1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
IKE Gauntlet - SC vs Maverick + Ridgeline
4000lbs max tow ( Mav. Limit)
They got the premium fuel wrong on SC - 281hp and 311 lbs is using regular fuel
They should have measured suspension squat after the tow.
6.7 mpg going up the mountain vs 6.5 mpg for the Maverick

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Put my comments here: TFL - We MAX OUT The Maverick, Santa Cruz &amp...

Quick review: the SC wins... expect when going downhill.

And yes they should have measured the squat after driving around a bit.
My take-away:

Pulling power : SC > Ridgeline > Mav

Engine Braking : Ridgeline > Mav > SC

Fuel Efficiency : SC > Ridgeline > Mav

Ride Comfort : SC = Ridgeline > Mav

Towing capacity : SC = Ridgeline > Mav

*special note: Although it can only tow 2K lbs, the Hybrid Mav was good on fuel efficiency and engine braking while towing and "adequate" for pull power.

They chose the SC and Mav respectively, both over the Ridgeline which is not bad as the Ridgeline is also a very capable vehicle.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They quickly glanced over the engine temperature
apparently it was around 45F out side temp. I wonder what it would have been like at 80F, if it was nearly over heating at 45
Speedometer Gauge Motor vehicle Odometer Measuring instrument

·
Registered
Hampton gray SEL Premium
44 Posts
Asking as someone who only kind of knows cars, what's the significance of fewer brake applications going downhill? Doesn't fewer brake applications just mean more engine braking and more stress on the transmission? I sometimes downshift my manual to slow down, but was always told it's a tradeoff with the brakes.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
421 Posts
Asking as someone who only kind of knows cars, what's the significance of fewer brake applications going downhill? Doesn't fewer brake applications just mean more engine braking and more stress on the transmission? I sometimes downshift my manual to slow down, but was always told it's a tradeoff with the brakes.
The concern is that more braking applications heats up the brakes more. Overheated brakes can cause braking failure. In a case where the brakes are in fact going away you can feel them progressively get worse. They noted in the video they could not detect any brake fade.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
^^^ what he said. On a long down hill section the ideal thing is to use engine braking. However the SC's efficient DCT transmission combined with a small engine doesn't provide enough drag to control the heavy load, this forces the driver to use the wheel brakes too much which in turn overheats them.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Engine braking shouldn't hurt the engine, there's no real stress on it. In a manual, lots of engine braking usually means more clutch applications if you do it at every stop, in which case you trade increased clutch wear for reduced brake wear.

But when you're just putting it in a low gear and leaving it there and letting it compression brake, its no issue, and it saves your brakes from overheating.

That said, I live in Texas, the biggest incline I'm going to see is a highway overpass. 😆

·
Registered
Hampton gray SEL Premium
44 Posts
Engine braking shouldn't hurt the engine, there's no real stress on it. In a manual, lots of engine braking usually means more clutch applications if you do it at every stop, in which case you trade increased clutch wear for reduced brake wear.

But when you're just putting it in a low gear and leaving it there and letting it compression brake, its no issue, and it saves your brakes from overheating.

That said, I live in Texas, the biggest incline I'm going to see is a highway overpass. 😆
Gotcha. It's the manual clutch which would be wearing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On the TFL challenge SC vs Mav…if your going to compare the two, they should be outfitted equally. Both should have off-road tires equipped. Otherwise, to me, it’s a bogus challenge. 😎

1 - 17 of 17 Posts