Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: don’t watch. Title is inaccurate; they talk about other BS for most of the video and don’t actually review the off-roading of the SC (that is coming in another video apparently).

Video is set to premiere in 50 minutes:

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,133 Posts
Good to hear the DCT did NOT overheat on their off-road testing. That was really one of the big questions everyone had.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
I don't pay much attention to this pair. I've heard them say so many things that are incorrect or clearly opinion, yet stated as fact. I guess this is what they do for a living and somehow get paid for it. Lots of people seem to think TFT is great, but IMHO they are very mediocre at best. My god, who is going to sit through a 37+ minute video?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wow! That was a wasted half-hour! If you're watching this in hopes of learning something new or interesting about the Santa Cruz, don't bother. Over half the time was spent discussing other cars and trucks. Then, they spent a lot of time talking about how poor the SC was for off-road and rock-crawling. There was a long discussion of how small the SC's bed was, with lots of snide 'humor.' I gave up after 35 mins.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My apologies. The title was very miss-leading. That is not what I was expecting. I do think there was some good nuggets in there but not much.
  • No over heating on the DCT off-roading
  • AWD did not perform well in slip test
  • The integrated tonneau cover really decreases the usability of the bed
  • Interior is very upscale
  • Summary: SC is a really nice cross-over with a small bed
  • Maverick: more utilitarian with cheaper pricing.

In all honesty I would have to agree with their assessments.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It was actually the first of their videos I ever gave a thumbs down to. NOBODY is buying a Santa Cruz to go hard core rock crawling. If they are, I have no pity for them. It's the main reason Hyundai is being very careful about NOT calling it a truck.

Yes, it is exactly a "lifestyle" truck. That's literally it's point. It's a road warrior, not an off-road warrior.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It was actually the first of their videos I ever gave a thumbs down to. NOBODY is buying a Santa Cruz to go hard core rock crawling. If they are, I have no pity for them. It's the main reason Hyundai is being very careful about NOT calling it a truck.

Yes, it is exactly a "lifestyle" truck. That's literally it's point. It's a road warrior, not an off-road warrior.
It should get you to the trailhead for the hiking trail, mt bike trail, dirt bike trail, or atv trail. Not take you down the trail.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, sorry folks. Updated my original post to warn other folks who may come across this thread.

With that said; I think y’all giving them too much of a hard time. Goldmine hill is nothing near rock-crawling.Think they specifically said the SC struggled with soft-roading which may be needed to get to some trailheads.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
They also attributed some of the issues to the tires. Given that the SC is equipped with pure highway tires that aren't the slightest bit terrain rated/intended ... yeah, off-road traction is going to suck. You know that before you start. If you wouldn't expect the average crossover to tackle what you're looking at, you shouldn't expect it of the SC either. It's just not what it's built for.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They also attributed some of the issues to the tires. Given that the SC is equipped with pure highway tires that aren't the slightest bit terrain rated/intended ... yeah, off-road traction is going to suck. You know that before you start. If you wouldn't expect the average crossover to tackle what you're looking at, you shouldn't expect it of the SC either. It's just not what it's built for.
I get what your saying. But I would say that I would expect the SC to slightly out perform the Tucson. The Tucson is fairly capable in its own right. Now if the SC is less than capable than the Tucson, that's no bueno.

If Hyundai doesn't expect the SC to out perform the average crossover then why are they making a steel skid-plate accessory? Seems to be un-necessary if its meant to be on-par with crossovers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a video of the Sorrento with this transmission. I’ll try to dig it up :
:
: Honestly if your going off-road you should get the eight speed auto.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It should get you to the trailhead for the hiking trail, mt bike trail, dirt bike trail, or atv trail. Not take you down the trail.
Right. And that's the whole idea. It's like on another forum someone posted "That's crazy, my F250 could squash it."
Well yes. And a tri-axle dump would squash your F250. So?
Each vehicle has a purpose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, now I don't feel bad at all about skipping quickly through the video yesterday and never bothering turning on the sound because there was no actual video of off-roading.

It's hugely apparent the 'reviewosphere' is struggling to pigeon hole the Santa Cruz. Albnc74's comment nailed it perfectly. Nothing wrong with toying with ideas of putting small lift kits, hybrid road/all terrain tires, and custom this and that on a new buy - but ultimately those things are going to be functional "within reason" and mostly road flexing on a Santa Cruz and not for extreme duty use. Some trailheads you get to on a rutted up dirt road and if you're going to track mud on the driveway when you get home you might as well look good doing it.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
TFL also says if you are looking to do some serious off-road adventures, a transfer case with low-range gearing is something you should make sure your vehicle has. Sure, the auto with the torque converter would work better than the DCT. But even then, with the power of the N/A motor, stock gearing, and tire size, you are looking at a very limited capability SC.

The SC is geared towards excellent on-road dynamics. With some ability to run dirt roads. But it's not going to be a hardcore off-roader. Anyone buying one with those expectations is going to be left pretty upset. Hyundai probably figures the towing ability is more important to the SC than its off-road prowess. Compromises are made to appeal to the masses in an attempt to sell as many vehicles as they can. Hyundai is coming around to vehicles that handle well. But I don't see them too worried about rock crawling any time soon. Maybe one day in the not too far off future. Maybe when some of us are ready to trade in our SC for the newest off-road variant. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's almost as if Hyundai is building vehicles that meet customers' needs and demands instead of the demands of a few rock crawling "must go to the EXTREMES" enthusiast YouTubers 🙄

I love the vehicle because it drives almost as good as my GTI did on the road, while still being a usable tool when needed. I'd rather NOT spend a majority of my time in a cramped and archaic feeling Taco or oversized and impossible to park F150.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
You guys think slapping a turbo on the N/A setup would be more ideal?
NO! The two engines have different compression ratios. IIRC the turbo's are 10:1. The N/A setup is higher, but don't recall exactly what it is. The factory turbo setup is done right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NO! The two engines have different compression ratios. IIRC the turbo's are 10:1. The N/A setup is higher, but don't recall exactly what it is. The factory turbo setup is done right.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm really digging this SAV been keeping an eye on it since it was first announced like 6 years ago XD trying to debate between this or the new Outlander. Leaning towards this though lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts