Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

First hints of disappointment and negative Mav feedback in Alex’s comments. Turns out a cheap vehicle is lacking many expected and desired features. Using a physical key? No cruise control? This should be no surprise yet people are still miffed. Suddenly the slightly more expensive SC starts looking better.

To me this is the biggest problem with the Mav - you can load it up to $38k but your still stuck with a $20k interior. Some people like simple and basic… but in the end it just comes off as cheap.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

First hints of disappointment and negative Mav feedback in Alex’s comments. Turns out a cheap vehicle is lacking many expected and desired features. Using a physical key? No cruise control? This should be no surprise yet people are still miffed. Suddenly the slightly more expensive SC starts looking better.

To me this is the biggest problem with the Mav - you can load it up to $38k but your still stuck with a $20k interior. Some people like simple and basic… but in the end it just comes off as cheap.
All the top comments are pretty positive about having a truly barebones model at a low price with the exception of:
1) Manual mirrors
2) No cruise control

1 is not actually a big issue, as you can add the Ford 360 system very inexpensively at around $500 which adds power mirrors, blind spot, cross traffic alert, full size spare, lane keeping system.

2 is a big problem, but forum has shown there are aftermarket options.

Luckily, they also allow adding a LOT a la carte cheaply for the XL. With the SC, you have only one tonneau option, and its not offered with the lower two packages. With the Maverick, they have a ton of options, can also get spray in bedliner, bed mat, and if you do want a trailer its prewired with a 4-pin connector for only $100 straight from the factory.

I do agree that Maverick builds that exceed $30K don't make sense IMO.

I made a little spreadsheet to compare some decent ~$30K builds compared to SC:
Font Material property Number Parallel Pattern

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Circle

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
When your talking about such a stripped down version the price point makes a used vehicle seem more attractive - at least to me. You get a better equipped vehicle if your willing to not have that new car smell. One big reason to get a newer vehicle is the improvements in tech and safety, if such features aren’t included then the value proposition drops.

However the base Maverick’s ace-in-the-hole is hybrid MPG since you can’t get that in any cheap truck. That alone is driving many of these base unit sales. Your talking eco-box MPG in a 4 door mini hauler.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When your talking about such a stripped down version the price point makes a used vehicle seem more attractive - at least to me
Except:
1) Used car prices suck
2) There have been so many flood events on our area recently, flood damage vehicles are rarely reported they just clean them and repair em and resell the junk
3) I watch youtube and see how many people use their vehicles

Almost no one maintains their vehicles as well as I do, so going used I usually only like to get ones that are maybe a year old where someone had buyer's remorse or whatever, but no maintenance was required. On those, it seems you pay as much or more than ordering a new one and waiting to get it. Like people were ordering their Mavericks for 4% under invoice no extra fees, not sure if any dealer matched that for the SC launch.

And I mean technically the used argument can apply to expensive vehicles too, as we noticed nothing seems to drop in value faster than a used fully loaded Mercedes, lol!

Mavs and SCs are also unique, so can't really find anything just like them used for a couple years anyway.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
1) Used car prices suck
Not if your selling one :D

And I mean technically the used argument can apply to expensive vehicles too, as we noticed nothing seems to drop in value faster than a used fully loaded Mercedes, lol!
Luxury vehicle always get hit with massive depreciation making them bargains in the used market. Such vehicles are bought because they are "nice" not because they are needed. Anyone looking to get a really nice car would not settle for something used so the bottom tends to fall out of such cars. Especially used German vehicles outside their warranty period since all those fancy do-dads are super expensive to fix.

Now personally I wouldn't buy a base version of any vehicle because it just leads to regrets later when you realize that you would have / could have had this or that feature.

Of course if you don't need a feature or option (like a sunroof) then it makes sense to not spend the money on it. Many options never pay off in the long term, IE: at trade in time the extra $ spent does return equal value.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Straight Pipes already released their review, so much for the 5th embargo:
They make comparisons mostly to the Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figured it would be slower.
Its a traditional automatic, so gains the advantage of a brake boost launch, and its reasonably light at ~3.7Klbs for the AWD version. The FWD one with a spare and jack removed (what I'd probably do, haven't been forced to use a spare in my life) might be even quicker with decent tires, since without that it'd probably be around ~3.5Klbs.

Weight can be a big factor, we noticed that with our old turbo Fiat 500 where we pulled the rear seats and had the exhaust replaced with a simple light straight pipe bringing it down to ~2.4Klbs, with which a chip bumping up power a little made it really rip.

For highway passing, of course absolute power and aerodynamics matter more, so Mav wouldn't seem quite as quick in that scenario, but should still be plenty quick for most.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
Yeah, I'm not worried about racing off the line - where the SC comes alive is in passing at highway speeds. Holy snap it still surprises me how quickly it gets up to "HOW fast am I going??" when I pull around someone.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Embargo over, have a real driving test with Sofyan from Redline Reviews. The hybrid is surprisingly quick:

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
$20K truck... Base trim... Blah-blah-blah...
Same old Ford Maverick BS marketing review of a TOP-OF-THE-LINE LARIAT trim features while mentioning low base price. What is this Lariat's price, $40K+ no doubt... Surprised he didn't say the $20K truck tows 4,000 pounds all in one sentence, when Ford isn't even offering the towing package on the Hybrid model anymore at all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
250HP 2.0T!
40 MPG hybrid!
Starting under 20K!

Well two of those are correct... but combining all three together is misleading.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$20K truck... Base trim... Blah-blah-blah...
Same old Ford Maverick BS marketing review of a TOP-OF-THE-LINE LARIAT trim features while mentioning low base price. What is this Lariat's price, $40K+ no doubt... Surprised he didn't say the $20K truck tows 4,000 pounds all in one sentence, when Ford isn't even offering the towing package on the Hybrid model anymore at all. :rolleyes:
LOL, I missed that part. But he did show a regular XLT too and not just a first edition. I completely disagree with him on the color choices for the Lariat, but that's purely subjective no right or wrong answer. The top of the line doesn't interest me, however, I am keen on checking out a non-luxury package XLT or a XL with the hybrid. Cheap plastics are fine if the vehicle is also cheap, and even the XL I can get with blind spot, cross traffic, and lane keep which is nice. The hybrid powertrain I'm also pleased with, 7.5s/60mph is respectable.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
Don't forget that you get that 40mpg with AWD while towing 4,000lbs ... right? Right?? No? Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts