Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found another dealer in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that had a Limited, so the wife and I drove the 40 minutes over there to get a little more wheel time with the S C. The one they have is a white one (picture attached - sorry I cut the nose off, it was so sunny my phone display washed out).

• The ride and handling are better than I remember from the first - hurried - test drive a few weeks ago. Took bumps well, steering feel was very good (after turning off that annoying lane keeping thing), and overall road feel was excellent.
  • The cabin was also very quiet. Tire noise was almost non-existent, and other outside noises were well subdued.
  • Seats were comfortable and supportive.
  • The Nav was VERY quick to find and set new locations! I'd say it's 3 or more times as fast as my 2020 Kia, and that's a really welcome thing. The Kia leaves you watching the little circle going around while the computer thinks about it, while the S C Nav just nailed it. Nice.
  • The overall fit and finish was excellent, EXCEPT the tonneau would not roll open. No, it wasn't locked. It was just stuck somehow. But it wouldn't budge. (?)
  • The backseat area was fine with me behind myself, EXCEPT when getting in, bringing that left foot in was a challenge because of the shape of the bottom of the B-pillar. I had to really twist my foot to clear that obstacle.
  • Oddly, the instruments are affected by my polarized sunglasses. The left one (speedo) took on a greenish color, while the right one (tach) looked bluish. Not a biggie, just an artifact of the digital imaging, I guess.

The biggest rip, though, was that this dealership adds a "package" of extras on to the price of EVERY vehicle, and you can't get them not to do it when a new car comes in. It's mandatory. It consists of the usual wheel and tire insurance, paint protectant, window tint, etc. And it's $10,000 !!! Ten. Thousand. Dollars. Heck, a thousand bucks of it was window tint! (And I thought the rear windows came tinted from the factory.)

I told the salesperson nicely that because of those add-ons I will never do business with them, and I now understand why they are the only dealer around to have any S C's in stock. Most people aren't foolish enough to pay that extra money for the privilege of buying from them.

Interesting visit, but I'm still waiting for S C's to come in.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
411 Posts
Finally found another dealer in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that had a Limited, so the wife and I drove the 40 minutes over there to get a little more wheel time with the S C. The one they have is a white one (picture attached - sorry I cut the nose off, it was so sunny my phone display washed out).

• The ride and handling are better than I remember from the first - hurried - test drive a few weeks ago. Took bumps well, steering feel was very good (after turning off that annoying lane keeping thing), and overall road feel was excellent.
  • The cabin was also very quiet. Tire noise was almost non-existent, and other outside noises were well subdued.
  • Seats were comfortable and supportive.
  • The Nav was VERY quick to find and set new locations! I'd say it's 3 or more times as fast as my 2020 Kia, and that's a really welcome thing. The Kia leaves you watching the little circle going around while the computer thinks about it, while the S C Nav just nailed it. Nice.
  • The overall fit and finish was excellent, EXCEPT the tonneau would not roll open. No, it wasn't locked. It was just stuck somehow. But it wouldn't budge. (?)
  • The backseat area was fine with me behind myself, EXCEPT when getting in, bringing that left foot in was a challenge because of the shape of the bottom of the B-pillar. I had to really twist my foot to clear that obstacle.
  • Oddly, the instruments are affected by my polarized sunglasses. The left one (speedo) took on a greenish color, while the right one (tach) looked bluish. Not a biggie, just an artifact of the digital imaging, I guess.

The biggest rip, though, was that this dealership adds a "package" of extras on to the price of EVERY vehicle, and you can't get them not to do it when a new car comes in. It's mandatory. It consists of the usual wheel and tire insurance, paint protectant, window tint, etc. And it's $10,000 !!! Ten. Thousand. Dollars. Heck, a thousand bucks of it was window tint! (And I thought the rear windows came tinted from the factory.)

I told the salesperson nicely that because of those add-ons I will never do business with them, and I now understand why they are the only dealer around to have any S C's in stock. Most people aren't foolish enough to pay that extra money for the privilege of buying from them.

Interesting visit, but I'm still waiting for S C's to come in.
Thanks for posting, good info the have.. I hear you about the sun glasses, polarized thingy going on.. I found switching to the yellow driving glasses did the trick... otherwise my Maui Jims made all the screens invisible. :cool:

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz LTD AWD Hampton Gray
55 Posts
I want to get my limited windows tinted, but currently they have to had cut the material instead of by machine. Probably would be okay.
I did my two sides at 20% and my windshield at 50%, and our tint guy did it right in our detail department! Should be easy enough!

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
507 Posts
"The backseat area was fine with me behind myself, EXCEPT when getting in, bringing that left foot in was a challenge because of the shape of the bottom of the B-pillar. I had to really twist my foot to clear that obstacle."

I completely agree with you concerning the second row seating obstacle. Thank you, @Mike_TX for the comprehensive review.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I failed to comment on one aspect of the driving experience, what some would call fun to drive factor.

So in that respect, I'll add that the throttle tip-in is nice and lively, pulling you away from stoplights briskly, without your having to "push" it. That alone makes it feel light and ready to go, also helping contribute to the feeling that it's a car and not a truck.

Add to that light-ish steering, and you have a vehicle that feels like it's responsive and part of you. I did a U-turn on a divided 4-lane, cutting across 2 lanes, and while it came close to the far curb, it completed the maneuver fine.

The icing on the cake is the electronics and other driving aids that make driving easier.

The only negative I found is the lane keeping, which makes the steering wheel wriggle in your hands as it tries to keep you between the lines. That's something I turn off immediately.

Otherwise, a breeze to drive.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,230 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you on lane keep assist for the most part. Where I find it handy is if I need to take my hands off the wheel for a second, like to clip on my sunglasses (I'm not getting into the world of bi-focal prescription sunglasses, thanks. I'm good with the magnetic clips!) or something. Perfect for that stuff. But at least Hyundai's system in the SC will actually steer you around curves and stuff. Man, it's weak sauce in the Chevy!! For starters, it's one of those ping-pong systems that just bounces you between the lines if the road is straight. The SC will take a darn near 90 degree turn with only a yellow line on its own! Blew me away. I may actually leave it on some days. Between it and adaptive cruise ... semi-autonomous almost seems real.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
199 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you on lane keep assist for the most part. Where I find it handy is if I need to take my hands off the wheel for a second, like to clip on my sunglasses (I'm not getting into the world of bi-focal prescription sunglasses, thanks. I'm good with the magnetic clips!) or something. Perfect for that stuff. But at least Hyundai's system in the SC will actually steer you around curves and stuff. Man, it's weak sauce in the Chevy!! For starters, it's one of those ping-pong systems that just bounces you between the lines if the road is straight. The SC will take a darn near 90 degree turn with only a yellow line on its own! Blew me away. I may actually leave it on some days. Between it and adaptive cruise ... semi-autonomous almost seems real.
I have progressive lenses with transitional coating, so, in theory, they darken when exposed to sunlight. I say "in theory" because there's some sort of UV coating on windshields and car windows that keeps them from transitioning to dark mode in the car. So I have a pair of clip-on sunglasses to wear when driving.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Cops tend not to care, but you'd have to slip the state inspection guy something every time unfortunately. That's the hard part to get around.
My old beater car had after-market tint on it for about 20 years, but the inspection finally flunked it last year because it was just a whisker too dark. Brought it home, washed the windows with soap and water -- it passed!

Reactions: JASmith

·
Registered
809 Posts
My old beater car had after-market tint on it for about 20 years, but the inspection finally flunked it last year because it was just a whisker too dark. Brought it home, washed the windows with soap and water -- it passed!
My trick was to roll the windows down and pull the fuse so you couldn't roll them back up, told him to press and hold it down up and it should work but then it just lowers itself again... yeah, he didn't buy it and flunked it for not being able to check the window tint, lol! They seem to be sticklers here, which is ironic because about half of Houston has fake paper plates on beaters that clearly would never pass inspection and nobody seems to care. Even cops don't seem to care as long as you do courteous thing and when pulled over just lower all the windows, turn overhead light on, and keep hands on steering wheel so they can chill. And I've seen some cop cars that have illegal tint for sure with super dark tint on their front sides, so apparently law doesn't apply to them.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
744 Posts
so apparently law doesn't apply to them.
lol, yeah, marked cop cars license plates all say exempt
I've also seen TX regular license plates (no exempt) on a super tinted black Chevy Suburban with multiple antenna sticking out on the roof. In the upper edge of the windshield and rear window one can vaguely see what possibly be the police lights behind. Sometimes if lighting is good I could see that the driver's not in a police uniform, they are in plain clothes. It's always a mystery to me who they are because those windows are purely black all around and possibly windshield is tinted too

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've also seen TX regular license plates (no exempt) on a super tinted black Chevy Suburban with multiple antenna sticking out on the roof. In the upper edge of the windshield and rear window one can vaguely see what possibly be the police lights behind. Sometimes if lighting is good I could see that the driver's not in a police uniform, they are in plain clothes. It's always a mystery to me who they are because those windows are purely black all around and possibly windshield is tinted too
U.S. Marshal Service

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
199 Posts
If you're in the D/FW area, they could be Secret Service, due to the presence/residence of a former President in the area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts