Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impressive with 900lbs in the bed going up 30deg incline, crawling in first gear at 5mph
The Wet DCT didn’t overheat. 🥶
It did MUCH better than the Maverick, but we have to remember the Maverick was a FWD hybrid, not a FX4 Ecoboost. Its no surprise that with 20mm wider tires and AWD that the SC would do much better.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It did MUCH better than the Maverick, but we have to remember the Maverick was a FWD hybrid, not a FX4 Ecoboost. Its no surprise that with 20mm wider tires and AWD that the SC would do much better.
Oh ya, I’m sure the AWD Maverick will do fine.
What was impressive is that wet DCT didn’t overheat under the noted conditions.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Maybe this will stop "the bed is too small and it can't do real truck work" crowd... checks the YT comment sections - nope :rolleyes: and sadly this video will only be remembered for the idiot closing the tailgate on the bikes wheel which knocked the tailgate off.

It performed the hauling task really well considering the hill and load. But for the squat test they should have measured after driving a short distance, they didn't give the shocks a chance to level out. If Hyundai was smart they would have social media director that reviews these videos and explains things - maybe they can hire me :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can bet the internet will make a BIG deal about the tailgate coming off (because of the way these guys were trying to stuff nice charity gifts in the back)... I haven't looked in the book yet but I'm sure the tailgate is designed to come off… From that point on the SC impressed them... I can't wait for the towing match-up. Should be good with the SC on top against the equivalent Ford.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Helmet

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can bet the internet will make a BIG deal about the tailgate coming off (because of the way these guys were trying to stuff nice charity gifts in the back)... I haven't looked in the book yet but I'm sure the tailgate is designed to come off… From that point on the SC impressed them... I can't wait for the towing match-up. Should be good with the SC on top against the equivalent Ford.

View attachment 4820
Yeah, tailgates are always meant to be able to be taken off, as sometimes you don't want to put the ramp on the tailgate or need the fork lift to get closer, although I'm not sure if the bed is wide enough for a standard palate?

I'm glad they said they are going to request another without a tonneau cover, as that will probably mean a SEL, or Hyundai will just ignore them because it seems they don't want to give ANYONE a non-turbo test vehicle. That extra foot of distance should make quite a difference. The Maverick will still probably win though because of how squared off the back is whereas the SC has those trusses or whatever they are called that I'm not sure if they get in the way or not for the log haul.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, tailgates are always meant to be able to be taken off, as sometimes you don't want to put the ramp on the tailgate or need the fork lift to get closer, although I'm not sure if the bed is wide enough for a standard palate?

I'm glad they said they are going to request another without a tonneau cover, as that will probably mean a SEL, or Hyundai will just ignore them because it seems they don't want to give ANYONE a non-turbo test vehicle. That extra foot of distance should make quite a difference. The Maverick will still probably win though because of how squared off the back is whereas the SC has those trusses or whatever they are called that I'm not sure if they get in the way or not for the log haul.
I have a huge warehouse w/ forklift and 100's of pallets. They are 48x40. The side you would stab with a forklift being 40. What I don't know is the width of SC between the wheels (as I sit at this railroad crossing way too long).

In fact, I can't believe Im talking about pallets with Siri with someone, who knows where, while waiting for a train. Amazing times we live in 😂😂

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I haven't looked in the book yet but I'm sure the tailgate is designed to come off
It is... and that TFL guy just happened upon the exact angle and even direction required to remove it.

The Maverick will still probably win though because of how squared off the back is whereas the SC has those trusses or whatever they are called that I'm not sure if they get in the way or not for the log haul.
I bet your right - yet I don't see how the rear trusses effect the bed's ability to hold objects however I've seen this comment come up before around how "useless" the SC bed is compared to the Mav. Its a style choice and might even be structural as the original Ridgeline had a similar element. The main downside I see is how that piece limits visibility by creating a massive C pillar.

The tonneau cover is either the greatest thing in the world or space stealing pain depending on what you are putting back there. I've owned a Roll-N-Lock before with a short bed (Ranger Splash) and it never interfered with my hauling tasks. However as shown in the video that loss of space can be a problem unless you have the bed extender and drive with the tailgate down. The Rivian bed is only 54" long a mere 2" longer then the SC so its too bad they don't have one as a comparison.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
This is the second review I've seen where they called it a "plastic bed". It's not a plastic bed, it's a steel bed with a plastic cover (except where the brunk sits).
Don't let facts get in the way of a good reason why the Mav is a better "truck".

This is just another Hyundai marketing fubar, they should have referenced having a built-in bed liner vs having a composite bed. Words matter when people only read bullet points.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't let facts get in the way of a good reason why the Mav is a better "truck".

This is just another Hyundai marketing fubar, they should have referenced having a built-in bed liner vs having a composite bed. Words matter when people only read bullet points.
I agree. So far Hyundai has completely blown the marketing of the SC and missed lots of opportunities.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
421 Posts
Impressive with 900lbs in the bed going up 30deg incline, crawling in first gear at 5mph
The Wet DCT didn’t overheat. 🥶
First I'm tired of seeing biased reviews where they say the Maverick out-performs the SC while providing no evidence to support the claim.

Secondly, it's great to see the SC aced this so-called ranch test without breaking a sweat.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I saw these same guys doing a Maverick ranch test a week or so ago and the test consisted of the Mav hauling a load of wood downhill. Did I miss them testing the Mav hauling a considerable load up hill?

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
943 Posts
First I'm tired of seeing biased reviews where they say the Maverick out-performs the SC while providing no evidence to support the claim.

Secondly, it's great to see the SC aced this so-called ranch test without breaking a sweat.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I saw these same guys doing a Maverick ranch test a week or so ago and the test consisted of the Mav hauling a load of wood downhill. Did I miss them testing the Mav hauling a considerable load up hill?
Oh it hauled a considerable bed of air, and their butts squeaked when it hit a bit of an incline

1 - 17 of 17 Posts