A couple professions that can use it are police and fire/rescue in warmer climates that patrol near beaches since the bed can have racks for easy access of what ever they'll need.

Bay Watch Tesla Truck... sure why not (lol)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The design here looks a little off but I could see it working. I don't think that it would be anywhere close to the top of the list of vehicles that Tesla wants to build though, and therefore its probably not going to happen ever or for a very long time. But its fun to think about.

·
Registered
729 Posts
yeah chances are it wont happen.

there's a small microscopic chance it could happen as a custom build, just don't depend on that happening!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually ,I am waiting for the the hybrid ,bi drive( fwd ,rear edrive awd smallish hauler (think 50s sedan size )

·
Registered
729 Posts
Might be some time to go before that happens. My guess is they target those that want a traditional small truck with a gas engine and go from their. Maybe 1 year after launch you'll see a hybrid.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's a cool concept but it's going to be packing a huge amount of batteries to be able to haul as much as a normal truck and on top of that is the range problem. Maybe one day once the batteries are more power dense but for now, no.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually you don thave to have that many batteries as a range extender ,the electric motors already have more torque then a gas or diesel engine,the truck concept needs to be redefined ,I'm not talking about something that can go 200 miles on batteries alone ,I would say a hybrid or plug in with 40 mile range would be real useful . The battery pack weight can be strategically located for optimum traction and no need for a transfer case ,plus the benefits of regen braking ,the front can be conventional fwd ,there is a lot of room with this concept ,the prime mover doesnt have to be that big with the electric motors providing more then ample starting torque .I cant foresee that many problems for this vehicle fulfilling the the real world needs of perhaps 85% of the consumers ,I see so many huge trucks around here that do nothing and most fall short of 20 mpg .

·
Registered
729 Posts
That 40 mile range point is true, already some cars come with similar mileage and its what equates to ideal city mileage where you almost never need to find a charging station if your commute and errands are simple enough.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the batteries were flat and placed lining the bed, seems to me that could work quite nicely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep the batteries could conceivably be in incorporated in the structure ,the electric boost would help this thing get "out of the hole " smartly ,and the ICE could run at best cruise. There is a lot of potential with this concept . Always keep in mind we are not asking for something to replace a class 5 truck (just the 85 percentile need )

·
Registered
729 Posts
It could even help with better controlling off roading giving more accurate power where needed but that's going to involve some tricky tech to analyze terrain. Just all a dream for us :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts