Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
261 - 280 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Again, great video and will get those that tow thinking about actual safe towing practices. (y)
Yep... all those disclaimers are why I recommended people get no where near the limit. 5k is absolute max... and this number is like your engine's red-line / rev-limit - sure you can run it up there, but you can't expect it to last very long under that kind of stress. Same for towing. You could tow 5k (by the book) but not for very long or at high speeds or when dealing with hills, etc. The more towing you do the more margin you need. I credit using about 40% of my Dakota's capacity for the main reason its managed 20 years / 120k miles towing my boat with zero engine or transmission problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just an FYI for those looking for hitches.

On October 15, I ordered the Curt hitch from etrailer # C23WR. At the time, I was expecting to wait until Christmas to receive it. I received it yesterday (3 November). Your mileage may vary. I hope to find some time this weekend to install.
Would appreciate any updates on your hitch. I just received my Curt etrailer hitch and it is all scratched up as if someone tried to install and maybe did not fit. Also did you got with a 7 pin and if so what is your experience

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had UHaul install my hitch a week ago. It was CURT, looked stocked. I had dropped the spare wheel to get the 7 pin KIA harness installed before I brought it in, because of that the guy said it was the easiest install he ever had. No bracket hardware to mount the 7 pin harness came with the hitch so its still zip tied up under the number.

Going to purchase a Prodigy 2 hard wired brake controller. No muss settings and it's a proven design. Debating on the best place to mount it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your comments. Because my hitch arrived so scratched up from trailer I was a bit concerned that maybe it did not fit well and someone had already tried to install it. E trailer said they would buy me some paint for it (whoopee!!) yet Curt advertises "industries best finish". Trailer says "The hitches are shipped to us from the manufacturer stacked one on top of another and they can scratch each other up" so Curt's advertising their coatings seems to be a joke. Not impressed at all with ETrailer. Needs to be sanded, primed, and then painted as I want to tow salt water boat.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Tints and shades Art

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet as there are so many replies but someone has recommended this unit will fit Santa Cruz:
" the Kia Telluride kit works perfectly. Part number S9F67-AC500 installed last night "

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet as there are so many replies but someone has recommended this unit will fit Santa Cruz:
" the Kia Telluride kit works perfectly. Part number S9F67-AC500 installed last night "
If that was from Facebook it was me. And yes confirmed to fit I found that part number earlier in this same thread I think from someone else who had used it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For the Canadians here… our spec. might night be able to accommodate the Kia 7pin… stay tuned

·
Registered
51 Posts
For the Canadians here… our spec. might night be able to accommodate the Kia 7pin… stay tuned
Are there any Canadian owners on here who have tried the 7-pin Telluride harness? The dealer told me Kia and Hyundai have been using 4 to 7 pin adapters for years, and he said that's what they would use on my SC. He said this after he called over to Kia to ask about the Telluride harness for me.

Does that sound right to you guys? Would a mere $30 adapter be sufficient to serve as a 7-pin harness to wire a brake controller?

And while I'm here asking, the Curt Echo wireless might be a better option and save the whole controller installation and weird add-on knob on the dash, but they are pretty pricey. But if I went that route, the 4 to 7-pin adapter would likely be fine, yes?

BTW-- I am noob so please don't say "just wire it yourself." That makes my eyes bug out real big. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
Does that sound right to you guys? Would a mere $30 adapter be sufficient to serve as a 7-pin harness to wire a brake controller?
That's what I'm planning to do. Installed THIS plug and play Curt 4-PIN myself (yes, you can do this one) and plan to add THIS Curt "Dual-Output" 4-PIN to 4-PIN & 7-PIN once my U-Haul/Curt trailer hitch arrives (ordered back on September 23rd and still waiting...). Haven't given the electric brake controller much thought yet, but will also have to be added. U-Haul should be able to set you up for a minimal costs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's what I'm planning to do.

U-Haul should be able to set you up for a minimal costs.
Thanks HSC4ME. I’m glad to hear this.

Yes, UHaul quoted me $150 cheaper for hitch and install than Hyundai. But UHaul says they are 4-6 weeks out… sound familiar? Dealer has a couple in stock. Tough call.

And thanks for your confidence that I could wire it!

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
And thanks for your confidence that I could wire it!
That comment is meant for the Curt 4-PIN that you simply plug in after removing a plastic panel.

I would recommend having a professional wire up the Curt 7-PIN and controller, plus the hitch install if you are not confident in your personal mechanical and electrical skills.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You want the factory 7 pin because then you can use the brake controller wiring under the dash: The Official Santa Cruz Towing Threa
Do you mean the Telluride harness? Or do you believe an actual SC factory 7-pin will one day show up?

Here in Canada, Kia and Hyundai have just been using the 4 to 7 pin adapter on their various vehicles, according to 3 different dealers and as confirmed by U-Haul. So it is confusing.

Would sure love to hear if anyone has done this adapter method and installed a brake controller. Maybe HSC4ME will be the first when his hitch arrives?

I considered ordering the Telluride 7-pin from the states and handing it to my dealer for install with the hitch, but no one can confirm compatibility since they just use the adapter up here. Oy.

Also, regarding the great install post you linked, maybe it’s a waste to install the 4-pin “en route” to a 7-pin later of it turns out the adapter won’t work with a wired brake controller? (Why oh why couldn’t Hyundai just roll out the 7-pins with the vehicle!)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Why oh why couldn’t Hyundai just roll out the 7-pins with the vehicle!
Excellent question... I bet a pallet of these harnesses are sitting off the coast of LA right now.

The 7 pin Kia harness has been confirmed to work so I would have it installed. Dealers are generally clueless when it comes to this stuff, they only do what their computer system tells them, the don't cross reference stuff. Sure you could get a 4 to 7 pin adapter but why bother when you can just get the 7 pin to start with?

261 - 280 of 318 Posts