Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were able to test drive a SEL AWD Santa Cruz yesterday. I was amazed at how compact it was and how good the Blue Stone color looks in person. My wife was really on the fence before going to the lot for a test drive. She actually flipped her opinion on it once we saw it on the lot. Her only drawback was that as a passenger she thought it would give her motion sickness. It never happens at all in a car for her. I road passenger for bit and thought it rode pretty smooth. Very limited body roll. Is this something she would get used to or should I look elsewhere? I am really smitten with this vehicle.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The asking of the question is, itself, the answer.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
272 Posts
We were able to test drive a SEL AWD Santa Cruz yesterday. I was amazed at how compact it was and how good the Blue Stone color looks in person. My wife was really on the fence before going to the lot for a test drive. She actually flipped her opinion on it once we saw it on the lot. Her only drawback was that as a passenger she thought it would give her motion sickness. It never happens at all in a car for her. I road passenger for bit and thought it rode pretty smooth. Very limited body roll. Is this something she would get used to or should I look elsewhere? I am really smitten with this vehicle.
Look elsewhere. Unfortunately you found the only vehicle model that makes your wife swimmy headed and she's the only person yet to experience that in the Santa Cruz. What are the odds?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look elsewhere. Unfortunately you found the only vehicle model that makes your wife swimmy headed and she's the only person yet to experience that in the Santa Cruz. What are the odds?
Yes, that's why I wanted to ask the question. If anyone else had experienced this or if it is something she would just get used to because she is only ever really ridden in a car before? I guess I could just have her drive if she gets a bit woozy...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I would test drive a few other CUVs and mid-size BOF trucks as a comparison because every review praises the ride characteristics of the SC. I've seen a few sickness complaints about the Ranger because the rear end is very stiff thus depending on the road it can bounce and buck around when unloaded.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing someone told me to consider is that the suspension breaks in over time and the ride may feel a bit different after the break in period. I also have no clue how much air they had in the tires. Etc. We took it down some backroads from the dealer so it was a lot of twists and turns.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alright I guess I will say it

She either doesn't like the car and motion sickness is her way of saying so, or you simply drove a little bit too spiritedly on those windy roads.

I don't see what would make this truck give you more motion sickness than any other car or cross over, it's meant to drive more like them than a truck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The new car smell can also add to “motion sickness” Also doing a lot of things in the cabin, reading or playing on her phone could exasperate the feeling of motion sickness. I would try another test drive if you both love the Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did notice on my new SC that at first, especially in stop and go/drive thru traffic, engaging the tranny could be abrupt or causing some minor lurching... I've already noticed it's calming down (I'm at about 1000 KMS so far) so it may also be some of that, perhaps? And Kio is right, the smell can throw some people (but I love the smell of new car!).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a happy conclusion to this story. We took a second test drive in a different Santa Cruz SEL AWD and my wife ended up loving it. There was no car sickness at all. I am chalking the first test drive up to nerves and the new car smell. We were able to get it for MSRP and the only thing she was slightly reluctant on was the color (Blue Stone).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts